What is a Hybrid Mattress?
Last Updated on September 27, 2022
There are a lot of choices these days when it comes to picking a mattress. And wading through the options can leave your head spinning. But one specific type, the hybrid mattress, is a top seller for many great reasons.
If you're wondering how hybrids compare to other types of mattresses and if they’re worth the investment, this article is for you! We're going to lay out all the important information so you can make an informed decision on your next mattress investment with confidence. Read on to get started!
Overview: What Is a Hybrid Mattress, and Should You Get One?
Hybrid mattresses combine the soothing comfort of memory foam with the sturdy support of traditional innerspring models to deliver a "best-of-both-worlds" sleeping experience.
- Hybrid mattresses typically contain at least 2 layers, but some models contain up to 7!
- Back sleepers, combo sleepers, couples and heavier people enjoy hybrid mattresses for their gentle "hugging" comfort and study support.
- Hybrids comprise various materials, including coils, memory foam and/or latex.
- You won't need a box spring for a hybrid mattress. Most customers pair it with a platform bed frame or adjustable base. Most customers pair it with an adjustable base or a mattress foundation.
What is a Hybrid Mattress?
A hybrid mattress combines the best elements of a traditional coil mattress and a modern foam mattress to deliver reliable support and gentle contouring. Typically, hybrid mattresses come with two (or more) support & comfort layers, such as memory foam and innerspring coils, or latex and individually wrapped pocket coils for extra comfort.
Hybrid mattresses, especially those that come in a box, have garnered attention from savvy consumers looking for an approachable option that compares to—or exceeds—the quality and functionality of the world's most expensive and luxurious brands. And because so many people are happy with them, they’ve become the darling of the mattress industry.
What Are Hybrid Mattresses Made Of?
For a mattress to be considered "hybrid," it technically only needs 2 layers, an innerspring layer and some kind of foam layer, whether that’s latex, memory foam, cooling gel-infused memory foam or a specially designed foam. A higher-quality mattress will have several layers, ensuring it’ll last you for years to come. Below, take a look at our hybrid GhostBed Flex as an example.
Hybrid Mattress Pros and Cons
Buying a mattress is an endeavor that you shouldn't take lightly. After all, we spend a third of our lives asleep, on average. Many folks report being overwhelmed and don't know where to start when picking a new mattress. Is this you? If so, we'd like to help.
To help you identify the best mattress for your individual body and sleep needs, we’ll outline the pros and cons of a hybrid mattress below. We hope this information gets you a step or two closer to selecting the bed of your dreams.
Hybrid mattress pros
The main advantage of a hybrid mattress lies in its ability to provide hugging comfort paired with the support of a coil mattress. But the benefits don't end there.
- Suitable for a diverse range of body types. Whether you're built like a football player or a ballet dancer, the synergy between foam and coils make hybrid mattresses a great all-around option. This is especially helpful if you and your sleeping partner have different body types.
- Resilience. Hybrid mattresses typically last much longer than all-foam models because the coils extend the life of your investment.
- Reliability. Traditional spring and all-foam beds are known to sag over time, especially when they're not rotated regularly. Hybrids will provide a reliable, supportive place for you to sleep for much longer than single-material beds.
Hybrid mattress cons
As with any purchase, it's important to consider the downsides before pulling the trigger. Here are a few cons to consider regarding hybrid mattresses.
- Motion transfer. The innerspring coils in a hybrid mattress provide an excellent level of support, but coils, in general, are known to cause a bit more motion transfer than an all-foam bed. If you are a restless sleeper, this may be an issue. We suggest opting for a hybrid mattress that incorporates individually wrapped coils to avoid disrupting motion transfer. (All of our hybrid mattresses here at GhostBed use individually wrapped coils!)
- Cost. Some hybrid models can cost big bucks. But don’t worry—there are incredibly comfortable and durable options within almost any price point. Remember, it's always better to pay a little more upfront than have to replace a mattress sooner than expected.
Do you need a box spring with a hybrid mattress?
One of the best parts about opting for a hybrid mattress is that it can be delivered right to your door as a bed-in-a-box. And if you're wondering if you'll need a bulky or awkward box spring for a hybrid mattress, the answer is absolutely not!
With the attractive minimalistic draw of platform bed frames, and the versatile, health-boosting benefits of a zero-gravity adjustable base, you may not want to bring a box spring into the equation—and that's okay! Hybrid mattresses allow you to have more freedom in the way you set up and style your bedroom, making your sleeping experience fully customizable and catered to you. If you prefer a box spring, you can use it; you just don't have to like you do with traditional coil mattresses.
How Do Hybrid Mattresses Compare to Other Mattress Styles?
What's the difference between a hybrid mattress and a 'regular' mattress? Quite a lot, actually! Read on to get the low-down on how hybrid models stack up against the competition.
Hybrid mattresses vs. traditional innerspring mattresses
If you're used to the support of a traditional innerspring mattress but notice you're waking up with unexplained aches and pains, it may be time to join team hybrid. As we age or experience different life events, such as pregnancy, our bodies will require various kinds of support. We hear from our customers that trying a hybrid model is a wonderful way to try out memory foam without losing the support they crave.
