6 Surprising Reasons Why You Can't Get Comfortable in Your Bed
Last Updated on May 10, 2022
Crawling into bed to rest and recharge after a long day is a reward we all deserve. After all, sleep is essential for our health and wellness. You can't be the best version of yourself without it.
So, if you're tossing and turning at night and can't figure out why, consider this your reminder to get to the bottom of your sleep troubles—stat! Here, we’ll review 6 possible reasons why you can't get comfortable in bed and provide some simple solutions for getting the rest you need.
Overview: Here’s Why You’re Not Sleeping
What's keeping you awake at night? These 6 culprits may be to blame:
- Your health
- Your environment
- Using the wrong mattress for your sleeping style
- Using the wrong pillow
- Your partner disrupting you
- Your temperature
1. Your Health
Sleeping with a chronic illness can be challenging. And missing out on sleep can actually make your health problems even worse. It's a vicious cycle. Luckily, there's a lot you can do to get back on track to a healthier sleep routine. Before we go into that, let's first examine how different health conditions can affect sleep quality and duration.
Note: Any tips we provide about sleeping with a health condition are simply suggestions based on our 20+ years in the sleep industry. Always check with your doctor regarding any health-related questions.
Fibromyalgia is a chronic condition that, experts believe, is caused by genetics. Symptoms include muscle and joint pain, and stiffness throughout the body. It’s no surprise that those with fibromyalgia have trouble getting comfortable at bedtime.
How to fix it: Aside from speaking with your doctor, look for a mattress that provides the softness needed to cradle your tender spots, but is firm enough to keep you from sinking in. Hybrid and memory foam styles are your best bet.
Plus-sized sleepers face their own unique set of challenges. You might have trouble getting in and out of bed, or you may have conditions like sleep apnea or acid reflux.
How to fix it: Investing in an adjustable base may be the answer to getting comfortable at night. An adjustable base will allow you to raise and lower your head and feet, soothing various common ailments faced by heavier people.
Breathing issues like sleep apnea and asthma are known causes of poor sleep. This is because sufferers often wake up throughout the night because of disrupted breathing and the sound of their own snoring!
How to fix it: Adjustable beds are fantastic for those with asthma and sleep apnea. When you sleep with your head elevated, your airways stay open, which means better rest for you (and your partner).
If you've been lucky enough to move through life without a bout of sleep-disrupting back pain, consider yourself lucky! Back pain affects a large portion of the population. In fact, a whopping 39 percent of adults in the US reported they had experienced back pain within the past three months in a recent survey.
How to fix it: The low-hanging fruit here is to try a new sleeping position that could help relieve your back pain. Or you could consider upgrading your mattress. To soothe your aching back, think of ergonomics. Your bed should adequately support the body while contouring to your curves. Hybrid memory foam mattresses, like our GhostBed Flex, can do just that!
Stress takes an emotional and physical toll. And far too many of us live with the consequences of poor sleep and lack of enthusiasm for the day ahead. But you can change all that!
How to fix it: Cutting stressful situations and people out of your life can do wonders for your health (and sleep). But that's sometimes easier said than done. So, instead, try working some mindfulness techniques into your routine.
Any pregnant woman will tell you how troubling it can be not to sleep when your body is doing so much hard work to bring a new human into the world. Muscle, ligament and joint pain are standard, as are acid reflux and insomnia.
How to fix it: Many experts recommend sleeping on your side when you’re pregnant. Elevating your head slightly can also help you get comfortable.
2. Your Environment
Good sleep may be hard to come by if your bedroom is too bright, loud or stimulating. Simple things like the sound of a clock ticking or a crack of light coming in your window can be enough to frustrate you into a night of tossing and turning.
How to fix it: To block out distracting sounds, consider earplugs, running a fan or using a white noise machine. A silk sleeping mask can be a luxurious solution to cut down on light intrusion. For something more practical, light-blocking curtains may just do the trick. To keep temperatures in the proper range for optimal sleep, try turning down the thermostat a few degrees 2 hours before bedtime.
Want to do more to keep yourself cool as a cucumber at bedtime? Read our cooling tips for better sleep.
3. You Need a New or Different Mattress Style
Depending on your go-to sleep position, you may be using the wrong mattress. Sleeping on a bed that isn't ideal for your sleeping style can make getting comfortable a real challenge. Check out our suggestions below for each position.
Side sleepers will benefit from a softer memory foam mattress, as it will mold to the heavier parts of your body when you’re on your side.
