How to Disinfect and Sanitize Your Memory Foam Mattress
Last Updated on September 14, 2020
Beyond cleaning you can keep your mattress fresh by disinfecting and sanitizing as well. Find out how by reading these tips from www.ghostbed.ca.
Dust and particles will land on your mattress usually without you even seeing or detecting them. With so many people suffering from asthma and allergies it is imperative to assure that your mattress will not cause more harm to your health. These common allergens of dust mites pet dander, pollen and mold are irritants for sensitive eyes, noses and skin causing the health issues preventing you from having a comfortable sleep. Beyond your normal cleaning and removing of stains it is also important to keep your memory foam mattress investment fresh by disinfecting and sanitizing to ensure the best and most healthy sleep.
Method 1: Steam Cleaning
Method 2: Antibacterial Spray
Method 3: Vodka
Method 4: Ultraviolet Light
METHOD 1: Steam Cleaning
Dust Mites are little critters not seen by the naked eye but certainly can be felt in itchy eyes and runny noses. To combat this nasty allergen as well as other mattress enemies you will want to attack with heat. You may need someone to help with lifting and moving the mattress as you clean.
- Remove as much topical dust and dander as possible by vacuuming well using the crevice tools to get into every nook and cranny of the mattress top and sides.
- Use a garment or hand-held steamer, or rent a commercial steamer, and run the steam cleaner across the mattress surfaces making sure to get every inch or surface evenly using short bursts of steam. You do not want to use constant bursts of steam as this will result in soaking the mattress.
- It is a must to allow the mattress to dry completely before making it up and sleeping on it. Ventilate the room and turn on a fan to speed up the drying process
METHOD 2: Antibacterial Spray
Antibacterial cleaners are exactly what they imply – they are designed to remove and prevent harmful bacteria. When choosing a spray or solution make sure that it is not bleach as this will harm the mattress fibers and covering. If using a liquid cleaner, then follow instructions mixing it with the proper amount of water advised. Place liquid solution into spray bottle.
- Be sure to vacuum bed surfaces thoroughly to remove as much topical dust and allergens as possible.
- Spray your disinfectant solution or antibacterial spray lightly across all surfaces of your mattress including top, bottom and sides. Dip a clean rag in warm water and ring it out as much as possible to wipe down all surfaces after they have been sprayed totally.
- Make sure that mattress has time to dry completely before setting it up to be made for sleep.
METHOD 3: Vodka
Yes, your common vodka is actually a great disinfectant not only for your mattress but for skin as well. You don’t need to spend top bucks on the most expensive since all vodkas will work the same when used for sanitizing.
- Make sure that all of the mattress surfaces have been completely vacuumed to clean off lose dirt and particles.
- Simply pour the vodka into a spray bottle and then lightly spray to cover all surfaces of the mattress with the vodka without soaking.
- Once finished spraying, make sure to allow mattress to dry completely before using it.
METHOD 3: Ultraviolet Light
If you are suffering from intense allergies and need extra deep sanitizing, then you can go to an expert in cleaning mattresses. These businesses have special commercial grade machines and equipment made to attack specific allergens. In addition to steam cleaning, a mattress cleaning company should have the ability to use ultraviolet radiation that is harmful to microorganisms. The UV light breaks apart the DNA of the germ causing it to stop reproducing and die.
Once you have your fresh newly sanitized mattress be sure to keep it as clean as possible. Always lift the mattress off the floor placed on a platform or frame with foundation to keep germs, mold and dirt from accumulating under the mattress surface. Be sure to remake your bed weekly with sheets and bedding washed in hot water.
After undergoing three neck surgeries, Marc knew what it was like to live and sleep in constant pain. In 2001, after searching fruitlessly for a comfortable pillow and mattress that supported his neck and back ... Learn More
Quality • Comfort • Cooling
From $835.00 $635.00Shop Mattresses
- How to Choose the Best Mattress for You
- Mattress Size Guide
- Mattress Disposal & Donation Guide
- Do I Need a Boxspring with My Mattress: Foundation Choices
- How You Can Finance a Mattress Easily: Two Finance Options
- When Should I Replace My Mattress: The Definitive Guide
- Three Step-Process to Buying a Mattress Online
- What is the Best Memory Foam Mattress To Purchase?
