How to Buy the Right Bed Sheets
Last Updated on February 21, 2021
Bed sheets need regular washing maintenance to upkeep a clean and healthy bed for promoting a wonderful beneficial sleep. Following specific steps will allow for one to be sure that new bedding and existing sheets have been washed and dried properly.
Everyone needs sleep, but even more important is that children need the right amount of mattress hours in order to help them develop and grow mentally and physically. It is vital to get the best mattress for kids, as experts’ state that 40 percent of childhood is spent sleeping.
Different stages of childhood need varying amounts of sleep. Guidelines showcase that as a child grows their sleep pattern will change and adjust. Caregivers should be aware to make sure that a child is getting the proper number of hours sleep that he or she needs. Babies require the most amount of sleep and then the hours drop off from there. In order to get the best sleep possible, it is a must to get the mattress that will best promote a good night’s sleep for your kid.
I. Size of Sheets
II. Cooling Effect
III. Types of Sheets
IV. The Right Sheets for Bed Style
I. Size of Sheets
Bed sheet sizes are generally standard to mattress size but can vary according to fabrics and can shrink or stretch depending on material. When looking for the right size of sheets to fit a bed it is necessary to know the size of your mattress.
A sheet set will include a fitted sheet, a flat sheet, and pillowcases – one pillowcase for twin beds and two pillowcases for larger sized mattresses. For a split king a sheet set will consist of two twin XL fitted sheets, with one flat sheet and two pillowcases.
Fitted sheets are crafted just as the wording implies. This bed sheet is made with mitered corners having elastic in each corner or around the entire perimeter, depending on manufacturer design. The corners are fitted over each corner of mattress as if molding to the bed with the elastic working to hold the fitted sheet in place for comfort as one moves throughout sleep. Flat sheets are just what they sound like as they are a flat piece of fabric made to fit over the fitted bed sheet and under the blanket or comforter. This sheet is usually tucked in at the foot and sides of the bed.
There are commonly six sheet sizes to fit the basic kinds of mattress dimensions:
|Twin||Twin xl||Full||Queen||King||Cal king|
|Fitted||39” X 75”||39” X 80”||54” X 75”||60” X 80”||76” X 80”||72” X 84”|
|Flat||66’ X 96”||72” 114”||81” X 96”||90” X 102”||108” X 102”||102” X 110”|
Pillowcase sizes can vary as well with the most common fitting the standard pillow. Note that the Euro pillow is usually used for decorative sham purposes.
|Standard||Super standard||Queen||King||Common euro|
|Fitted||20” X 26”||20” X 28”||20” X 30”||20” X 36”||26” X 26”|
II. Cooling Effect
When seeking the often-elusive perfect sleep it is essential to understand the vital role that bed sheets working to keep one cool can have. Sleeping hot spending the night sweating leads to discomfort and continuous waking. Whether in the heat of summer, ill with a fever, or in the throes of hormonal upheaval – it is most important to purchase sheets that will provide the cooling effect needed to promote a healthy sleep.
The best sheets to promote cooling will be made with pure natural fibers or a blend of proprietary materials specifically crafted for cooling and comfort. To promote cooling the sheets should be designed to keep the sleeper dry by wicking away moisture produced by a sweating body.
III. Types of Sheets
Although modern thinking has convinced consumers that thread count is most important when purchasing bed sheets, this perceived notion is not true. More important than the density of the weave and ply is the quality and type of material used.
Although Egyptian cotton is known as a luxury sheet fabric it is important to understand that any cotton produced in Egypt can be labeled Egyptian cotton – even the most inferior. True opulent Egyptian cotton sheets are made from extra-long staple (ELS) cotton fibers grown in Egypt. The Egyptian climate is what promotes the growth of the ELS fiber. These are generally highest quality sheets and have a 200-thread count or above.
|Soft and smooth for comfort||Can be very expensive|
|Machine Washable with Minimal Shrinkage||Wrinkles easily|
|Very durable – retaining softness and can last years.|
|Breathable to regulate body temperature and absorb perspiration.|
Pima cotton is strong-fine long-staple cotton (LSC) grown mostly in the U.S. in California and Arizona. With Pima cotton being on the costly side it is often blended by some manufacturers with inferior cottons. Be sure to read labeling carefully when purchasing sheets said to be Pima.
|Above average long-staple cotton with great consistency.||May be blended with inferior cotton|
|Very good quality cotton grown in U.S||May be noted as Pima but grown outside of U.S.|
Supima cotton is a trade name for Pima cotton that has been held to certain standards to pass quality ideals for labeling. The purity of Supima can be proven through DNA coding. This is a very high quality LSC cotton that is guaranteed pure by the Supima Association.