Hybrid mattresses vs. latex mattresses
Comfort-wise, both latex and hybrid mattresses have their advantages. For example, a latex mattress offers a unique, responsive feel that some people love. On the other hand, hybrid mattresses tend to have a more supportive feel to them because of the coils. Both beds sleep cool thanks to the airflow created by the coils in the hybrid and latex’s natural ability to regulate temperature.
Hybrid mattresses vs. all-foam mattresses
Memory foam mattresses are popular these days, but they’re not for everyone! Traditional memory foam is known to retain heat, which isn’t great for hot sleepers. Some people also find that moving around on them can be difficult, and getting intimate on them is just different. Many people love them, though—it just comes down to personal preference!
Comfort-wise, memory foam mattresses may feel a bit softer and more contouring than hybrid beds. But it’s important to note that hybrids often contain special comfort layers (including memory foam) to keep things plush and cozy. If you are on the heavier side and like a supportive sleep but want to still feel the comforting “hug” of a memory foam mattress, we suggest going with a hybrid mattress.
Just remember: perceived mattress firmness and comfort will differ depending on your weight and body type. For example, a heavier person may experience a firm bed as being softer than a lighter-weight person.
Who Should Get a Hybrid Mattress?
Are hybrid mattresses better than other options? Choosing between memory foam, latex, innerspring and hybrid mattresses can be difficult—we get it. Ultimately, you will need to weigh your options. Selecting a bed well suited to you is the goal, so comparing the pros and cons above should help you arrive at your conclusion.
Frankly, hybrid mattresses are a suitable option for anyone who loves a balanced feel. Still, we have found that people in a few specific situations tend to be incredibly happy with a hybrid mattress.
- Back sleepers and people with back pain who need solid support & light contouring.
- Combo sleepers, by definition, like to switch things up a bit. Well, hybrid mattresses are no different. Hybrid mattresses like to mix things up with an exciting variety of materials and layers to curate a sleeping experience as unique as your ever-changing sleep position.
- Couples with different sleeping preferences are well suited to a hybrid designed to deliver a balanced medium feel, like our GhostBed Flex. This way everyone's happy!
- Heavier people enjoy the reliable and sturdy support from the coils. If you consider yourself to be on the "plus" side, look for a hybrid mattress with edge support as well.
Picking a mattress can be overwhelming, but we here at GhostBed are always happy to help you figure out what's best for you. Our Sleep Experts are standing by and ready to help you get started today! And if this article has helped you determine that a hybrid mattress is what you want, we have a few options. Our GhostBed Flex, for example, is a supportive yet soft mattress option that combines individually wrapped coils with the luxurious comfort of gel memory foam, for a relaxing night of sleep you'll love.
After undergoing three neck surgeries, Marc knew what it was like to live and sleep in constant pain. In 2001, after searching fruitlessly for a comfortable pillow and mattress that supported his neck and back ... Learn More
Quality • Comfort • Cooling
From $1,345.00 $942.00Shop Mattresses
- How to Choose the Best Mattress for You
- GhostBed’s Mattress Size Guide
- Mattress Disposal & Donation Guide
- Do I Need a Box Spring with My Mattress?
- How You Can Finance a Mattress Easily: Two Finance Options
- When Should I Replace My Mattress: The Definitive Guide
- The 3-Step Process to Buying a Mattress Online
- What is the Best Memory Foam Mattress To Purchase?
- Shipping a Mattress: Top Questions Answered
- Memory Foam Mattress in a Box
- How Long Does a Mattress Last?
- How to Choose a Mattress Type: Memory Foam, Latex, Innerspring, Hybrid
- Guide: Why Buy a Split King Mattress Bed
- How Much Does a Good Mattress Cost? (2022 Guide)
- Guide: Firm vs Soft Mattress - Pros & Cons
- Mattress Firmness Guide & Scale
- What is a Hybrid Mattress?
- Are Split Beds Good for Couples? 3 Reasons We Love Them
- Learn How to Clean Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How To Remove Blood Stains From Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Get Urine Out of Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Disinfect & Sanitize Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How To Flip or Rotate Your Mattress (and Why You Should)
- Top 10 Reasons for Eco Friendly Mattress Cleaning
- How To Move a Mattress: Step-by-Step Guide
- Battle of the Beds: Memory Foam vs. Spring Mattresses
- Which is Best: Foundation vs Boxspring
- Which is Best: Latex vs Memory Foam Mattress
- GhostBed vs. Casper Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Purple Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Leesa Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tuft & Needle Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tempur-Pedic Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Lull Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Loom & Leaf Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Saatva Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Brooklyn Bedding Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Helix Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Novosbed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Yogabed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Nectar Mattress Review
- GhostBed Natural vs. Awara Premier Natural Hybrid Mattress
- GhostBed Luxe vs Purple 4, Casper Wave, Leesa Sapira & Tempur-Pedic
- 10 Health Benefits of an Adjustable Bed Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Amerisleep Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Lucid Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Tempur-Ergo Plus Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leesa Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Nectar Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leggett & Platt Simplicity 3.0 Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Reverie 4M Adjustable Base
- 6 Benefits of Sleeping with Your Legs Elevated
- 9 Benefits of Sleeping With Your Head Elevated
- 10 Quality of Life Benefits of an Adjustable Base Bed
- 6 Benefits of a Zero Gravity Adjustable Bed Base
- How to Sleep Better with Acid Reflux
- Sleeping Elevated Helps with Spinal Alignment & Spinal Health
- Timeline & History of Adjustable Base Bed
- Why GhostBed’s Adjustable Base is High Quality but Less Expensive Than the Competition?