- Shipping a Mattress: Top Questions Answered
- Memory Foam Mattress in a Box
- How Long Does a Mattress Last?
- How to Choose a Mattress Type: Memory Foam, Latex, Innerspring, Hybrid
- Guide: Why Buy a Split King Mattress Bed
- How Much Does a Good Mattress Cost?
- Guide: Firm vs Soft Mattress - Pros & Cons
- Mattress Firmness Guide & Scale
- Learn How to Clean Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How To Remove Blood Stains From Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Get Urine Stains & Smells Out of Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Disinfect and Sanitize Your Memory Foam Mattress
- The Benefits and 4-Step Process to Rotating Your Mattress
- Top 10 Reasons for Eco Friendly Mattress Cleaning
- How to Save a Water Damaged Mattress During a Hurricane or Flood
- How To Move a Mattress: Step-by-Step Guide
- Which is Best: Memory Foam vs Spring Mattress
- Which is Best: Foundation vs Boxspring
- Which is Best: Latex vs Memory Foam Mattress
- GhostBed vs. Casper Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Purple Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Leesa Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tuft & Needle Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tempur-Pedic Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Lull Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Loom & Leaf Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Saatva Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Brooklyn Bedding Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Helix Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Novosbed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Yogabed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Nectar Mattress Review
- GhostBed Luxe vs Purple 4, Casper Wave, Leesa Sapira & Tempur-Pedic
- 10 Health Benefits of an Adjustable Bed Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Amerisleep Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Lucid Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Tempur-Ergo Plus Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leesa Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Nectar Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leggett & Platt Simplicity 3.0 Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Reverie 4M Adjustable Base
- 6 Benefits of Sleeping with Your Legs Elevated
- 9 Benefits of Sleeping Elevated
- 10 Quality of Life Benefits of an Adjustable Base Bed
- Benefits of a Zero Gravity Adjustable Bed Base
- How to Sleep Better with Acid Reflux
- Sleeping Elevated Helps with Spinal Alignment & Spinal Health
- Timeline & History of Adjustable Base Bed
- Why GhostBed’s Adjustable Base is High Quality but Less Expensive Than the Competition?
- GhostPillow vs MyPillow® Comparison
- Cooling Pillow Technology and Benefits
- Guide: How to Wash Any Pillow
- Guide: Best Pillow for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Hip Pain for 2020
- Best Sleeping Positions for Back Pain
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Arthritis for 2020
- Guide: Best Firm Mattress for 2020
- Best Mattress for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Stomach Sleepers
- Best Mattress for Back Pain
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Kids
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for the Money
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Heavy People
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Athletes
- Guide: The Best Mattresses for All Types of Couples
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Snoring
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Fibromyalgia
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Sex
- What is the Best Side to Sleep on: Left or Right?
- Best Sleep Positions During Pregnancy
- Easy Guide to Determining How Much Sleep You Need
- 16 Tips on How to Fall Asleep Quickly
- 9 FAQs: Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Cooling Tips for Better Sleep
- Guide: Best Cooling Mattress for Hot Sleepers
- Guide: Science and Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Sleep Trimester Guide for Pregnancy: 1st, 2nd & 3rd Trimester
- Tips for Healthy Sleeping During Pregnancy
- 9 Sleep Tips When Feeling Sick & How to Recover Fast
- Guide: How to Sleep with Insomnia & Sleep Better
- Guide: Restless Legs Syndrome and Sleep
- Guide: Tips & Tricks to Get Kids to Sleep & Recommended Sleep Hours
- Narcolepsy Guide: Signs & Treatments to Relieve Narcolepsy
- Guide: How to sleep Better with a Chronic Illness
- Guide: The Importance of Sleep for Weight Loss
- Sleeping Tips: Complete Sleep Tips Guide for New Moms
- Size Comparison Guide: Twin vs Twin XL Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: Full vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: King vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: California King vs King Mattress
- How Often to Replace Bed Sheets
- How to Buy the Right Bed Sheets
- How to Wash Bed Sheets
- Guide: Why Supima Cotton Sheets and What’s It All About?
- Egyptian, Pima or Supima Cotton Bed Sheets: Which is Best for a Great Sleep?
- Guide: Why Thread Count Does Not Matter When Buying Sheets
- Guide: Why Buy Cooling Bed Sheets
- Guide: How To Choose the Best Bed Sheets