How Often to Replace Bed Sheets
Last Updated on June 29, 2022
With sleeping between the bed sheets night after night you will want to freshen up the bed with new sheets from time to time. Reasons to replace the bedding can be anything from wanting to swap out sheets worn from use to redecorating or wanting to include new sheets as a mate with a new mattress purchase.
Everyone needs sleep, but even more important is that children need the right amount of mattress hours in order to help them develop and grow mentally and physically. It is vital to get the best mattress for kids, as experts’ state that 40 percent of childhood is spent sleeping.
Different stages of childhood need varying amounts of sleep. Guidelines showcase that as a child grows their sleep pattern will change and adjust. Caregivers should be aware to make sure that a child is getting the proper number of hours sleep that he or she needs. Babies require the most amount of sleep and then the hours drop off from there. In order to get the best sleep possible, it is a must to get the mattress that will besthow promote a good night’s sleep for your kid.
I. Reasons to Replace Bed Sheets
II. How Many Sets of Bed Sheets
III. Buying Bed Sheets
IV. Repurposing and Donating Old Sheets
I. Reasons to Replace Bed Sheets
The oh-so-comfortable mattress has become the new center of home living. We no longer use the bed for just sleep time. Add media time, snack time, and work time in bed to the two-thirds of our lifetime that we spend utilizing the bed for sleep and it is easy to understand how important replacing bed sheets is.
Worn Out Bedding
Bed sheets can get more wear than our clothes. Fashion usually gets changed with every new day whereas the bed clothes are refreshed most commonly once a week. As we sleep skin and hair shed leaving their residue within the bedsheets. Along with night sweat this all creates the perfect home for allergy causing dust mites and bacteria.
When using the bed for lifestyle activities food, makeup, and pets can attribute to even more of a need to upkeep the bedding. Bed sheets should be washed at least once a week to keep the bed clean and healthy. With every activity, and each washing, the bed sheets become increasingly worn. Add to regular washing the need for harsher stain removal.
Eventually you may see the fibers actually-getting damaged causing the worn sheets to rip. Bed sheets will always need to be replaced at some point. Once stains are no longer removable, and rips, tears, and fraying edges are seen, it is probably beyond the time to replace the worn weary bed sheets. Note that even with longer lasting natural fibers, such as cotton, the bed sheets may still seem strong with no visible rips but will look dull and ready to replace.
It stands to reason that if you are freshening up the bedroom by redecorating then you will not want to be throwing the old sheets back on the bed. Maybe you have even treated yourself with an entire new and larger mattress with a comfy adjustable bed base begging to be completed with new sets of sheets.
Changing color palettes can trigger the want for new bedding as well. Sheets in soothing neutrals or fun colors and patterns can help change the entire look of a bedroom. This is the perfect way to add some newness to a fresh paint job without spending a tremendous amount on completely new furnishings.
Buying a new bed is the perfect reason to purchase new sheet sets. You will want to complete a new mattress with a brand-new protector and the best breathable sheets to create a wonderful bedtime happening to entice sleep. Even when replacing an old bed with the same size mattress you will want to complete the new bed experience by adding fresh sheets.
II. How Many Sets of Bed Sheets
Each bed in the household should have their own sets of sheets, even if you have a couple of beds that are the same size. A good rule of thumb is to have three sets of sheets per bed so that when one is being used another set is set to be washed, while an extra set is in linen closet ready to use. Households with little ones that could wet the bed may need more sets only for these beds affected.
III. Buying Bed Sheets
Buying sheets are not as easy as it once was. With so many fabric choices and mattress sizes it is important to be an informed consumer. It is worth paying a bit more for quality breathable cooling sheets as these will provide ultimate comfort coupled with longer wearing durability.
From big box stores, to department stores, specialty stores, and even some supermarkets you can now wander the aisles seeking bed sheets ready to buy and take home. Some of these stores are charging top dollar to pay for the brick and mortar costs. Be sure of what you want in material, breathability, and price before heading out to shop.
