Guide: Everything You Need to Know About Supima Cotton
Last Updated on July 20, 2021
So you’ve invested in a high-quality cooling memory foam or hybrid mattress, and you're ready for your best night of sleep yet. But if you’re still sleeping on old, scratchy sheets, it may be time for an upgrade!
Buying quality sheets can be overwhelming when you see how many options are out there. Search for cotton sheets alone and you’ll find a variety of thread counts and price points. In this article, we’ll dive into the world of Supima cotton sheets, one of the best cotton sheet types available. What exactly is Supima cotton, and why is it so great? Keep reading to find out.
I. What Is Supima Cotton?
II. Why Should I Use Supima Cotton?
III.Supima Cotton FAQs
IV. GhostBed's Luxury Sheet Set
I. What is Supima Cotton?
Supima cotton refers to a type of Pima cotton that is American-grown. It’s a trademarked brand, so it’s stringently regulated and products with a Supima cotton label have to be verified for authenticity before they are sold. When you buy Supima cotton, you’re getting a guarantee that there won’t be any lower quality fibers blended in with it.
The name combines “superior” + “Pima,” referring to its high-quality standards. Pima is an extra-long staple cotton (ELS), and Supima takes that up a notch. 35% longer than other cottons, Supima is known for its strength, softness, and comfort.
It’s also quite rare: only 1% of cotton grown in the world is Supima cotton. This luxury fabric requires a hot environment and a long growing season; the West and Southwest regions of the US (California, Arizona, Texas and New Mexico) provide ideal conditions.
II. Why Supima Cotton?
You can expect Supima cotton to be a little more expensive than other cotton blends, but there are some good reasons why this is.
1. It's Breathable
Supima cotton is one of the longest ELS cottons, and the long fibers result in a stronger yarn overall. Because of that, Supima can be made much finer than other cotton types. A finer weave makes the fabric lightweight and breathable, making it the perfect option for those who tend to sleep warm.
If you’ve ever woken up in the middle of the night, drenched in sweat, you know the feeling of sleeping with sheets that aren’t breathable. Staying cool while you sleep is so important!
2. It's Durable
As you use and wash sheets, the fibers get worn out. Lower-quality sheets will get thinner over time and may even tear. The strength and durability of Supima, on the other hand, means your sheets will last much longer. It’s twice as strong as regular cotton, so it resists tearing, pilling and fading even after dozens of washings. Its fibers also absorb dye better, allowing for more vibrant colors that stay that way.
3. It’s Softer
In addition to being breathable and more durable, Supima cotton is also much softer than regular cotton. This is again due to the fine weave, which gives it a silkier and softer feel. As you wrap yourself in your Supima sheets, you’ll feel like you’re truly sleeping in luxury!
4. It’s More Environmentally Friendly
Finally, Supima cotton is sustainable by nature. The farmers that grow it use some of the most technologically advanced agricultural processes available, including maximum-efficiency water use and soil conservation. Using GPS and satellite technology, they can quickly identify pest issues and provide targeted treatment just to the areas of the field that need it.
III. Supima Cotton FAQs
How can I be sure the sheets I'm buying are Supima cotton?
Read the product specifications and label. Brands, like GhostBed, that use the Supima cotton will refer to this luxurious material when describing their superior sheets.
What makes Supima better than Egyptian Cotton?
Egyptian cotton is only an indication of what part of the world the fabric comes from and does not necessarily mean it is of higher excellence. Supima cotton is guaranteed by the Supima association to be an extra-long fiber cotton that is of premium quality made in the United States.
What sets Supima cotton apart from common regular cotton?
Regular cottons are commonly grown globally. These cottons have an average fiber length of 1-inch that are made into yarn that produces rougher sheets that are prone to pilling and tearing. Supima cotton fibers are typically 1.5-inches. The longer fiber produces a yarn that weave sheets that are softer and more durable.
How do I care for my Supima cotton sheets?
Although more luxurious than regular cotton, Supima is still cotton and easy to care for. Unlike regular cotton that will lose its strength with every wash, Supima sheets will retain their durability for a much longer period of time. In addition, with every wash your sheet will feel even softer and more sumptuous.
What is the thread count of supima cotton?
Supima proves that thread-count does not matter when it comes to being exceptional. Sheets crafted from this material are softer, more breathable, and more durable than other kinds of cotton that depend on a heavier condensed thread-count.
Is Supima cotton organic?
Some Supima cotton is considered organic, which means it’s grown according to the Global Organic Textile Standards (GOTS). Check the product specifications and label to look for the designation.
Does Supima cotton shrink?
Because of its long-staple strength, Supima cotton is much less likely to shrink than other cotton types. However, make sure to read the label and follow the care instructions closely for best results.
IV. GhostBed’s Luxury Sheet Set
For a cool, comfortable night of sleep, our premium GhostSheets take the cake! Crafted with USA-made Supima cotton blended with cooling and eco-friendly TENCEL® fibers, GhostSheets are high-quality sheets at an affordable price. Plus, with the 2” GhostGrip band, your sheets stay on securely, all night long.
