Timeline & History of Adjustable Base Bed
Last Updated on October 14, 2021
The adjustable bed basemay have recently come into vogue with today’s décor, but the comforting bed actually dates back to the 19th century. The first patent for a frame that is movable was registered in the late 1800s in Cincinnati, Ohio by a mattress company known as Andrew Wuest and Son.
1874 First Movable Bed Frame Patented
Simple Hinged Head
In 1874 the Andrew Wuest and Son’s moveable bed frame made its debut. The 1800s version simply had a head that was hinged in order to be elevated. It took a few more decades to create the first adjustable bed frame that would be the pattern for what we have in modern day.
1909 Adjustable Bed Base is Invented
Dr. Gatch Creates Gatch Bed
The early 1900s Dr. Willis Dew Gatch took notice of the need to save patients from severe infection from being left lying flat after surgery. In the flat position one was unable to move and wounds stood the risk of not draining to heal. In 1909 Gatch took it upon himself to invent a bed system that would allow for one to sit up at rest to drain surgical lacerations properly.
The bed, known as the Gatch Bed, was the basis for all adjustable bed frames to come. Split into three separate sections, each segment could be positioned as needed to situate the bed for exclusive needs of patients. During WWI, the Gatch Bed was used for hurt soldiers to help in healing. The comfort that the positional bed provided helped with the curative process. Gatch’s bed became the standard for the modern electric hospital bed that is still used and is now utilized for home comfort as the modern adjustable bed frame. The doctor realized his vision creating a bed that was easily maneuvered to many different positions to help achieve the best recuperation along with comfort and relaxation.
Adjustable Bed Base Modernized for Hospital Use
The bed stayed true to Gatch’s patent as it was enhanced with added features to accommodate needs of hospitals. The earlier beds were maneuvered with use of a crank at the bed’s foot coupled with the use of electricity. Now fully electric, the adjustable bed base is easily operated with the touch of a button.
The Fowler Position
Another doctor, George Ryerson Fowler, saw the need to allow for the bed to adjust to move even more to what is now known as Fowler’s position. This position permits the head of the bed to be raised up to a 90-degree right angle to allow for easier patient feeding, breathing and grooming, along with better drainage after certain procedures.
Added Hospital Features
Features are added to the adjustable bed base to assist hospital needs.
- Side Rails
- Exit Alarm
- CPR Function Position
These all aid in helping those caring for patients to provide safety and quick response for emergencies.
1974 Adjustable Bed Base Goes from Hospital to Home Comfort
Bed Moves from Hospital to Home Enjoyment
With TVs added to the bedroom folks came to realize that the room was no longer relegated for just sleep. The bed was becoming an entertainment center for reading, watching TV and spending quality time in. Taking notice of a need for more bed comfort, the Craftmatic Adjustable Bed company was formed in 1974 to manufacture adjustable beds specifically for home use.
The commercials showcased couples sitting up reading and watching a favorite show, or in a more reclined position ready for a peaceful slumber. The home bed made it easier for elderly, and those recovering from surgery, to achieve the same comfort and needs that the hospital bed provides.
The Craftmatic beds were merely made to bring the basic hospital bed into the home décor. Other than the comfort factor, the adjustable bed frame remained pretty much unchanged until it became more mainstreamed with a new century.
21st Century Untethered Tech-Advanced Adjustable Bed Frame
Perfect Mate for Memory Foam Mattress
The 21st Century brought technological advancements in the bed industry. The memory foam mattress became the bedding of choice as companies perfected its cooling and comfort abilities. The adjustable bed base makes the perfect platform for a mattress that is so easily bendable it can be delivered shrink wrapped in a small box.
People are seeing the adjustable bed frame become mainstream as a mate for the now sought-after memory foam mattress. With companies competing to offer the best movable base for the money, the adjustable frame has become more décor and technologically savvy. GhostBed’s adjustable bed base offers all the luxuries one could dream of but with a very affordable price tag.
Additional Modern Life Extras
No longer is the base’s remote tethered to the bed frame and used for simply raising and lowering the foot and head. The modern version of the adjustable bed base is made for lifestyle enhancement. To enrich bedtime well-being, the remote and base have plenty of extras. An electronic remote now includes:
- Preset positions for TV watching
- Programmable Memory Buttons
- Built-in massage with different mode settings
- USB Ports to charge up devices
- Under Bed LED Lighting
- Remote with built-in flashlight
The new-age adjustable bed frame is crafted from upholstered fabric designed for beauty to mesh with any décor.
As the movable base is being accepted by more it is evolving into something that people not only want, but also need for its ability to help improve health problems. Just as hospitals understand the need for a movable bed to improve healing, so are those seeking out the base for home use.
Allowing for the setting of a raised or lowered head and foot provides positions made to alleviate a host of health issues including: back, neck, heart, circulation, arthritis, and digestion. Using an adjustable bed base can greatly improve sleep apnea and snoring with the touch of a button. The advantage of having a comfy extra-large reclining massage chair in the bedroom to play, work, eat, and dream from makes the adjustable bed base a home furnishing must-have.
