Guide to Cotton Sheets: What to Know About Egyptian, Pima and Supima
Last Updated on June 29, 2022
Thinking about upgrading your bedding? If you're looking for the best cotton sheets, there are a few types that you'll see come up time and time again: Egyptian, Pima and Supima.
These three types are well-known as the finest cotton sheets, but it's important to understand the differences between them. Although they are all cotton fiber materials, each of these fabrics will provide a different sleep experience. Keep reading as we review the pros and cons of each!
Overview: Supima vs. Pima vs. Egyptian Cotton
There's a lot of confusion about the differences between Pima, Egyptian and Supima cotton for bed sheets. Here's a quick breakdown to help you decide on your next set of cozy, comfy sheets:
- Egyptian cotton must be grown along the Nile River, in, you guessed it–Egypt. This luxurious cotton usually carries a hefty price point, causing manufacturers to often blend the cotton with cheaper, lower-grade materials to make them more accessible price-wise.
- Pima vs. Egyptian cotton. Pima cotton comes from Peru and has a silky soft texture. Pima cotton is considered a luxury material but slightly more affordable than Egyptian cotton. Because Pima tends to have a higher price point, it often contains a percentage of inferior materials to bring the price down (just like in Egyptian cotton sheets.)
- Supima vs. Egyptian cotton. We consider Supima cotton "just right" when you think of the incredible quality and price point. This name-brand American-made cotton is known for its softness, strength, comfort, and strict regulation–so you know you're getting the quality you expect.
Why the Bed Sheets You Use Matter
You probably know the importance of selecting the right type of mattress… but if you're still sleeping on old, scratchy bed sheets, you're doing yourself (and your sleep) a disservice!
There's nothing better than crawling into bed and feeling cool, comfortable and luxurious sheets against your skin. The right sheets will help you stay comfortable all night long, so you get your best sleep yet.
Cotton bed sheets are by far the most popular option, and for many good reasons:
- They're super breathable, making them the better choice for warm sleepers than other types of sheets like polyester.
- They're easy to care for and tend to release stains easily when wet.
- Most types of cotton sheets are very durable, especially those made with long-staple fibers.
- As a natural-fiber option, cotton bed sheets are a great choice for those with allergies or sensitive skin.
- Unlike synthetic fabrics, high-quality cotton tends to get softer with age.
Additionally, cotton bed sheets offer a variety of feels, depending on the weave, staple and other factors. Staple refers to the length of the cotton fibers; longer fibers are stronger, softer and more durable.
Comparing Egyptian, Pima and Supima Cotton
Egyptian, Pima and Supima are all extra-long staple cottons and share some similar characteristics, but there are also some key differences to know. The most prominent difference is where they originate from.
Egyptian cotton, for example, is grown in Egypt right along the Nile River, where it has the perfect climate to grow. It's a luxurious choice with a price point to match. To combat sticker shock, some companies blend Egyptian cotton with other inferior fabrics to make them more affordable, so be sure to check the label before purchasing. It can be very easy to be duped when shopping for Egyptian sheets.
Pima, on the other hand, is grown primarily in Peru. Prices for Pima cotton sheets are usually still on the higher end, but are a little more accessible than Egyptian cotton. Similar to Egyptian cotton sheets, Pima may be blended with other fabrics to keep the cost of the sheets down.
Finally, Supima cotton refers to American-grown cotton, from the Western and Southwestern regions. A trademarked brand, the name derives from “superior” + “Pima,” denoting its high quality standards. 35% longer than other cottons, Supima is known for its strength, softness and comfort. This fabric is strictly regulated by the Supima non-profit organization, so you know you're getting what you're paying for!
Here's a quick comparison of these three types of cotton sheets:
- - Extremely soft and durable
- - Strictly regulated and verified for authenticity
- - American grown
Egyptian, Pima, and Supima: What are the Best Cotton Sheets?
Our pick for the best cotton sheets is Supima, for a couple of reasons. First, because of its strict regulations, you'll know you're getting the best quality sheets, with no cheaper fabrics blended in. While splurging on Egyptian cotton sheets might be tempting, the label simply refers to where the fabric was manufactured — it's much harder to tell the quality of the sheets at first glance.
Second, sheets made with Supima are a great choice if you have allergies or any skin sensitivities, because of its ability to resist mold and dust mites. Your Supima cotton bed sheets will last many years and help you get the sleep you deserve.
Our luxury GhostSheets are the perfect blend of premium Supima cotton and cooling TENCEL®. When blended with cotton, TENCEL® adds unbeatable wrinkle-resistance and a smooth, silky feel. My wife and I sleep on them every night, and we know you'll love them too.
After undergoing three neck surgeries, Marc knew what it was like to live and sleep in constant pain. In 2001, after searching fruitlessly for a comfortable pillow and mattress that supported his neck and back ... Learn More
Quality • Comfort • Cooling
From $1,270.00 $889.00Shop Mattresses
- How to Choose the Best Mattress for You
- GhostBed’s Mattress Size Guide
- Mattress Disposal & Donation Guide
- Do I Need a Box Spring with My Mattress?
- How You Can Finance a Mattress Easily: Two Finance Options
- When Should I Replace My Mattress: The Definitive Guide
- The 3-Step Process to Buying a Mattress Online
- What is the Best Memory Foam Mattress To Purchase?
