Best Mattress for Side Sleepers
Last Updated on June 15, 2021
Are you a side sleeper? Read our comprehensive guide on the benefits of sleeping on your side along with some helpful sleeping tips.
I. Benefits for Side Sleepers
II. Positions for Side Sleepers
III. Side Sleeping Tips – Right Side VS. Left Side
IV. Side Sleeper FAQ’s
V. GhostBed Side Sleeper Reviews
The most common position to fall asleep in is on the side. Many even state, that sleeping on one’s side, especially the left side, is the healthiest as well. Experts detail that side sleeping can even help to alleviate insomnia and loss of sleep. With all of that in mind, for those who prefer sleeping on the side, it is important to pay attention to get the best mattress for side sleepers.
A softer memory foam mattress will generally mold to the contours of the body. This will allow for the bed to touch each part of your side that you are resting on, providing just enough of the right pressure to snuggly give the proper support. Stay away from a very firm mattress that could end up providing open gaps for an unsupportive and less restful sleep.
I. Benefits for Side Sleepers
Sleeping on your side has a few alternative positions along with numerous benefits.The side position allows for the spine to lie in a straight and natural position. This position can even reduce, or even eliminate, snoring by keeping airways open, which is especially helpful for those who share a bed. With the side sleeping position allowing for the subsiding of pain, it is even encouraged by doctors for those with back pain or hip pain, and for pregnant women. Health professionals have even lauded the praises of sleeping particularly on the left side.
II. Positions for Side Sleepers and What They Mean
Ever heard someone state, “I slept like a log,” then most likely that person does sleep in the log position on their side. Studies have determined that 15-percent of people do sleep like a log. Just like its name, this side sleeping position will have you your torso prone straight on your side with each arm straight down following the line of your body. Legs will be stacked straight as well. With your body prone in a level position, it allows for the spine to lie straight as well promoting good posture. This straight position helps with the reduction of acid reflux. As airways are more apt to stay open, snoring will be decreased with this position. Therefore, doctors ask patients with sleep apnea to try to sleep on their sides as well. The log position is often shown to be enjoyed by social, laidback, trusting folks, who although naïve can also be stubborn in the way they think.
The often-heard praise, “sleeping like a baby,” is obviously derived from the fetal side position of sleep. The most popular of sleep positions, fetal side sleeping is said by experts to be enjoyed by 41-percent of adults, as it proves to be a source of comfort snuggling into one’s self. This is stated to be the most comfortable of positions, with the bending of knees up towards the chest just like a baby in the womb. Be aware that with the fetal position if you scrunch yourself up too much can leave those with joint pain sore upon waking. When sleeping on the side like this, experts advise that people with back pain place a thin pillow between the legs. By separating the legs with a pillow, it allows for the upper leg to be supported and the spine to be in an aligned position. This will reduce pressure on the hips and lower portion of the back. This position is also good to alleviate snoring. People who are fetal position sleepers tend to be tough on the outside but soft on the inside. These are folks who prove to be a bit shy but are also caring, reliable and organized, and always ready to tackle their day.
Yearners, seem be those longing for more than just the basic log position. Approximately 13-percent of people are yearners. In the yearner position, the body is relatively straight, like the log, but with arms straight out from the body, as if yearning to reach for something in their sleep. The legs are stacked like the log but not as prone, with a slight bend to the knees. Side sleeping as a yearner will help reduce snoring and sleep apnea associated issues. The folks who sleep in the yearner position are said to be open minded to new things in life, but at the same time can be apprehensive, skeptical and suspicious. They can take a long time when decisions need to be made and once made, will be unlikely to waver from their decision. They can also be prone to give up quickly when presented with a problem or question.
III. Side Sleeping Tips – Right Side Versus Left Side
- Sleeping on the left side in the fetal position is recommended for women who are pregnant since it is known to increase the circulation in the body and the fetus. On the left side, the liver will be saved from the uterus crushing it.
- Doctors have found that heartburn sufferers garner more relief from snoozing on the left side instead of the right side. In fact, in some cases, physicians have seen an increase in symptoms when sleeping on the right side.
- With the organs being asymmetrically placed in the body, when a person sleeps on their left side it is more likely that waste will flow easier into the larger intestine from the small intestine.
- Another organ that benefits from left side sleeping is the Spleen. The gravity of sleeping on the left side allows for better drainage.
- An additional surprising find is that the left side of the body is dominant for the lymph nodes. This means that as you slumber on the left side, the body will be working better to get rid of toxins and fluids.
- Those with varicose veins will definitely want to try staying on the left side for sleep as it improves circulation with the reduction of weight on the largest vein in the body, the vena cava, which is on the body’s right side.
IV. Side Sleeper FAQ’s
What is the healthiest side sleeping position?
As detailed by health professionals it seems that sleeping on one’s left side is preferred to the right side. This is especially recommended for pregnant women and those with acid reflux.
How do you choose the right pillow for side sleeping?
Side sleepers need to take care of choosing the right pillow to provide the right support to prevent neck pain. It is important to take into consideration the loft, or height, of the pillow. For side sleepers, it is recommended to use a pillow with a higher loft that will sit in line with the height of the shoulder. With the pillow at the right height side sleepers get the much-needed support to prevent pain.
Are there any accessories that will help with side sleeping?
Along with the proper pillow for your head, you may want to try a thin pillow between the legs. This will alleviate the pressure of the top hip resting on the bottom hip and keep the spine aligned as you sleep, allowing you to wake to less pain. In addition, there are full body pillows as well as special side sleeper arm rest pillows that help keep limbs and organs aligned during slumber.
