Guide to TENCEL® Sheets: Everything You Need to Know
Last Updated on May 10, 2022
When shopping for new sheets, you're likely on the lookout for a set that is soft and breathable, easy to wash and goes with your other bedding and decor. In this extensive search, you may have come across some of the many benefits of TENCEL®. But what exactly are TENCEL® sheets, and are they worth all the hype?
Here, we'll explain more about what TENCEL® is, some of the material's main benefits and drawbacks, and why so many people are choosing to stock their home with TENCEL® sheets and bedding. Read on to find out if TENCEL® is right for you!
Overview: What to Know About TENCEL® Sheets
TENCEL® is an environmentally-friendly material made out of wood pulp and is used in everything from denim to bedsheets.
- Because TENCEL® is all-natural, sheets made with this material are incredibly breathable, cooling and moisture-wicking.
- TENCEL® sheets might be more expensive than cotton or synthetic sheets, but they can last much longer with proper care.
What are TENCEL® Sheets?
TENCEL® sheets are made out of natural fibers extracted from raw wood. TENCEL® fibers are used in many products like jeans, jackets and of course, sheets. The material offers long-lasting natural comfort and is naturally soft to the touch with an exquisitely soft hand feel. This super-soft material creates luxurious bed linen that is made to last.
In addition to being soft and sheen, many manufacturers are turning to TENCEL® because of its promise of sustainability. The fibers are made from renewable wood, manufactured in environmentally responsible production plants and certified as compostable and biodegradable.
TENCEL® is a brand name for a set of fibers called modal and lyocell (think of it like how the brand name “Kleenex” is often used to describe all facial tissue brands). Lyocell fibers are known for their natural comfort and can be combined with a wide range of fabrics, such as cotton or polyester. The great benefits of TENCEL®, including strength, moisture absorption and gentleness, complement the other materials that the TENCEL® lyocell fibers are combined with.
TENCEL® Modal fibers are extremely soft and enhance the textiles they complement. They can be blended with other fibers to make them softer and more comfortable. Modal fibers are fantastic for lighter and thinner fabrics like those used in undergarments, loungewear and bed sheets.
Benefits of TENCEL® Sheets
There are many benefits of TENCEL® sheets, which is why this material is becoming more popular. TENCEL® sheets are:
- Breathable - Because they are made from natural materials, TENCEL® fibers are extremely breathable.
- Durable - TENCEL® sheets withstand washings year after year
- Soft - The wood fibers in TENCEL® materials make them soft to the touch
- Eco-friendly - TENCEL® sheets are made from wood and are biodegradable and compostable. TENCEL® is proud of the fact that their materials enter back into nature's cycle.
- Moisture-wicking - TENCEL® sheets have excellent moisture-wicking properties, which is especially important for hot, sweaty sleepers.
- Cooling - Another benefit of buying linens made from all-natural materials is that they will keep you more comfortable at night, just one of the reasons to invest in cooling bed sheets.
One of the reasons we chose to create our GhostSheets with TENCEL® fibers is that we can offer all of these benefits at an affordable price point. Our sheets are dubbed “the coolest sheets in the world” because of all the great characteristics of TENCEL® fibers.
Drawbacks of TENCEL® Sheets
Of course, there are some drawbacks or things to consider when shopping for TENCEL® sheets.
One of the primary considerations is that TENCEL® sheets are sometimes more expensive than cotton sheets or sheets made out of synthetic material such as polyester. This is because TENCEL® is a natural material that is of much higher caliber. And although the initial price point might be slightly higher, a good set of TENCEL® sheets will last you years with proper care.
Speaking of proper care, TENCEL® is a worry-free fabric when it comes to washing, and it won't shrink in the dryer! Most TENCEL® sheets can be washed on a cold or warm cycle right in the washing machine. You can either hang dry your sheets or dry them on a low-heat cycle. Be sure to read the label on your sheets to take care of them properly.
In addition to TENCEL® sheets, you can also shop for other bedding products that feature TENCEL®, including duvet covers, pillowcases and comforters.