- What Kind of Mattress Works with an Adjustable Bed?
- How to Use a Bed Frame with an Adjustable Base
- How to Elevate Your Legs While Sleeping On Your Side
- Can You Get a Mattress with Two Different Firmness Levels?
- How to Hide an Adjustable Bed Frame: 4 Design Tips
- Do You Need Special Sheets for an Adjustable Bed?
- GhostPillow vs MyPillow® Comparison
- Cooling Pillow Technology and Benefits
- Guide: How to Wash Any Pillow
- Guide: Best Pillow for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Hip Pain for 2021
- Best Sleeping Positions for Back Pain
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Arthritis for 2020
- Guide: Best Firm Mattress for 2020
- Best Mattress for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Stomach Sleepers
- Best Mattress for Back Pain
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Kids
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for the Money
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Heavy People
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Athletes
- Guide: The Best Mattresses for All Types of Couples
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Snoring
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Fibromyalgia
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Sex
- What is the Best Side to Sleep on: Left or Right?
- Best Sleep Positions During Pregnancy
- Easy Guide to Determining How Much Sleep You Need
- 16 Tips on How to Fall Asleep Quickly
- 4 Tips to Do When You Can't Sleep
- 9 FAQs: Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Cooling Tips for Better Sleep
- Guide: Best Cooling Mattress for Hot Sleepers
- Guide: Science and Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Sleep Trimester Guide for Pregnancy: 1st, 2nd & 3rd Trimester
- Tips for Healthy Sleeping During Pregnancy
- Sleeping When You’re Sick: How to Get the Rest You Need
- Guide: How to Sleep with Insomnia & Sleep Better
- Guide: Restless Legs Syndrome and Sleep
- Guide: Tips & Tricks to Get Kids to Sleep & Recommended Sleep Hours
- Narcolepsy Guide: Signs & Treatments to Relieve Narcolepsy
- Guide: How to sleep Better with a Chronic Illness
- Guide: The Importance of Sleep for Weight Loss
- Sleeping Tips: Complete Sleep Tips Guide for New Moms
- How to Use a Headboard With an Adjustable Base
- 6 Surprising Reasons Why You Can't Get Comfortable in Your Bed
- How to Train Yourself to Sleep on Your Back
- Sleeping in a Chair: Is it Bad for You?
- Size Comparison Guide: Twin vs Twin XL Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: Full vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: King vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: California King vs King Mattress
- The Ultimate Guide to Pillowcases
- Guide: 3 Key Benefits of Silk Pillowcases
- Guide: How to Choose the Best Silk Pillowcase
- Silk Pillowcases: Your Newest Beauty Secret
- Guide: How to Wash Your Silk Pillowcase
- Guide: What is Mulberry Silk?
- How to Care for Your Silk Pillowcase
- How Often to Replace Bed Sheets
- How to Buy the Right Bed Sheets
- How to Wash Bed Sheets
- Guide: Everything You Need to Know About Supima Cotton
- Guide to Cotton Sheets: What to Know About Egyptian, Pima and Supima
- Guide: Why Thread Count Does Not Matter When Buying Sheets
- Guide: Why Buy Cooling Bed Sheets
- Guide: How To Choose the Best Bed Sheets
- Guide to TENCEL® Sheets: Everything You Need to Know
- How to Shop for Sheets that Don't Pill
- What Are OEKO-TEX® Sheets?
- What Are Deep Pocket Sheets? Everything You Need to Know
- Mattress Toppers: What Are They & Are They Worth It?
- Guide: How to Select the Best Mattress Topper
- 5 Ways to Make Your Mattress More Comfortable
- How Do I Make My “Hot” Mattress Sleep Cooler?
- How to Care for Your Memory Foam Mattress Topper
- Weighted Blanket Size Guide: Determining the Right Size
- Benefits of Weighted Blankets for Autism
- 10 Health-Boosting Benefits of Weighted Blankets
- 4 Ways to Make Your RV Bed More Comfortable
- Sleeping on the Road: A Guide to Mattress Sizes for RVs and More
- 7 Hacks For Sleeping Cool in Your RV
- Guide: 7 Road Trip Essentials for Your Next RV Trip
- Guide: How to Shop for RV Bedding
- What is a Short Queen Mattress? Your Guide to the Popular RV Size
- 5 Things to Ask Yourself Before Replacing Your RV Mattress