|Verified superior cotton by Supima Association||More expensive than common cottons|
|Extra-Long Staple providing strong soft fibers for softness and plushness.|
|Guaranteed grown in U.S.|
|Helps allergy sufferers with its natural resistance to dust mites, and mold.|
|Consistent excellent durability for years of lasting quality.|
Tencel (lyocell) fabric is crafted from naturally-repelling-water small fibers that work to reduce shrinkage as well as superior breathability. Tencel works wonderfully for bed sheets when blended with Supima to produce bedding that possess’ superior softness, breathability, and durability.
|Hypoallergenic, reduces bacteria growth||Can be more expensive than other materials.|
|Breathable to regulate body temperature and moisture absorption.||Can absorb skin oil when not blended with another material.|
|Tencel fibers come from sustainable forest plantations.|
|Soft and silky on skin|
As a synthetic fiber, polyester sheets can be durable and are less likely to stain when attacked by most liquids. Polyester is also very easy to care for as it is resistant to wrinkling and shrinking. Being man-made, polyester sheets tend to be less expensive than cotton and other natural fiber bedding. Polyester works best when blended with cotton to provide the qualities of both fabrics.
|Less expensive||Wears badly for lesser durability than cotton.|
|Easy to care for||Not breathable nor cooling.|
|Retains oily stains|
|Stiffens with age for a rougher texture on skin.|
Jersey knit sheets are like sleeping in a favorite tee shirt. These sheets are actually-knitted, not woven, from cotton or a cotton blend that allows for the feel of a worn in tee. Jersey knit sheets provide a cozy warmth as they hug the body. Bedding made from jersey knit should weigh between 9 to 14 ounces a yard for sheets that provide long-lasting comfort.
|Cozy for chilly weather||May not be as cooling as natural woven alternatives.|
|Long lasting comfort|
Satin sheets are showcase a satin sheen that is smooth to the touch. These are considered luxury sheets that can be produced from any one of natural or synthetic fibers of cotton, wool, polyester, silk, acetate, or a blend of different fabrics. Satin sheets provide a cooling feel that works well on heated up nights.
|Depending on fabric these sheets can be very affordably priced.||Can be slippery|
|Very durable.||Cool to the touch but if synthetic can run warm.|
|Satin pillowcases keep hair styles in place|
Linen is a relaxed natural fabric perfect for summertime bed sheets. The organic quality of linen makes the sheets very breathable and wicks away moisture for cooler sleeping.
|Very long-lasting durability||Can be a bit costly.|
|Comfortable for sensitive skin||Wrinkles easily|
|Breathable for cooler sleeping|
|Maintains an optimal temperature for cooler sleep|
IV. The Right Sheets for Bed Style
The style of beds can differ and effect sheet choices especially when it comes to buying fitted sheets. A standard mattress can range from 7-14 inches deep, with a deep mattress at around 15-inches high and an extra deep as much as 22-inches high.
One must also factor in pillow tops and extra cushion if adding a plush topper. An adjustable base will also have a huge effect on how sheets will fit and stay on the bed. It is most important to get a well-made deep pocketed fitted sheet with a full elastic band that will keep the fitted sheet securely on mattress even when moving as with an adjustable bed base. Be sure to not get short sheeted by making certain that the flat sheet is large enough to tuck in at the foot and sides of the bed.
The best sheets will be breathable for cooling, durable, soft, and crafted to fit and stay on the mattress to promote the finest sleep possible.
After undergoing three neck surgeries, Marc knew what it was like to live and sleep in constant pain. In 2001, after searching fruitlessly for a comfortable pillow and mattress that supported his neck and back ... Learn More
Quality • Comfort • Cooling
From $1,070.00 $749.00Shop Mattresses
- How to Choose the Best Mattress for You
- Mattress Size Guide
- Mattress Disposal & Donation Guide
- Do I Need a Boxspring with My Mattress: Foundation Choices
- How You Can Finance a Mattress Easily: Two Finance Options
- When Should I Replace My Mattress: The Definitive Guide
- Three Step-Process to Buying a Mattress Online
- What is the Best Memory Foam Mattress To Purchase?
- Shipping a Mattress: Top Questions Answered
- Memory Foam Mattress in a Box
- How Long Does a Mattress Last?
