The Benefits and 4-Step Process to Rotating Your Mattress
Last Updated on June 15, 2021
Rotating your new mattress on a regular basis will prolong the life of your bed in order to continue to give you the best sleep possible. Read the 4-step process to rotating your mattress.
In the years before memory foam and pillow top mattresses it was common practice to flip and rotate one’s bed every three months. Your dream memory foam mattress is crafted out of specific layers that should not be flipped but should still be rotated every three months. This is an important practice that will lengthen the life of your mattress investment.
Method 1: Plan Bed Rotation
Method 2: Ready For Rotation
Method 3: Time to Rotate
Method 4: Rotate: Fresh Rotation, Fresh Bed
STEP 1: Plan Bed Rotation
Twin sized beds are fairly easy to rotate as they are small and manageable for one person. As the mattress gets larger you may want to have someone help you with the rotating responsibilities. Plan rotating the mattress and set reminders for every three months that will be easy to remember.
- Start the new year rotating the mattress.
- April Fool’s Day can be your second mattress rotation day of the year.
- Celebrate independence by rotating your mattress for July Fourth.
- Get ready for fall snuggling with the last mattress rotation of the year on October First.
STEP 2: Ready for Rotation
A large mattress will need a large space to rotate into. You will be turning the mattress a full 180-dgrees which means you should ready the room for the rotation. If not, you may find that your mattress may turn into a bull in a china shop knocking and breaking items in its way.
- Remove bedside lamps and breakable items from atop nightstands.
- Move bedside tables, desks or vanity into area away from bed
- Remove all bedding.
STEP 3: Time to Rotate
Depending on your bed frame will also depend on how difficult this job will be. If you only have the mattress sitting upon a foundation with a headboard it will be a lot easier than rotating a mattress that sits within a four poster bed with headboard and footboard. You will definitely need help with larger beds that have fancier frames.
- You will be rotating the mattress 180-degrees so that what was once the head of the bed will now be the foot.
- Have a person on each side of the mattress to pick up bed evenly.
- Plan your move either clockwise or counter clockwise to move the mattress so that you can start your rotation.
- If no headboard or footboard, simply glide the mattress into the rotation place.
- With a headboard then move the mattress away from head of bed in order to rotate smoothly.
- For a bed with a headboard and footboard, carefully turn mattress lifting it up and resting it on the footboard as your rotate it.
- Once you have rotated the mattress make sure that it is centered on the bed frame and ready to be made up
STEP 4: Rotate: Fresh Rotation, Fresh Bed
Before rotating a bed, you strip the mattress of linen and bed covers. This is also a good time to remove the bed skirt to clean. Think of this as a great occasion to seasonally clean your bed area.
- Vacuum under and around bed.
- If chosen furnishing, place clean bed skirt in place.
- After rotating, make up mattress with fresh sheets and bedding changed for each season as well if desired.
As you sleep in place your bed will memorize your body, possibly forming an indent. By rotating your bed regularly, the mattress will have a chance to recover as you spread your body’s weight to new areas. Rotating your new mattress on a regular basis will prolong the life of your bed in order to continue to give you the best sleep possible.
After undergoing three neck surgeries, Marc knew what it was like to live and sleep in constant pain. In 2001, after searching fruitlessly for a comfortable pillow and mattress that supported his neck and back ... Learn More
Quality • Comfort • Cooling
From $1,070.00 $749.00Shop Mattresses
- How to Choose the Best Mattress for You
- GhostBed’s Mattress Size Guide
- Mattress Disposal & Donation Guide
- Do I Need a Box Spring with My Mattress?
- How You Can Finance a Mattress Easily: Two Finance Options
- When Should I Replace My Mattress: The Definitive Guide
- Three Step-Process to Buying a Mattress Online
- What is the Best Memory Foam Mattress To Purchase?
- Shipping a Mattress: Top Questions Answered
- Memory Foam Mattress in a Box
- How Long Does a Mattress Last?
- How to Choose a Mattress Type: Memory Foam, Latex, Innerspring, Hybrid
- Guide: Why Buy a Split King Mattress Bed
- How Much Does a Good Mattress Cost?
