Best Sleeping Positions for Back Pain
Last Updated on May 10, 2022
It is vital to learn the best sleeping positions for back pain, as the discomfort can cause endless nights of no slumber. Many members of society of all ages and genders suffer with some level of pain in their backs, whether upper or lower, or both. Coupling the right mattress with the right sleeping position can be the cure to lull one off to dreamland.
- Habit Inducing Pain
- Upper Back Pain
- Lower Back Pain
- Pillow Under Stomach
- On Back with Knee Support
- Sleeping in Fetal Position
- On Back in Reclined Position
I. Understanding Your Back Pain
Back pain can be caused by many different life conditions. It can be fleeting as in pregnancy, or become a chronic condition caused by arthritis, an accident or even by a bad lifestyle habit. It is important to understand one’s own type of discomfort in order to learn how to sleep to relieve back pain.
Habit Inducing Pain
One may be surprised to learn that simple everyday lifestyle habits can be the cause of the back pain leading to sleepless nights. Just how one sits driving to work, at the computer, or slumped watching TV can have a negative effect on the body.
Be aware of posture: the head may push forward staring at traffic ahead, or at the television or computer screen; Do you roll shoulders forward grasping the steering wheel or pounding a keyboard. Simply by making lifestyle habit adjustments to one’s posture may be the prescription to relieving the back pain that steals sleep time. Be aware to keep the head aligned with the body and the shoulders back.
Upper Back Pain
Hurt flaring from the thoracic spine area is what causes the upper back pain. This pain can be sudden and unbearable causing the body to be unable to move comfortably. Those at risk include athletes and people may sit for a longer time whether at work, or in an inactive lifestyle.
In addition, sudden upper back pain can be the indication of a health concern such as: gallbladder disease, cancer, heart problems, acid reflux, and ulcer. Understanding what the cause of upper back pain is may help relieve it. Common sources for pain in the upper back can be as simple as poor posture or lifting a heavy item improperly. Other causes for upper back pain include injury trauma, osteoporosis, and even emotional stress tension.
Lower Back Pain
Lower back pain can be chronic or fleeting and will affect around 80-percent of adults during their lifetimes. Lower aches can feel dull or be sharp and incapacitating. As with the upper back pain, lower pain can be caused by a sedentary lifestyle, or can be the result of one’s work life.
Just the act of aging with a common spine degeneration can cause lower back pain. The daily grinding down on the joints, discs and bones as one grows older is what leads to spondylosis. On top of regular growing older ailments can be other factors such as: turning or lifting improperly, intervertebral disc degeneration, herniated discs, sciatica, spinal stenosis, and genetic skeletal issues such as scoliosis.
Sudden lower back pain may be the indication of a health problem that should have one contact a medical professional. Be aware that lower back pain could indicate kidney stones, an infection, or an abdominal aortic aneurysm.
II. Best Sleeping Positions for Back Pain Relief
Know you are not alone in those sleep lacking nights caused by back pain. Experts have noted that 80-percent of people in the U.S. have struggled with an aching back. It is vital to find comfort at night to help induce the best sleep possible. In addition to have the best of a supportive mattress for back pain, one will want to discover the just-right best sleeping positions for back pain relief and invite slumber.
Pillow Under Stomach
So, sleeping on one’s stomach is generally not advised for back pain sufferers – as it can put more stress on the neck. For those who struggle to sleep off their stomach there is a way for one to position to sleep to relieve back pain.
By positioning a thin pillow just under the hips and lower abdomen will take some of the pressure off the aching back. Either use another flat pillow for the head or consider sleeping without head raised at all for best results.
On Back with Knee Support
It is surprising that only eight percent of adults have been found to be back sleepers when the best position to promote a healthy back is on the back. When sleeping on the back, one’s weight is evenly distributed to promote proper alignment of the head, neck, and spine. Back sleeping also reduces pain inducing pressure points.
When sleeping on the back place a small pillow just under the knees. This provides support to keep the natural curve of the spine as the back is flat on the bed. Keep the head from turning sideways with a proper pillow placed to support the neck and head.
Side Sleeping with Pillow Between Knees
Sleeping on one’s side is the most common sleeping position for adults. Unfortunately, this position can add to back pain by forcing the spine out of alignment. For how to sleep to relieve back pain when sleeping on a side merely place a pillow between the knees. This allows for the upper leg to be raised to keep the hips, pelvis, and spine in a more natural alignment.
Rest in bed on the side pulling the knees up a bit and just place a pillow between them. Make sure to have another pillow to support the head and neck so it is not too high. Those who may turn in their sleep can try hugging a long pillow against their chest and stomach as well.
Sleeping in Fetal Position
The fetal position may seriously help ease back pain to have one sleeping like a baby. Those with a herniated disc often discover relief from pain in this sleeping position since it helps to open spaces between the vertebrae.
Just as the name indicates one will want to lie on their side and then pull knees up toward chest and curl back towards knees. Try alternating sides nightly or during the night to help keep the body balanced. Make sure to have a supportive pillow under the head and neck.
Side Sleeping with Pillow Between Knees
A best sleeping positions for back pain is reclined. Reclining chairs are so popular for the precise reason that they provide great comfort. An adjustable bed is the perfect solution to help relieve an aching back in order to get sleep.
The reclining position works wonderfully for sufferers of isthmic spondylolisthesis. This condition causes pain due to a slip in one vertebra above another. Reclining allows for an angle to be created between the thighs and torso. The angle works to minimize the pressure on the spine.
After undergoing three neck surgeries, Marc knew what it was like to live and sleep in constant pain. In 2001, after searching fruitlessly for a comfortable pillow and mattress that supported his neck and back ... Learn More
Quality • Comfort • Cooling
From $1,270.00 $889.00Shop Mattresses
- How to Choose the Best Mattress for You
- GhostBed’s Mattress Size Guide
- Mattress Disposal & Donation Guide
- Do I Need a Box Spring with My Mattress?