- How to Choose a Mattress Type: Memory Foam, Latex, Innerspring, Hybrid
- Guide: Why Buy a Split King Mattress Bed
- How Much Does a Good Mattress Cost?
- Guide: Firm vs Soft Mattress - Pros & Cons
- Mattress Firmness Guide & Scale
- Learn How to Clean Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How To Remove Blood Stains From Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Get Urine Stains & Smells Out of Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Disinfect and Sanitize Your Memory Foam Mattress
- The Benefits and 4-Step Process to Rotating Your Mattress
- Top 10 Reasons for Eco Friendly Mattress Cleaning
- How to Save a Water Damaged Mattress During a Hurricane or Flood
- How To Move a Mattress: Step-by-Step Guide
- Which is Best: Memory Foam vs Spring Mattress
- Which is Best: Foundation vs Boxspring
- Which is Best: Latex vs Memory Foam Mattress
- GhostBed vs. Casper Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Purple Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Leesa Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tuft & Needle Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tempur-Pedic Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Lull Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Loom & Leaf Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Saatva Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Brooklyn Bedding Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Helix Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Novosbed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Yogabed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Nectar Mattress Review
- GhostBed Luxe vs Purple 4, Casper Wave, Leesa Sapira & Tempur-Pedic
- 10 Health Benefits of an Adjustable Bed Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Amerisleep Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Lucid Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Tempur-Ergo Plus Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leesa Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Nectar Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leggett & Platt Simplicity 3.0 Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Reverie 4M Adjustable Base
- 6 Benefits of Sleeping with Your Legs Elevated
- 9 Benefits of Sleeping Elevated
- 10 Quality of Life Benefits of an Adjustable Base Bed
- Benefits of a Zero Gravity Adjustable Bed Base
- How to Sleep Better with Acid Reflux
- Sleeping Elevated Helps with Spinal Alignment & Spinal Health
- Timeline & History of Adjustable Base Bed
- Why GhostBed’s Adjustable Base is High Quality but Less Expensive Than the Competition?
- GhostPillow vs MyPillow® Comparison
- Cooling Pillow Technology and Benefits
- Guide: How to Wash Any Pillow
- Guide: Best Pillow for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Hip Pain for 2020
- Best Sleeping Positions for Back Pain
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Arthritis for 2020
- Guide: Best Firm Mattress for 2020
- Best Mattress for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Stomach Sleepers
- Best Mattress for Back Pain
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Kids
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for the Money
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Heavy People
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Athletes
- Guide: The Best Mattresses for All Types of Couples
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Snoring
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Fibromyalgia
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Sex
- What is the Best Side to Sleep on: Left or Right?
- Best Sleep Positions During Pregnancy
- Easy Guide to Determining How Much Sleep You Need
- 16 Tips on How to Fall Asleep Quickly
- 4 Tips to Do When You Can't Sleep
- 9 FAQs: Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Cooling Tips for Better Sleep
- Guide: Best Cooling Mattress for Hot Sleepers
- Guide: Science and Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Sleep Trimester Guide for Pregnancy: 1st, 2nd & 3rd Trimester
- Tips for Healthy Sleeping During Pregnancy
- 9 Sleep Tips When Feeling Sick & How to Recover Fast
- Guide: How to Sleep with Insomnia & Sleep Better
- Guide: Restless Legs Syndrome and Sleep
- Guide: Tips & Tricks to Get Kids to Sleep & Recommended Sleep Hours
- Narcolepsy Guide: Signs & Treatments to Relieve Narcolepsy
- Guide: How to sleep Better with a Chronic Illness
- Guide: The Importance of Sleep for Weight Loss
- Sleeping Tips: Complete Sleep Tips Guide for New Moms
- Size Comparison Guide: Twin vs Twin XL Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: Full vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: King vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: California King vs King Mattress
- Guide: The Ultimate Guide to Pillowcases
- Guide: 3 Key Benefits of Silk Pillowcases
- Guide: How to Choose the Best Silk Pillowcase
- Silk Pillowcases: Your Newest Beauty Secret
- Guide: How to Wash Your Silk Pillowcase
- Guide: What is Mulberry Silk?
- How to Care for Your Silk Pillowcase
- How Often to Replace Bed Sheets
- How to Buy the Right Bed Sheets
- How to Wash Bed Sheets
- Guide: Why Supima Cotton Sheets and What’s It All About?
- Egyptian, Pima or Supima Cotton Bed Sheets: Which is Best for a Great Sleep?
- Guide: Why Thread Count Does Not Matter When Buying Sheets
- Guide: Why Buy Cooling Bed Sheets
- Guide: How To Choose the Best Bed Sheets