- Shipping a Mattress: Top Questions Answered
- Memory Foam Mattress in a Box
- How Long Does a Mattress Last?
- How to Choose a Mattress Type: Memory Foam, Latex, Innerspring, Hybrid
- Guide: Why Buy a Split King Mattress Bed
- How Much Does a Good Mattress Cost?
- Guide: Firm vs Soft Mattress - Pros & Cons
- Mattress Firmness Guide & Scale
- What is a Hybrid Mattress?
- Learn How to Clean Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How To Remove Blood Stains From Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Get Urine Out of Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Disinfect & Sanitize Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How To Flip or Rotate Your Mattress (and Why You Should)
- Top 10 Reasons for Eco Friendly Mattress Cleaning
- How To Move a Mattress: Step-by-Step Guide
- Battle of the Beds: Memory Foam vs. Spring Mattresses
- Which is Best: Foundation vs Boxspring
- Which is Best: Latex vs Memory Foam Mattress
- GhostBed vs. Casper Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Purple Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Leesa Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tuft & Needle Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tempur-Pedic Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Lull Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Loom & Leaf Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Saatva Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Brooklyn Bedding Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Helix Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Novosbed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Yogabed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Nectar Mattress Review
- GhostBed Luxe vs Purple 4, Casper Wave, Leesa Sapira & Tempur-Pedic
- 10 Health Benefits of an Adjustable Bed Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Amerisleep Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Lucid Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Tempur-Ergo Plus Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leesa Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Nectar Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leggett & Platt Simplicity 3.0 Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Reverie 4M Adjustable Base
- 6 Benefits of Sleeping with Your Legs Elevated
- 9 Benefits of Sleeping With Your Head Elevated
- 10 Quality of Life Benefits of an Adjustable Base Bed
- 6 Benefits of a Zero Gravity Adjustable Bed Base
- How to Sleep Better with Acid Reflux
- Sleeping Elevated Helps with Spinal Alignment & Spinal Health
- Timeline & History of Adjustable Base Bed
- Why GhostBed’s Adjustable Base is High Quality but Less Expensive Than the Competition?
- What Kind of Mattress Works with an Adjustable Bed?
- How to Use a Bed Frame with an Adjustable Base
- GhostPillow vs MyPillow® Comparison
- Cooling Pillow Technology and Benefits
- Guide: How to Wash Any Pillow
- Guide: Best Pillow for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Hip Pain for 2021
- Best Sleeping Positions for Back Pain
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Arthritis for 2020
- Guide: Best Firm Mattress for 2020
- Best Mattress for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Stomach Sleepers
- Best Mattress for Back Pain
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Kids
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for the Money
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Heavy People
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Athletes
- Guide: The Best Mattresses for All Types of Couples
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Snoring
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Fibromyalgia
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Sex
- What is the Best Side to Sleep on: Left or Right?
- Best Sleep Positions During Pregnancy
- Easy Guide to Determining How Much Sleep You Need
- 16 Tips on How to Fall Asleep Quickly
- 4 Tips to Do When You Can't Sleep
- 9 FAQs: Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Cooling Tips for Better Sleep
- Guide: Best Cooling Mattress for Hot Sleepers
- Guide: Science and Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Sleep Trimester Guide for Pregnancy: 1st, 2nd & 3rd Trimester
- Tips for Healthy Sleeping During Pregnancy
- Sleeping When You’re Sick: How to Get the Rest You Need
- Guide: How to Sleep with Insomnia & Sleep Better
- Guide: Restless Legs Syndrome and Sleep
- Guide: Tips & Tricks to Get Kids to Sleep & Recommended Sleep Hours
- Narcolepsy Guide: Signs & Treatments to Relieve Narcolepsy
- Guide: How to sleep Better with a Chronic Illness
- Guide: The Importance of Sleep for Weight Loss
- Sleeping Tips: Complete Sleep Tips Guide for New Moms
- How to Use a Headboard With an Adjustable Base
- 6 Surprising Reasons Why You Can't Get Comfortable in Your Bed
- How to Train Yourself to Sleep on Your Back
- Size Comparison Guide: Twin vs Twin XL Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: Full vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: King vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: California King vs King Mattress
- The Ultimate Guide to Pillowcases
- Guide: 3 Key Benefits of Silk Pillowcases
- Guide: How to Choose the Best Silk Pillowcase
- Silk Pillowcases: Your Newest Beauty Secret
- Guide: How to Wash Your Silk Pillowcase
- Guide: What is Mulberry Silk?
- How to Care for Your Silk Pillowcase
- How Often to Replace Bed Sheets
- How to Buy the Right Bed Sheets
- How to Wash Bed Sheets
- Guide: Everything You Need to Know About Supima Cotton
- Guide to Cotton Sheets: What to Know About Egyptian, Pima and Supima
- Guide: Why Thread Count Does Not Matter When Buying Sheets
- Guide: Why Buy Cooling Bed Sheets
- Guide: How To Choose the Best Bed Sheets
- Guide to TENCEL® Sheets: Everything You Need to Know
- Mattress Toppers: What Are They & Are They Worth It?
- Guide: How to Select the Best Mattress Topper
- 5 Ways to Make Your Mattress More Comfortable
- How Do I Make My “Hot” Mattress Sleep Cooler?
- How to Care for Your Memory Foam Mattress Topper
- Weighted Blanket Size Guide: Determining the Right Size
- Benefits of Weighted Blankets for Autism
- 10 Health-Boosting Benefits of Weighted Blankets