Purchasing your sheets online allows for you to see reviews from others in the same moment as shopping. The online shopping experience also allows for you to find the best bed sheets for your money as most sellers can keep prices lower than the retail shops due to lower overhead. Of course, it is also easy shopping when making a purchase from the comfort of your own bed at any hour of the day or night.
IV. Repurposing and Donating Old Sheets
So, once you have your brand-new sheets what do you do with the old ones. Old sheets are perfect for use around the house, as well as repurposing to create new furnishings.
If your old sheets are only being discarded because you want to spruce up the room or new bed, and still are not worn, then donate them to a shelter for homeless. You can also donate more lived in sheets to animal shelters.
Use for Cleaning
Instead of buying rags to clean the home and cars with, take the old sheets and cut them into small squares to be used as cleaning cloths.
Save for Drop Cloth
There is at some point a moment when just about everyone finds themselves doing a job that requires a drop cloth. Whether a painting or cleaning project, an old sheet can be stored away ready to unfold to use to protect the floor and furnishings.
A sheet is the perfect picnic blanket for its size and weight. Keep an old sheet folded and packed with your picnic basket and beach bag ready to go and use for a covering to sit upon.
In earlier days, way before we could run out to buy whatever we wished, pioneers would repurpose worn out items to craft new furnishings. By getting creative sheets can be repurposed into pillows, curtains, and rugs.
Sheets are the perfect material to turn into a beautiful rug or quilt. Cut the sheets into strips that can be used to weave into a rag rug. Use fabric from sheets cut into squares to sew into a beautiful new quilt.
After undergoing three neck surgeries, Marc knew what it was like to live and sleep in constant pain. In 2001, after searching fruitlessly for a comfortable pillow and mattress that supported his neck and back ... Learn More
Quality • Comfort • Cooling
From $1,270.00 $889.00Shop Mattresses
- How to Choose the Best Mattress for You
- GhostBed’s Mattress Size Guide
- Mattress Disposal & Donation Guide
- Do I Need a Box Spring with My Mattress?
- How You Can Finance a Mattress Easily: Two Finance Options
- When Should I Replace My Mattress: The Definitive Guide
- The 3-Step Process to Buying a Mattress Online
- What is the Best Memory Foam Mattress To Purchase?
- Shipping a Mattress: Top Questions Answered
- Memory Foam Mattress in a Box
- How Long Does a Mattress Last?
- How to Choose a Mattress Type: Memory Foam, Latex, Innerspring, Hybrid
- Guide: Why Buy a Split King Mattress Bed
- How Much Does a Good Mattress Cost?
- Guide: Firm vs Soft Mattress - Pros & Cons
- Mattress Firmness Guide & Scale
- What is a Hybrid Mattress?
- Learn How to Clean Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How To Remove Blood Stains From Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Get Urine Out of Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Disinfect & Sanitize Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How To Flip or Rotate Your Mattress (and Why You Should)
- Top 10 Reasons for Eco Friendly Mattress Cleaning
- How To Move a Mattress: Step-by-Step Guide
- Battle of the Beds: Memory Foam vs. Spring Mattresses
- Which is Best: Foundation vs Boxspring
- Which is Best: Latex vs Memory Foam Mattress
- GhostBed vs. Casper Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Purple Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Leesa Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tuft & Needle Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tempur-Pedic Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Lull Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Loom & Leaf Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Saatva Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Brooklyn Bedding Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Helix Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Novosbed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Yogabed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Nectar Mattress Review
- GhostBed Luxe vs Purple 4, Casper Wave, Leesa Sapira & Tempur-Pedic
- 10 Health Benefits of an Adjustable Bed Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Amerisleep Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Lucid Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Tempur-Ergo Plus Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leesa Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Nectar Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leggett & Platt Simplicity 3.0 Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Reverie 4M Adjustable Base
- 6 Benefits of Sleeping with Your Legs Elevated
- 9 Benefits of Sleeping With Your Head Elevated
- 10 Quality of Life Benefits of an Adjustable Base Bed
- 6 Benefits of a Zero Gravity Adjustable Bed Base
- How to Sleep Better with Acid Reflux
- Sleeping Elevated Helps with Spinal Alignment & Spinal Health
- Timeline & History of Adjustable Base Bed
- Why GhostBed’s Adjustable Base is High Quality but Less Expensive Than the Competition?
