Guide: How To Choose the Best Bed Sheets
Last Updated on June 29, 2022
Sleeping on the best bed sheets can be just as important as having the top memory foam mattress when it comes to getting the most peaceful of sleep. It is important to understand what makes the best sheets when seeking to purchase a set.
I. Breathable Fabric Equals Comfort
II. Fiber Length Trumps Thread Count
III. Supima Tencel Blend Creates Best Sheets
IV. Best Sheets Have Stay-Put Feature
Terms like thread count and Egyptian cotton are often thrown about when describing high quality sheets. It can get extremely confusing looking at labels when wishing to spend money on the best quality bedding that will entice the most soothing sleep. Most important is to understand what makes for the best bed sheets when embarking on a shopping excursion for comfy bedding.
I. Breathable Fabric Equals Comfort
If the sheets are not constructed of a breathable fabric one may have the sense of feeling suffocated as the sheets cause a running hot sensation. With the sheets not breathing it stands to reason that, as a result, the sleeper’s body will be gasping for air. Therefore, one should seek out cotton for its breathable quality that is also durable and easy to care for. When seeking cotton sheets, it is important to recognize the many different types of cottons used to manufacture bedding. One cotton is certainly not the same as another when it comes to quality. It is equally necessary to understand that a special blend of cotton with a revolutionary fabric crafted from cooling fibers creates the very best sheets for the ultimate sleep experience possible.
Supima is Best Breathable Cotton
Supima is the finest of cotton at 45-percent stronger than the standard cotton which is what makes it lighter, more breathable, as well as durable and softer. The trademarked Supima cotton is constructed of woven fibers and materials that come from 100-percent American pima cotton. The name is born from a combination of superior and Pima.
Tencel Proves Breathable Comfort
Tencel (lyocell) is a fabric that is made from naturally-repelling-water small fibers that allow for less shrinkage and, also, superior breathability. Add the new age fiber of Tencel to Supima for superior softness, breathability, and durability for the best sheets one can have for their bed.
II. Fiber Length Trumps Thread Count
People have been given the false sense that thread count is the most important factor when seeking the finest of sheet sets. Thread count most certainly should not be the sole determination for finding the best bed sheets, as a thread count can be high even when describing the poorest quality sheets.
The thread count fallacy has been given added momentum by the American market of star homemakers and manufacturers. More important than the amount of fibers that make up the thread count is the length of those fibers.
Supima Proves Best Cotton Fiber
Supima cotton is recognized for its extra-long staple (ELS) designation of fibers of at least one and three-eighths long. The average length of one and seven-sixteenths makes Supima the best of the cotton fabrics. The Pima cotton fibers that makes up Supima are 50-percent longer than average cotton fibers.
The spinning of the yarn of the longer fiber is what allows for a stronger fabric that produces less pilling found in inferior fabrics. The longer fibers of Supima give it exceptional strength that allow sheets produced from it to be made in a silky-feeling finer-lighter weight. The result is exceptional-luxurious sheets that are softer, more breathable, and more durable than heavier condensed thread-count cottons.
III. Supima Tencel Blend Creates Best Sheets
It stands to reason that when two superior fibers are combined that they will produce the very best quality of fabrics. This is certainly true when blending Supima cotton with Tencel to manufacturer the best bed sheets. Bedding created from a combination of 60-percent Supima cotton and 40-percent Tencel result in sheets that hold the finest qualities of both fibers.
Supima is Supreme
Supima adds to the blended fabric its high quality soft durable cotton. Not only will this cotton resist the nasty worn pilling, it also is known for its moisture absorption, along with its ability to stay cool on heated-up nights.
The Supima association strictly regulates Pima cotton for is to be called Supima cotton. Authentic Supima cotton has been verified for its authenticity so it can be used for its Pima cotton superior qualities. The strictly controlled Supima cotton is confirmed by the association to not have lesser quality cotton fibers not blended with it. An additional requirement of Supima is that it is only grown in the United States.
Pima cotton is considered Supima only after it has met intense quality prerequisites and is verified that it is traced from a U.S. supply chain. Add to Supima’s amazing fabric qualities is that cotton is naturally friendly to the environment as an organically grown renewable resource.