TENCEL® Sheets FAQ
After learning what TENCEL® fibers are and why people love TENCEL® sheets, here are some commonly asked questions to help you further decide if this material is right for you.
Are TENCEL® Sheets Better Than Cotton Sheets?
Whether or not TENCEL® sheets are better than cotton sheets depends on your unique sleeping needs. TENCEL® sheets are more expensive but may last longer than cotton sheets. And while they are generally easy to care for, laundering cotton sheets might be more straightforward for some sleepers.
Does Thread Count Matter with TENCEL® Sheets?
Most people are used to judging the quality of their sheets based on the thread count, but when it comes to TENCEL® sheets, thread count doesn't matter. In fact, many TENCEL® sheet manufacturers don't even put a thread count on their sheets. Instead, they focus on the quality of the fibers. While it's easy to assume that a higher thread count means better sheets, this number doesn't take the quality of the fabric into account, so we don't recommend relying on this metric.
Are TENCEL® Sheets Worth It?
TENCEL® sheets are silky smooth, last a long time, are easy to take care of and are super soft, cooling and breathable. Because we spend so much time sleeping, we can confidently say that yes, TENCEL® sheets are worth it! Investing in your sleep is a genius move that will pay off in dividends in the form of improved mood, a healthier body and even better relationships with your loved ones.
How Do You Wash TENCEL® Sheets?
We recommend washing your TENCEL® sheets on a cool or warm cycle and line-drying to preserve the fibers, color and elasticity. If you're using a dryer, choose a low-heat and a low-tumble cycle to keep your sheets ultra-soft and crisp.
Are You Ready to Try TENCEL®?
If you're ready to branch out into the world of TENCEL®, our GhostSheets are the perfect pick. They are crafted with premium Supima cotton blended with TENCEL® to bring you the coolest, most breathable sheets around. Plus, because we're so confident in their durability and design, our sheets come with a 3-year warranty so there's really no downside to giving them a try!
After undergoing three neck surgeries, Marc knew what it was like to live and sleep in constant pain. In 2001, after searching fruitlessly for a comfortable pillow and mattress that supported his neck and back ... Learn More
Quality • Comfort • Cooling
From $1,270.00 $889.00Shop Mattresses
- How to Choose the Best Mattress for You
- GhostBed’s Mattress Size Guide
- Mattress Disposal & Donation Guide
- Do I Need a Box Spring with My Mattress?
- How You Can Finance a Mattress Easily: Two Finance Options
- When Should I Replace My Mattress: The Definitive Guide
- The 3-Step Process to Buying a Mattress Online
- What is the Best Memory Foam Mattress To Purchase?
- Shipping a Mattress: Top Questions Answered
- Memory Foam Mattress in a Box
- How Long Does a Mattress Last?
- How to Choose a Mattress Type: Memory Foam, Latex, Innerspring, Hybrid
- Guide: Why Buy a Split King Mattress Bed
- How Much Does a Good Mattress Cost?
- Guide: Firm vs Soft Mattress - Pros & Cons
- Mattress Firmness Guide & Scale
- What is a Hybrid Mattress?
- Learn How to Clean Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How To Remove Blood Stains From Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Get Urine Out of Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Disinfect & Sanitize Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How To Flip or Rotate Your Mattress (and Why You Should)
- Top 10 Reasons for Eco Friendly Mattress Cleaning
- How To Move a Mattress: Step-by-Step Guide
- Battle of the Beds: Memory Foam vs. Spring Mattresses
- Which is Best: Foundation vs Boxspring
- Which is Best: Latex vs Memory Foam Mattress
- GhostBed vs. Casper Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Purple Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Leesa Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tuft & Needle Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tempur-Pedic Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Lull Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Loom & Leaf Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Saatva Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Brooklyn Bedding Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Helix Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Novosbed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Yogabed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Nectar Mattress Review
- GhostBed Luxe vs Purple 4, Casper Wave, Leesa Sapira & Tempur-Pedic
- 10 Health Benefits of an Adjustable Bed Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Amerisleep Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Lucid Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Tempur-Ergo Plus Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leesa Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Nectar Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leggett & Platt Simplicity 3.0 Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Reverie 4M Adjustable Base
- 6 Benefits of Sleeping with Your Legs Elevated
- 9 Benefits of Sleeping With Your Head Elevated
- 10 Quality of Life Benefits of an Adjustable Base Bed
- 6 Benefits of a Zero Gravity Adjustable Bed Base
- How to Sleep Better with Acid Reflux
- Sleeping Elevated Helps with Spinal Alignment & Spinal Health
- Timeline & History of Adjustable Base Bed
- Why GhostBed’s Adjustable Base is High Quality but Less Expensive Than the Competition?