- What Kind of Mattress Works with an Adjustable Bed?
- How to Use a Bed Frame with an Adjustable Base
- GhostPillow vs MyPillow® Comparison
- Cooling Pillow Technology and Benefits
- Guide: How to Wash Any Pillow
- Guide: Best Pillow for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Hip Pain for 2021
- Best Sleeping Positions for Back Pain
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Arthritis for 2020
- Guide: Best Firm Mattress for 2020
- Best Mattress for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Stomach Sleepers
- Best Mattress for Back Pain
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Kids
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for the Money
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Heavy People
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Athletes
- Guide: The Best Mattresses for All Types of Couples
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Snoring
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Fibromyalgia
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Sex
- What is the Best Side to Sleep on: Left or Right?
- Best Sleep Positions During Pregnancy
- Easy Guide to Determining How Much Sleep You Need
- 16 Tips on How to Fall Asleep Quickly
- 4 Tips to Do When You Can't Sleep
- 9 FAQs: Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Cooling Tips for Better Sleep
- Guide: Best Cooling Mattress for Hot Sleepers
- Guide: Science and Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Sleep Trimester Guide for Pregnancy: 1st, 2nd & 3rd Trimester
- Tips for Healthy Sleeping During Pregnancy
- Sleeping When You’re Sick: How to Get the Rest You Need
- Guide: How to Sleep with Insomnia & Sleep Better
- Guide: Restless Legs Syndrome and Sleep
- Guide: Tips & Tricks to Get Kids to Sleep & Recommended Sleep Hours
- Narcolepsy Guide: Signs & Treatments to Relieve Narcolepsy
- Guide: How to sleep Better with a Chronic Illness
- Guide: The Importance of Sleep for Weight Loss
- Sleeping Tips: Complete Sleep Tips Guide for New Moms
- How to Use a Headboard With an Adjustable Base
- 6 Surprising Reasons Why You Can't Get Comfortable in Your Bed
- How to Train Yourself to Sleep on Your Back
- Size Comparison Guide: Twin vs Twin XL Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: Full vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: King vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: California King vs King Mattress
- The Ultimate Guide to Pillowcases
- Guide: 3 Key Benefits of Silk Pillowcases
- Guide: How to Choose the Best Silk Pillowcase
- Silk Pillowcases: Your Newest Beauty Secret
- Guide: How to Wash Your Silk Pillowcase
- Guide: What is Mulberry Silk?
- How to Care for Your Silk Pillowcase
- How Often to Replace Bed Sheets
- How to Buy the Right Bed Sheets
- How to Wash Bed Sheets
- Guide: Everything You Need to Know About Supima Cotton
- Guide to Cotton Sheets: What to Know About Egyptian, Pima and Supima
- Guide: Why Thread Count Does Not Matter When Buying Sheets
- Guide: Why Buy Cooling Bed Sheets
- Guide: How To Choose the Best Bed Sheets
- Guide to TENCEL® Sheets: Everything You Need to Know
- Mattress Toppers: What Are They & Are They Worth It?
- Guide: How to Select the Best Mattress Topper
- 5 Ways to Make Your Mattress More Comfortable
- How Do I Make My “Hot” Mattress Sleep Cooler?
- How to Care for Your Memory Foam Mattress Topper
- Weighted Blanket Size Guide: Determining the Right Size
- Benefits of Weighted Blankets for Autism
- 10 Health-Boosting Benefits of Weighted Blankets