Combination with Tencel
Lyocell is the fiber that makes up the trademarked Tencel. The fiber, made from wood pulp, falls into a category midway between natural and synthetic. Although it is garnered from completely-natural materials, it uses a nanotechnology process to convert the organic resources into fabric.
The hydrophilic fibers allow for Tencel to have greater temperature regulation and moisture absorption qualities which makes it breathable, and softer, as well as shrink and wrinkle resistant. Environmentally friendly global certification system protected Tencel fibers come from sustainable forest plantations.
The structure of the Tencel fibers allow for fabric to feel silky soft and gentle on sensitive skin. In addition, Tencel holds natural hypoallergenic properties. Without any chemicals moisture is wicked away to inside each fiber reducing the growth of bacteria inducing moisture film.
IV. Best Sheets Have Stay Put Feature
The fabric may be an all-important aspect of purchasing quality bed sheets, but, one should also make sure that their new sheets are crafted with a stay-in-place design for added comfort. This is especially important with thicker mattresses when an adjustable base is being used.
Be sure to buy sheets that include an elastic band around the bottom of the fitted sheet that will hold the sheet onto the bed even when a base is moving up and down. The premium GhostSheets have a GhostGrip guaranteeing that the fitted sheet will stay on securely and never pop off.
Supima Tencel blended sheets prove to showcase the breathability, softness, and durability of both fibers. With the Supima being the highest quality of cool-to-the-touch cotton comfort, Tencel adds its anti-shrinkage, anti-wrinkling, and hypo-allergenic qualities.
Bed sheets made with Supima cotton and Tencel certainly are worth their price. The greatly-more-durable-than-standard-cotton Supima sheets will retain their quality of shape and comfort even after years of washing. This will certainly save money when not having to frequently replace worn weary sheets.
Adding the sheets atop a GhostBed mattress protector on a new GhostBed Luxe with cooling GhostBed pillows will provide the ultimate-best overall sleep experience.
After undergoing three neck surgeries, Marc knew what it was like to live and sleep in constant pain. In 2001, after searching fruitlessly for a comfortable pillow and mattress that supported his neck and back ... Learn More
Quality • Comfort • Cooling
From $1,270.00 $889.00Shop Mattresses
- How to Choose the Best Mattress for You
- GhostBed’s Mattress Size Guide
- Mattress Disposal & Donation Guide
- Do I Need a Box Spring with My Mattress?
- How You Can Finance a Mattress Easily: Two Finance Options
- When Should I Replace My Mattress: The Definitive Guide
- The 3-Step Process to Buying a Mattress Online
- What is the Best Memory Foam Mattress To Purchase?
- Shipping a Mattress: Top Questions Answered
- Memory Foam Mattress in a Box
- How Long Does a Mattress Last?
- How to Choose a Mattress Type: Memory Foam, Latex, Innerspring, Hybrid
- Guide: Why Buy a Split King Mattress Bed
- How Much Does a Good Mattress Cost?
- Guide: Firm vs Soft Mattress - Pros & Cons
- Mattress Firmness Guide & Scale
- What is a Hybrid Mattress?
- Learn How to Clean Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How To Remove Blood Stains From Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Get Urine Out of Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Disinfect & Sanitize Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How To Flip or Rotate Your Mattress (and Why You Should)
- Top 10 Reasons for Eco Friendly Mattress Cleaning
- How To Move a Mattress: Step-by-Step Guide
- Battle of the Beds: Memory Foam vs. Spring Mattresses
- Which is Best: Foundation vs Boxspring
- Which is Best: Latex vs Memory Foam Mattress
- GhostBed vs. Casper Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Purple Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Leesa Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tuft & Needle Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tempur-Pedic Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Lull Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Loom & Leaf Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Saatva Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Brooklyn Bedding Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Helix Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Novosbed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Yogabed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Nectar Mattress Review
- GhostBed Luxe vs Purple 4, Casper Wave, Leesa Sapira & Tempur-Pedic
- 10 Health Benefits of an Adjustable Bed Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Amerisleep Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Lucid Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Tempur-Ergo Plus Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leesa Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Nectar Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leggett & Platt Simplicity 3.0 Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Reverie 4M Adjustable Base
- 6 Benefits of Sleeping with Your Legs Elevated
- 9 Benefits of Sleeping With Your Head Elevated
- 10 Quality of Life Benefits of an Adjustable Base Bed
- 6 Benefits of a Zero Gravity Adjustable Bed Base
- How to Sleep Better with Acid Reflux
- Sleeping Elevated Helps with Spinal Alignment & Spinal Health
- Timeline & History of Adjustable Base Bed
- Why GhostBed’s Adjustable Base is High Quality but Less Expensive Than the Competition?