- What Kind of Mattress Works with an Adjustable Bed?
- GhostPillow vs MyPillow® Comparison
- Cooling Pillow Technology and Benefits
- Guide: How to Wash Any Pillow
- Guide: Best Pillow for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Hip Pain for 2021
- Best Sleeping Positions for Back Pain
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Arthritis for 2020
- Guide: Best Firm Mattress for 2020
- Best Mattress for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Stomach Sleepers
- Best Mattress for Back Pain
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Kids
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for the Money
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Heavy People
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Athletes
- Guide: The Best Mattresses for All Types of Couples
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Snoring
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Fibromyalgia
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Sex
- What is the Best Side to Sleep on: Left or Right?
- Best Sleep Positions During Pregnancy
- Easy Guide to Determining How Much Sleep You Need
- 16 Tips on How to Fall Asleep Quickly
- 4 Tips to Do When You Can't Sleep
- 9 FAQs: Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Cooling Tips for Better Sleep
- Guide: Best Cooling Mattress for Hot Sleepers
- Guide: Science and Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Sleep Trimester Guide for Pregnancy: 1st, 2nd & 3rd Trimester
- Tips for Healthy Sleeping During Pregnancy
- Sleeping When You’re Sick: How to Get the Rest You Need
- Guide: How to Sleep with Insomnia & Sleep Better
- Guide: Restless Legs Syndrome and Sleep
- Guide: Tips & Tricks to Get Kids to Sleep & Recommended Sleep Hours
- Narcolepsy Guide: Signs & Treatments to Relieve Narcolepsy
- Guide: How to sleep Better with a Chronic Illness
- Guide: The Importance of Sleep for Weight Loss
- Sleeping Tips: Complete Sleep Tips Guide for New Moms
- How to Use a Headboard With an Adjustable Base
- 6 Surprising Reasons Why You Can't Get Comfortable in Your Bed
- Size Comparison Guide: Twin vs Twin XL Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: Full vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: King vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: California King vs King Mattress
- The Ultimate Guide to Pillowcases
- Guide: 3 Key Benefits of Silk Pillowcases
- Guide: How to Choose the Best Silk Pillowcase
- Silk Pillowcases: Your Newest Beauty Secret
- Guide: How to Wash Your Silk Pillowcase
- Guide: What is Mulberry Silk?
- How to Care for Your Silk Pillowcase
- How Often to Replace Bed Sheets
- How to Buy the Right Bed Sheets
- How to Wash Bed Sheets
- Guide: Everything You Need to Know About Supima Cotton
- Guide to Cotton Sheets: What to Know About Egyptian, Pima and Supima
- Guide: Why Thread Count Does Not Matter When Buying Sheets
- Guide: Why Buy Cooling Bed Sheets
- Guide: How To Choose the Best Bed Sheets
- Guide to TENCEL® Sheets: Everything You Need to Know
- Mattress Toppers: What Are They & Are They Worth It?
- Guide: How to Select the Best Mattress Topper
- 5 Ways to Make Your Mattress More Comfortable
- How Do I Make My “Hot” Mattress Sleep Cooler?
- How to Care for Your Memory Foam Mattress Topper
- Weighted Blanket Size Guide: Determining the Right Size
- Benefits of Weighted Blankets for Autism
- 10 Health-Boosting Benefits of Weighted Blankets