- Guide: Firm vs Soft Mattress - Pros & Cons
- Mattress Firmness Guide & Scale
- Learn How to Clean Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How To Remove Blood Stains From Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Get Urine Stains & Smells Out of Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Disinfect and Sanitize Your Memory Foam Mattress
- The Benefits and 4-Step Process to Rotating Your Mattress
- Top 10 Reasons for Eco Friendly Mattress Cleaning
- How to Save a Water Damaged Mattress During a Hurricane or Flood
- How To Move a Mattress: Step-by-Step Guide
- Which is Best: Memory Foam vs Spring Mattress
- Which is Best: Foundation vs Boxspring
- Which is Best: Latex vs Memory Foam Mattress
- GhostBed vs. Casper Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Purple Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Leesa Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tuft & Needle Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tempur-Pedic Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Lull Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Loom & Leaf Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Saatva Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Brooklyn Bedding Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Helix Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Novosbed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Yogabed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Nectar Mattress Review
- GhostBed Luxe vs Purple 4, Casper Wave, Leesa Sapira & Tempur-Pedic
- 10 Health Benefits of an Adjustable Bed Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Amerisleep Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Lucid Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Tempur-Ergo Plus Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leesa Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Nectar Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leggett & Platt Simplicity 3.0 Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Reverie 4M Adjustable Base
- 6 Benefits of Sleeping with Your Legs Elevated
- 9 Benefits of Sleeping Elevated
- 10 Quality of Life Benefits of an Adjustable Base Bed
- 6 Benefits of a Zero Gravity Adjustable Bed Base
- How to Sleep Better with Acid Reflux
- Sleeping Elevated Helps with Spinal Alignment & Spinal Health
- Timeline & History of Adjustable Base Bed
- Why GhostBed’s Adjustable Base is High Quality but Less Expensive Than the Competition?
- GhostPillow vs MyPillow® Comparison
- Cooling Pillow Technology and Benefits
- Guide: How to Wash Any Pillow
- Guide: Best Pillow for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Hip Pain for 2021
- Best Sleeping Positions for Back Pain
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Arthritis for 2020
- Guide: Best Firm Mattress for 2020
- Best Mattress for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Stomach Sleepers
- Best Mattress for Back Pain
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Kids
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for the Money
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Heavy People
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Athletes
- Guide: The Best Mattresses for All Types of Couples
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Snoring
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Fibromyalgia
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Sex
- What is the Best Side to Sleep on: Left or Right?
- Best Sleep Positions During Pregnancy
- Easy Guide to Determining How Much Sleep You Need
- 16 Tips on How to Fall Asleep Quickly
- 4 Tips to Do When You Can't Sleep
- 9 FAQs: Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Cooling Tips for Better Sleep
- Guide: Best Cooling Mattress for Hot Sleepers
- Guide: Science and Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Sleep Trimester Guide for Pregnancy: 1st, 2nd & 3rd Trimester
- Tips for Healthy Sleeping During Pregnancy
- 9 Sleep Tips When Feeling Sick & How to Recover Fast
- Guide: How to Sleep with Insomnia & Sleep Better
- Guide: Restless Legs Syndrome and Sleep
- Guide: Tips & Tricks to Get Kids to Sleep & Recommended Sleep Hours
- Narcolepsy Guide: Signs & Treatments to Relieve Narcolepsy
- Guide: How to sleep Better with a Chronic Illness
- Guide: The Importance of Sleep for Weight Loss
- Sleeping Tips: Complete Sleep Tips Guide for New Moms
- Size Comparison Guide: Twin vs Twin XL Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: Full vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: King vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: California King vs King Mattress
- The Ultimate Guide to Pillowcases
- Guide: 3 Key Benefits of Silk Pillowcases
- Guide: How to Choose the Best Silk Pillowcase
- Silk Pillowcases: Your Newest Beauty Secret
- Guide: How to Wash Your Silk Pillowcase
- Guide: What is Mulberry Silk?
- How to Care for Your Silk Pillowcase
- How Often to Replace Bed Sheets
- How to Buy the Right Bed Sheets
- How to Wash Bed Sheets
- Guide: Everything You Need to Know About Supima Cotton
- Guide to Cotton Sheets: What to Know About Egyptian, Pima and Supima
- Guide: Why Thread Count Does Not Matter When Buying Sheets
- Guide: Why Buy Cooling Bed Sheets
- Guide: How To Choose the Best Bed Sheets