After undergoing three neck surgeries, Marc knew what it was like to live and sleep in constant pain. In 2001, after searching fruitlessly for a comfortable pillow and mattress that supported his neck and back ... Learn More
Quality • Comfort • Cooling
From $1,070.00 $749.00Shop Mattresses
- How to Choose the Best Mattress for You
- GhostBed’s Mattress Size Guide
- Mattress Disposal & Donation Guide
- Do I Need a Box Spring with My Mattress?
- How You Can Finance a Mattress Easily: Two Finance Options
- When Should I Replace My Mattress: The Definitive Guide
- Three Step-Process to Buying a Mattress Online
- What is the Best Memory Foam Mattress To Purchase?
- Shipping a Mattress: Top Questions Answered
- Memory Foam Mattress in a Box
- How Long Does a Mattress Last?
- How to Choose a Mattress Type: Memory Foam, Latex, Innerspring, Hybrid
- Guide: Why Buy a Split King Mattress Bed
- How Much Does a Good Mattress Cost?
- Guide: Firm vs Soft Mattress - Pros & Cons
- Mattress Firmness Guide & Scale
- Learn How to Clean Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How To Remove Blood Stains From Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Get Urine Stains & Smells Out of Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Disinfect and Sanitize Your Memory Foam Mattress
- The Benefits and 4-Step Process to Rotating Your Mattress
- Top 10 Reasons for Eco Friendly Mattress Cleaning
- How to Save a Water Damaged Mattress During a Hurricane or Flood
- How To Move a Mattress: Step-by-Step Guide
- Which is Best: Memory Foam vs Spring Mattress
- Which is Best: Foundation vs Boxspring
- Which is Best: Latex vs Memory Foam Mattress
- GhostBed vs. Casper Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Purple Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Leesa Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tuft & Needle Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tempur-Pedic Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Lull Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Loom & Leaf Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Saatva Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Brooklyn Bedding Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Helix Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Novosbed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Yogabed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Nectar Mattress Review
- GhostBed Luxe vs Purple 4, Casper Wave, Leesa Sapira & Tempur-Pedic
- 10 Health Benefits of an Adjustable Bed Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Amerisleep Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Lucid Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Tempur-Ergo Plus Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leesa Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Nectar Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leggett & Platt Simplicity 3.0 Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Reverie 4M Adjustable Base
- 6 Benefits of Sleeping with Your Legs Elevated
- 9 Benefits of Sleeping Elevated
- 10 Quality of Life Benefits of an Adjustable Base Bed
- 6 Benefits of a Zero Gravity Adjustable Bed Base
- How to Sleep Better with Acid Reflux
- Sleeping Elevated Helps with Spinal Alignment & Spinal Health
- Timeline & History of Adjustable Base Bed
- Why GhostBed’s Adjustable Base is High Quality but Less Expensive Than the Competition?
- GhostPillow vs MyPillow® Comparison
- Cooling Pillow Technology and Benefits
- Guide: How to Wash Any Pillow
- Guide: Best Pillow for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Hip Pain for 2021
- Best Sleeping Positions for Back Pain
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Arthritis for 2020
- Guide: Best Firm Mattress for 2020
- Best Mattress for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Stomach Sleepers
- Best Mattress for Back Pain
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Kids
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for the Money
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Heavy People
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Athletes
- Guide: The Best Mattresses for All Types of Couples
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Snoring
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Fibromyalgia
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Sex
- What is the Best Side to Sleep on: Left or Right?
- Best Sleep Positions During Pregnancy
- Easy Guide to Determining How Much Sleep You Need
- 16 Tips on How to Fall Asleep Quickly
- 4 Tips to Do When You Can't Sleep
- 9 FAQs: Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Cooling Tips for Better Sleep
- Guide: Best Cooling Mattress for Hot Sleepers
- Guide: Science and Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Sleep Trimester Guide for Pregnancy: 1st, 2nd & 3rd Trimester
- Tips for Healthy Sleeping During Pregnancy
- 9 Sleep Tips When Feeling Sick & How to Recover Fast
- Guide: How to Sleep with Insomnia & Sleep Better
- Guide: Restless Legs Syndrome and Sleep
- Guide: Tips & Tricks to Get Kids to Sleep & Recommended Sleep Hours
- Narcolepsy Guide: Signs & Treatments to Relieve Narcolepsy
- Guide: How to sleep Better with a Chronic Illness
- Guide: The Importance of Sleep for Weight Loss
- Sleeping Tips: Complete Sleep Tips Guide for New Moms
- Size Comparison Guide: Twin vs Twin XL Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: Full vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: King vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: California King vs King Mattress
- The Ultimate Guide to Pillowcases
- Guide: 3 Key Benefits of Silk Pillowcases
- Guide: How to Choose the Best Silk Pillowcase
- Silk Pillowcases: Your Newest Beauty Secret
- Guide: How to Wash Your Silk Pillowcase
- Guide: What is Mulberry Silk?
- How to Care for Your Silk Pillowcase
- How Often to Replace Bed Sheets
- How to Buy the Right Bed Sheets
- How to Wash Bed Sheets
- Guide: Everything You Need to Know About Supima Cotton
- Guide to Cotton Sheets: What to Know About Egyptian, Pima and Supima
- Guide: Why Thread Count Does Not Matter When Buying Sheets
- Guide: Why Buy Cooling Bed Sheets
- Guide: How To Choose the Best Bed Sheets