After undergoing three neck surgeries, Marc knew what it was like to live and sleep in constant pain. In 2001, after searching fruitlessly for a comfortable pillow and mattress that supported his neck and back ... Learn More
Quality • Comfort • Cooling
From $1,070.00 $749.00Shop Mattresses
- How to Choose the Best Mattress for You
- GhostBed’s Mattress Size Guide
- Mattress Disposal & Donation Guide
- Do I Need a Box Spring with My Mattress?
- How You Can Finance a Mattress Easily: Two Finance Options
- When Should I Replace My Mattress: The Definitive Guide
- Three Step-Process to Buying a Mattress Online
- What is the Best Memory Foam Mattress To Purchase?
- Shipping a Mattress: Top Questions Answered
- Memory Foam Mattress in a Box
- How Long Does a Mattress Last?
- How to Choose a Mattress Type: Memory Foam, Latex, Innerspring, Hybrid
- Guide: Why Buy a Split King Mattress Bed
- How Much Does a Good Mattress Cost?
- Guide: Firm vs Soft Mattress - Pros & Cons
- Mattress Firmness Guide & Scale
- Learn How to Clean Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How To Remove Blood Stains From Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Get Urine Stains & Smells Out of Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Disinfect and Sanitize Your Memory Foam Mattress
- The Benefits and 4-Step Process to Rotating Your Mattress
- Top 10 Reasons for Eco Friendly Mattress Cleaning
- How to Save a Water Damaged Mattress During a Hurricane or Flood
- How To Move a Mattress: Step-by-Step Guide
- Which is Best: Memory Foam vs Spring Mattress
- Which is Best: Foundation vs Boxspring
- Which is Best: Latex vs Memory Foam Mattress
- GhostBed vs. Casper Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Purple Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Leesa Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tuft & Needle Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tempur-Pedic Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Lull Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Loom & Leaf Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Saatva Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Brooklyn Bedding Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Helix Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Novosbed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Yogabed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Nectar Mattress Review
- GhostBed Luxe vs Purple 4, Casper Wave, Leesa Sapira & Tempur-Pedic
- 10 Health Benefits of an Adjustable Bed Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Amerisleep Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Lucid Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Tempur-Ergo Plus Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leesa Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Nectar Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leggett & Platt Simplicity 3.0 Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Reverie 4M Adjustable Base
- 6 Benefits of Sleeping with Your Legs Elevated
- 9 Benefits of Sleeping Elevated
- 10 Quality of Life Benefits of an Adjustable Base Bed
- 6 Benefits of a Zero Gravity Adjustable Bed Base
- How to Sleep Better with Acid Reflux
- Sleeping Elevated Helps with Spinal Alignment & Spinal Health
- Timeline & History of Adjustable Base Bed
- Why GhostBed’s Adjustable Base is High Quality but Less Expensive Than the Competition?
- GhostPillow vs MyPillow® Comparison
- Cooling Pillow Technology and Benefits
- Guide: How to Wash Any Pillow
- Guide: Best Pillow for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Hip Pain for 2021
- Best Sleeping Positions for Back Pain
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Arthritis for 2020
- Guide: Best Firm Mattress for 2020
- Best Mattress for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Stomach Sleepers
- Best Mattress for Back Pain
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Kids
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for the Money
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Heavy People
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Athletes
- Guide: The Best Mattresses for All Types of Couples
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Snoring
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Fibromyalgia
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Sex
- What is the Best Side to Sleep on: Left or Right?
- Best Sleep Positions During Pregnancy
- Easy Guide to Determining How Much Sleep You Need
- 16 Tips on How to Fall Asleep Quickly
- 4 Tips to Do When You Can't Sleep
- 9 FAQs: Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Cooling Tips for Better Sleep
- Guide: Best Cooling Mattress for Hot Sleepers
- Guide: Science and Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Sleep Trimester Guide for Pregnancy: 1st, 2nd & 3rd Trimester
- Tips for Healthy Sleeping During Pregnancy
- 9 Sleep Tips When Feeling Sick & How to Recover Fast
- Guide: How to Sleep with Insomnia & Sleep Better
- Guide: Restless Legs Syndrome and Sleep
- Guide: Tips & Tricks to Get Kids to Sleep & Recommended Sleep Hours
- Narcolepsy Guide: Signs & Treatments to Relieve Narcolepsy
- Guide: How to sleep Better with a Chronic Illness
- Guide: The Importance of Sleep for Weight Loss
- Sleeping Tips: Complete Sleep Tips Guide for New Moms
- Size Comparison Guide: Twin vs Twin XL Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: Full vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: King vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: California King vs King Mattress
- The Ultimate Guide to Pillowcases
- Guide: 3 Key Benefits of Silk Pillowcases
- Guide: How to Choose the Best Silk Pillowcase
- Silk Pillowcases: Your Newest Beauty Secret
- Guide: How to Wash Your Silk Pillowcase
- Guide: What is Mulberry Silk?
- How to Care for Your Silk Pillowcase
- How Often to Replace Bed Sheets
- How to Buy the Right Bed Sheets
- How to Wash Bed Sheets
- Guide: Everything You Need to Know About Supima Cotton
- Guide to Cotton Sheets: What to Know About Egyptian, Pima and Supima
- Guide: Why Thread Count Does Not Matter When Buying Sheets
- Guide: Why Buy Cooling Bed Sheets
- Guide: How To Choose the Best Bed Sheets