- How You Can Finance a Mattress Easily: Two Finance Options
- When Should I Replace My Mattress: The Definitive Guide
- The 3-Step Process to Buying a Mattress Online
- What is the Best Memory Foam Mattress To Purchase?
- Shipping a Mattress: Top Questions Answered
- Memory Foam Mattress in a Box
- How Long Does a Mattress Last?
- How to Choose a Mattress Type: Memory Foam, Latex, Innerspring, Hybrid
- Guide: Why Buy a Split King Mattress Bed
- How Much Does a Good Mattress Cost?
- Guide: Firm vs Soft Mattress - Pros & Cons
- Mattress Firmness Guide & Scale
- What is a Hybrid Mattress?
- Learn How to Clean Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How To Remove Blood Stains From Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Get Urine Out of Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Disinfect & Sanitize Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How To Flip or Rotate Your Mattress (and Why You Should)
- Top 10 Reasons for Eco Friendly Mattress Cleaning
- How To Move a Mattress: Step-by-Step Guide
- Battle of the Beds: Memory Foam vs. Spring Mattresses
- Which is Best: Foundation vs Boxspring
- Which is Best: Latex vs Memory Foam Mattress
- GhostBed vs. Casper Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Purple Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Leesa Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tuft & Needle Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tempur-Pedic Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Lull Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Loom & Leaf Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Saatva Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Brooklyn Bedding Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Helix Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Novosbed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Yogabed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Nectar Mattress Review
- GhostBed Luxe vs Purple 4, Casper Wave, Leesa Sapira & Tempur-Pedic
- 10 Health Benefits of an Adjustable Bed Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Amerisleep Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Lucid Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Tempur-Ergo Plus Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leesa Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Nectar Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leggett & Platt Simplicity 3.0 Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Reverie 4M Adjustable Base
- 6 Benefits of Sleeping with Your Legs Elevated
- 9 Benefits of Sleeping With Your Head Elevated
- 10 Quality of Life Benefits of an Adjustable Base Bed
- 6 Benefits of a Zero Gravity Adjustable Bed Base
- How to Sleep Better with Acid Reflux
- Sleeping Elevated Helps with Spinal Alignment & Spinal Health
- Timeline & History of Adjustable Base Bed
- Why GhostBed’s Adjustable Base is High Quality but Less Expensive Than the Competition?
- What Kind of Mattress Works with an Adjustable Bed?
- GhostPillow vs MyPillow® Comparison
- Cooling Pillow Technology and Benefits
- Guide: How to Wash Any Pillow
- Guide: Best Pillow for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Hip Pain for 2021
- Best Sleeping Positions for Back Pain
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Arthritis for 2020
- Guide: Best Firm Mattress for 2020
- Best Mattress for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Stomach Sleepers
- Best Mattress for Back Pain
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Kids
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for the Money
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Heavy People
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Athletes
- Guide: The Best Mattresses for All Types of Couples
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Snoring
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Fibromyalgia
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Sex
- What is the Best Side to Sleep on: Left or Right?
- Best Sleep Positions During Pregnancy
- Easy Guide to Determining How Much Sleep You Need
- 16 Tips on How to Fall Asleep Quickly
- 4 Tips to Do When You Can't Sleep
- 9 FAQs: Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Cooling Tips for Better Sleep
- Guide: Best Cooling Mattress for Hot Sleepers
- Guide: Science and Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Sleep Trimester Guide for Pregnancy: 1st, 2nd & 3rd Trimester
- Tips for Healthy Sleeping During Pregnancy
- Sleeping When You’re Sick: How to Get the Rest You Need
- Guide: How to Sleep with Insomnia & Sleep Better
- Guide: Restless Legs Syndrome and Sleep
- Guide: Tips & Tricks to Get Kids to Sleep & Recommended Sleep Hours
- Narcolepsy Guide: Signs & Treatments to Relieve Narcolepsy
- Guide: How to sleep Better with a Chronic Illness
- Guide: The Importance of Sleep for Weight Loss
- Sleeping Tips: Complete Sleep Tips Guide for New Moms
- How to Use a Headboard With an Adjustable Base
- 6 Surprising Reasons Why You Can't Get Comfortable in Your Bed
- Size Comparison Guide: Twin vs Twin XL Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: Full vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: King vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: California King vs King Mattress
- The Ultimate Guide to Pillowcases
- Guide: 3 Key Benefits of Silk Pillowcases
- Guide: How to Choose the Best Silk Pillowcase
- Silk Pillowcases: Your Newest Beauty Secret
- Guide: How to Wash Your Silk Pillowcase
- Guide: What is Mulberry Silk?
- How to Care for Your Silk Pillowcase
- How Often to Replace Bed Sheets
- How to Buy the Right Bed Sheets
- How to Wash Bed Sheets
- Guide: Everything You Need to Know About Supima Cotton
- Guide to Cotton Sheets: What to Know About Egyptian, Pima and Supima
- Guide: Why Thread Count Does Not Matter When Buying Sheets
- Guide: Why Buy Cooling Bed Sheets
- Guide: How To Choose the Best Bed Sheets
- Guide to TENCEL® Sheets: Everything You Need to Know
- Mattress Toppers: What Are They & Are They Worth It?
- Guide: How to Select the Best Mattress Topper
- 5 Ways to Make Your Mattress More Comfortable
- How Do I Make My “Hot” Mattress Sleep Cooler?
- How to Care for Your Memory Foam Mattress Topper
- Weighted Blanket Size Guide: Determining the Right Size
- Benefits of Weighted Blankets for Autism
- 10 Health-Boosting Benefits of Weighted Blankets