Back sleepers should look for a mattress with "the best of both worlds" in the form of a hybrid memory foam mattress. Hybrids combine different materials to offer a balance of comfort and support.
Stomach sleepers will want a mattress with a high-density foam core for spinal alignment, and a soft contouring feel to keep pressure off your ribs and organs throughout the night.
Combination sleepers are the lucky ones. They can choose almost any mattress. Still, many tend to prefer hybrid memory foam options because of the ideal mix of support and comforting contour.
4. You’re Using the Wrong Pillow
Like with mattresses, every sleeper has unique requirements for selecting the right pillow. If you're using something too flimsy or too stuffed, you could be setting yourself up for a night of listless tossing and turning.
How to fix it: Do a little research on what type of pillows typically work for your sleeping style. We offer a variety of pillows to suit back, side and combo sleepers alike.
5. Your Temperature
As we mentioned above, the temperature of your room can determine whether you sleep well or not. But sometimes, the temperature is out of our hands.
In that case, consider investing in:
It may be the ideal workaround to conquering uncomfortable temperatures that keep you awake.
6. Your Partner is Disrupting You
Sleeping next to the one you love can help deepen your bond. But it can also be a sore spot for some couples. For example, if you're married to a snorer, you could become frustrated and resentful due to all the disruption. If you work different schedules, one partner may be deep in their R.E.M. sleep while the other wants to sit up and read a book while receiving a relaxing massage.
Suppose you find yourself in a situation where you and your partner have different needs for getting comfortable. In that case, we recommend considering upgrading to a Split King Adjustable Set. A flexible split king mattress allows you and your partner to choose the mattress and position that is right for you.
Bedtime Tips to Fall Asleep Faster and Stay Asleep Longer
You want to sleep well, so why isn't your body cooperating? It could be due to any of the factors we mentioned above. If you're unsure what keeps you from getting comfortable in your bed, try a few of these simple tips and see where they take you.
- Make sure your bedroom is cool, quiet, dark and free of stimuli and distractions.
- Try not to ruminate on the fact you can't sleep. It'll only make it worse. Instead, practice mindfulness through deep breathing or meditation.
- Talk to your doctor if your inability to sleep affects your overall health and wellness.
- Identify and cut out stressors that leave your mind racing at the end of the day.
- Replace old, sagging mattresses, worn-out sheets and lumpy pillows when the time comes.
- Consider upgrading to a split king adjustable bed if you and your partner find yourself at odds come bedtime.
Hopefully these tips help you get to the bottom of what’s stopping you from getting comfortable at night. Still have questions or concerns? We’re here to help! With 20+ years in the mattress industry, we know a thing or two about great sleep. Chat with our Sleep Experts today, or take Marc’s Mattress Quiz to get your personalized recommendation!
After undergoing three neck surgeries, Marc knew what it was like to live and sleep in constant pain. In 2001, after searching fruitlessly for a comfortable pillow and mattress that supported his neck and back ... Learn More
Quality • Comfort • Cooling
From $1,270.00 $889.00Shop Mattresses
- How to Choose the Best Mattress for You
- GhostBed’s Mattress Size Guide
- Mattress Disposal & Donation Guide
- Do I Need a Box Spring with My Mattress?
- How You Can Finance a Mattress Easily: Two Finance Options
- When Should I Replace My Mattress: The Definitive Guide
- The 3-Step Process to Buying a Mattress Online
- What is the Best Memory Foam Mattress To Purchase?
- Shipping a Mattress: Top Questions Answered
- Memory Foam Mattress in a Box
- How Long Does a Mattress Last?
- How to Choose a Mattress Type: Memory Foam, Latex, Innerspring, Hybrid
- Guide: Why Buy a Split King Mattress Bed
- How Much Does a Good Mattress Cost?
- Guide: Firm vs Soft Mattress - Pros & Cons
- Mattress Firmness Guide & Scale
- What is a Hybrid Mattress?