- What Kind of Mattress Works with an Adjustable Bed?
- How to Use a Bed Frame with an Adjustable Base
- GhostPillow vs MyPillow® Comparison
- Cooling Pillow Technology and Benefits
- Guide: How to Wash Any Pillow
- Guide: Best Pillow for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Hip Pain for 2021
- Best Sleeping Positions for Back Pain
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Arthritis for 2020
- Guide: Best Firm Mattress for 2020
- Best Mattress for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Stomach Sleepers
- Best Mattress for Back Pain
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Kids
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for the Money
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Heavy People
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Athletes
- Guide: The Best Mattresses for All Types of Couples
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Snoring
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Fibromyalgia
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Sex
- What is the Best Side to Sleep on: Left or Right?
- Best Sleep Positions During Pregnancy
- Easy Guide to Determining How Much Sleep You Need
- 16 Tips on How to Fall Asleep Quickly
- 4 Tips to Do When You Can't Sleep
- 9 FAQs: Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Cooling Tips for Better Sleep
- Guide: Best Cooling Mattress for Hot Sleepers
- Guide: Science and Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Sleep Trimester Guide for Pregnancy: 1st, 2nd & 3rd Trimester
- Tips for Healthy Sleeping During Pregnancy
- Sleeping When You’re Sick: How to Get the Rest You Need
- Guide: How to Sleep with Insomnia & Sleep Better
- Guide: Restless Legs Syndrome and Sleep
- Guide: Tips & Tricks to Get Kids to Sleep & Recommended Sleep Hours
- Narcolepsy Guide: Signs & Treatments to Relieve Narcolepsy
- Guide: How to sleep Better with a Chronic Illness
- Guide: The Importance of Sleep for Weight Loss
- Sleeping Tips: Complete Sleep Tips Guide for New Moms
- How to Use a Headboard With an Adjustable Base
- 6 Surprising Reasons Why You Can't Get Comfortable in Your Bed
- How to Train Yourself to Sleep on Your Back
- Size Comparison Guide: Twin vs Twin XL Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: Full vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: King vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: California King vs King Mattress
- The Ultimate Guide to Pillowcases
- Guide: 3 Key Benefits of Silk Pillowcases
- Guide: How to Choose the Best Silk Pillowcase
- Silk Pillowcases: Your Newest Beauty Secret
- Guide: How to Wash Your Silk Pillowcase
- Guide: What is Mulberry Silk?
- How to Care for Your Silk Pillowcase
- How Often to Replace Bed Sheets
- How to Buy the Right Bed Sheets
- How to Wash Bed Sheets
- Guide: Everything You Need to Know About Supima Cotton
- Guide to Cotton Sheets: What to Know About Egyptian, Pima and Supima
- Guide: Why Thread Count Does Not Matter When Buying Sheets
- Guide: Why Buy Cooling Bed Sheets
- Guide: How To Choose the Best Bed Sheets
- Guide to TENCEL® Sheets: Everything You Need to Know
- Mattress Toppers: What Are They & Are They Worth It?
- Guide: How to Select the Best Mattress Topper
- 5 Ways to Make Your Mattress More Comfortable
- How Do I Make My “Hot” Mattress Sleep Cooler?
- How to Care for Your Memory Foam Mattress Topper
- Weighted Blanket Size Guide: Determining the Right Size
- Benefits of Weighted Blankets for Autism
- 10 Health-Boosting Benefits of Weighted Blankets