V. GhostBed Side Sleeper Reviews
With three different side sleeping positions, it is likely that a variable of one is what will lull you off to dreamland. Along with the right pillow you will also want to make sure that you have the best mattress for side sleepers.
GhostBed is an ideal mattress for side sleepers, with real customers reviewing their experience.
After undergoing three neck surgeries, Marc knew what it was like to live and sleep in constant pain. In 2001, after searching fruitlessly for a comfortable pillow and mattress that supported his neck and back ... Learn More
Quality • Comfort • Cooling
From $1,070.00 $749.00Shop Mattresses
- How to Choose the Best Mattress for You
- GhostBed’s Mattress Size Guide
- Mattress Disposal & Donation Guide
- Do I Need a Box Spring with My Mattress?
- How You Can Finance a Mattress Easily: Two Finance Options
- When Should I Replace My Mattress: The Definitive Guide
- Three Step-Process to Buying a Mattress Online
- What is the Best Memory Foam Mattress To Purchase?
- Shipping a Mattress: Top Questions Answered
- Memory Foam Mattress in a Box
- How Long Does a Mattress Last?
- How to Choose a Mattress Type: Memory Foam, Latex, Innerspring, Hybrid
- Guide: Why Buy a Split King Mattress Bed
- How Much Does a Good Mattress Cost?
- Guide: Firm vs Soft Mattress - Pros & Cons
- Mattress Firmness Guide & Scale
- Learn How to Clean Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How To Remove Blood Stains From Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Get Urine Stains & Smells Out of Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Disinfect and Sanitize Your Memory Foam Mattress
- The Benefits and 4-Step Process to Rotating Your Mattress
- Top 10 Reasons for Eco Friendly Mattress Cleaning
- How to Save a Water Damaged Mattress During a Hurricane or Flood
- How To Move a Mattress: Step-by-Step Guide
- Which is Best: Memory Foam vs Spring Mattress
- Which is Best: Foundation vs Boxspring
- Which is Best: Latex vs Memory Foam Mattress
- GhostBed vs. Casper Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Purple Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Leesa Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tuft & Needle Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tempur-Pedic Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Lull Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Loom & Leaf Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Saatva Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Brooklyn Bedding Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Helix Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Novosbed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Yogabed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Nectar Mattress Review
- GhostBed Luxe vs Purple 4, Casper Wave, Leesa Sapira & Tempur-Pedic
- 10 Health Benefits of an Adjustable Bed Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Amerisleep Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Lucid Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Tempur-Ergo Plus Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leesa Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Nectar Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leggett & Platt Simplicity 3.0 Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Reverie 4M Adjustable Base
- 6 Benefits of Sleeping with Your Legs Elevated
- 9 Benefits of Sleeping Elevated
- 10 Quality of Life Benefits of an Adjustable Base Bed
- 6 Benefits of a Zero Gravity Adjustable Bed Base
- How to Sleep Better with Acid Reflux
- Sleeping Elevated Helps with Spinal Alignment & Spinal Health
- Timeline & History of Adjustable Base Bed
- Why GhostBed’s Adjustable Base is High Quality but Less Expensive Than the Competition?
- GhostPillow vs MyPillow® Comparison
- Cooling Pillow Technology and Benefits
- Guide: How to Wash Any Pillow
- Guide: Best Pillow for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Hip Pain for 2021
- Best Sleeping Positions for Back Pain
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Arthritis for 2020
- Guide: Best Firm Mattress for 2020
- Best Mattress for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Stomach Sleepers
- Best Mattress for Back Pain
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Kids
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for the Money
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Heavy People
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Athletes
- Guide: The Best Mattresses for All Types of Couples
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Snoring
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Fibromyalgia
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Sex
- What is the Best Side to Sleep on: Left or Right?
- Best Sleep Positions During Pregnancy
- Easy Guide to Determining How Much Sleep You Need
- 16 Tips on How to Fall Asleep Quickly
- 4 Tips to Do When You Can't Sleep
- 9 FAQs: Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Cooling Tips for Better Sleep
- Guide: Best Cooling Mattress for Hot Sleepers
- Guide: Science and Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Sleep Trimester Guide for Pregnancy: 1st, 2nd & 3rd Trimester
- Tips for Healthy Sleeping During Pregnancy
- 9 Sleep Tips When Feeling Sick & How to Recover Fast
- Guide: How to Sleep with Insomnia & Sleep Better
- Guide: Restless Legs Syndrome and Sleep
- Guide: Tips & Tricks to Get Kids to Sleep & Recommended Sleep Hours
- Narcolepsy Guide: Signs & Treatments to Relieve Narcolepsy
- Guide: How to sleep Better with a Chronic Illness
- Guide: The Importance of Sleep for Weight Loss
- Sleeping Tips: Complete Sleep Tips Guide for New Moms
- Size Comparison Guide: Twin vs Twin XL Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: Full vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: King vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: California King vs King Mattress
- The Ultimate Guide to Pillowcases
- Guide: 3 Key Benefits of Silk Pillowcases
- Guide: How to Choose the Best Silk Pillowcase
- Silk Pillowcases: Your Newest Beauty Secret
- Guide: How to Wash Your Silk Pillowcase
- Guide: What is Mulberry Silk?
- How to Care for Your Silk Pillowcase
- How Often to Replace Bed Sheets
- How to Buy the Right Bed Sheets
- How to Wash Bed Sheets
- Guide: Everything You Need to Know About Supima Cotton
- Guide to Cotton Sheets: What to Know About Egyptian, Pima and Supima
- Guide: Why Thread Count Does Not Matter When Buying Sheets
- Guide: Why Buy Cooling Bed Sheets
- Guide: How To Choose the Best Bed Sheets