- Learn How to Clean Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How To Remove Blood Stains From Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Get Urine Out of Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Disinfect & Sanitize Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How To Flip or Rotate Your Mattress (and Why You Should)
- Top 10 Reasons for Eco Friendly Mattress Cleaning
- How To Move a Mattress: Step-by-Step Guide
- Battle of the Beds: Memory Foam vs. Spring Mattresses
- Which is Best: Foundation vs Boxspring
- Which is Best: Latex vs Memory Foam Mattress
- GhostBed vs. Casper Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Purple Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Leesa Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tuft & Needle Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tempur-Pedic Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Lull Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Loom & Leaf Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Saatva Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Brooklyn Bedding Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Helix Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Novosbed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Yogabed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Nectar Mattress Review
- GhostBed Luxe vs Purple 4, Casper Wave, Leesa Sapira & Tempur-Pedic
- 10 Health Benefits of an Adjustable Bed Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Amerisleep Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Lucid Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Tempur-Ergo Plus Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leesa Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Nectar Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leggett & Platt Simplicity 3.0 Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Reverie 4M Adjustable Base
- 6 Benefits of Sleeping with Your Legs Elevated
- 9 Benefits of Sleeping With Your Head Elevated
- 10 Quality of Life Benefits of an Adjustable Base Bed
- 6 Benefits of a Zero Gravity Adjustable Bed Base
- How to Sleep Better with Acid Reflux
- Sleeping Elevated Helps with Spinal Alignment & Spinal Health
- Timeline & History of Adjustable Base Bed
- Why GhostBed’s Adjustable Base is High Quality but Less Expensive Than the Competition?
- What Kind of Mattress Works with an Adjustable Bed?
- GhostPillow vs MyPillow® Comparison
- Cooling Pillow Technology and Benefits
- Guide: How to Wash Any Pillow
- Guide: Best Pillow for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Hip Pain for 2021
- Best Sleeping Positions for Back Pain
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Arthritis for 2020
- Guide: Best Firm Mattress for 2020
- Best Mattress for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Stomach Sleepers
- Best Mattress for Back Pain
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Kids
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for the Money
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Heavy People
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Athletes
- Guide: The Best Mattresses for All Types of Couples
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Snoring
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Fibromyalgia
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Sex
- What is the Best Side to Sleep on: Left or Right?
- Best Sleep Positions During Pregnancy
- Easy Guide to Determining How Much Sleep You Need
- 16 Tips on How to Fall Asleep Quickly
- 4 Tips to Do When You Can't Sleep
- 9 FAQs: Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Cooling Tips for Better Sleep
- Guide: Best Cooling Mattress for Hot Sleepers
- Guide: Science and Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Sleep Trimester Guide for Pregnancy: 1st, 2nd & 3rd Trimester
- Tips for Healthy Sleeping During Pregnancy
- Sleeping When You’re Sick: How to Get the Rest You Need
- Guide: How to Sleep with Insomnia & Sleep Better
- Guide: Restless Legs Syndrome and Sleep
- Guide: Tips & Tricks to Get Kids to Sleep & Recommended Sleep Hours
- Narcolepsy Guide: Signs & Treatments to Relieve Narcolepsy
- Guide: How to sleep Better with a Chronic Illness
- Guide: The Importance of Sleep for Weight Loss
- Sleeping Tips: Complete Sleep Tips Guide for New Moms
- How to Use a Headboard With an Adjustable Base
- 6 Surprising Reasons Why You Can't Get Comfortable in Your Bed
- Size Comparison Guide: Twin vs Twin XL Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: Full vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: King vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: California King vs King Mattress
- The Ultimate Guide to Pillowcases
- Guide: 3 Key Benefits of Silk Pillowcases
- Guide: How to Choose the Best Silk Pillowcase
- Silk Pillowcases: Your Newest Beauty Secret
- Guide: How to Wash Your Silk Pillowcase
- Guide: What is Mulberry Silk?
- How to Care for Your Silk Pillowcase
- How Often to Replace Bed Sheets
- How to Buy the Right Bed Sheets
- How to Wash Bed Sheets
- Guide: Everything You Need to Know About Supima Cotton
- Guide to Cotton Sheets: What to Know About Egyptian, Pima and Supima
- Guide: Why Thread Count Does Not Matter When Buying Sheets
- Guide: Why Buy Cooling Bed Sheets
- Guide: How To Choose the Best Bed Sheets
- Guide to TENCEL® Sheets: Everything You Need to Know
- Mattress Toppers: What Are They & Are They Worth It?
- Guide: How to Select the Best Mattress Topper
- 5 Ways to Make Your Mattress More Comfortable
- How Do I Make My “Hot” Mattress Sleep Cooler?
- How to Care for Your Memory Foam Mattress Topper
- Weighted Blanket Size Guide: Determining the Right Size
- Benefits of Weighted Blankets for Autism
- 10 Health-Boosting Benefits of Weighted Blankets