Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Arthritis for 2020
Last Updated on May 3, 2021
The joint pain of arthritis is bad enough during daytime, but when bedtime hits it can be excruciating attempting to find a comfortable position for peaceful sleep. Along with proper attention to arthritic problems it is important to choose the best mattress for arthritis along with following tips to help soothe the pain.
I. Arthritis Explained
II. Mattress Necessities for Arthritis Sufferers
III. Best Mattress Type for Arthritis
IV. Arthritis Bedtime Tips
I. Arthritis Explained
Arthritis can hit all ages but is most prevalent in women and seniors. There are many forms from juvenile to rheumatoid which all can cause problems and severe pain and damage in the joints.
What is Arthritis
As defined by the Arthritis Foundation, “Arthritis is not a single disease; it is an informal way of referring to joint pain or joint disease. There are more than 100 different types of arthritis and related conditions.” Arthritis is a major disability in the U.S. affecting over 50 million adults and 300,000 children.
Symptoms from arthritis stem from the joints. These can include inflammation causing swelling and pain with stiffness and a diminished range of motion. Depending on the type or level, symptoms can be very mild to extremely severe. Those who intensely suffer may need assistance with a cane or walker and will have trouble just climbing a step. In addition to the pain, arthritis can cause damage to the joints such as arthritic hands with crooked fingers. There are even types of arthritis that will cause symptoms affecting the heart, eyes, lungs, kidneys and skin, along with the joints.
Types of Arthritis
There are several types of arthritis with the most recognized being Osteoarthritis and Rheumatoid arthritis. The localized pain of arthritis is what can be a burden on the quality of one’s sleep.
The most common form of arthritis is osteoarthritis. This occurs when the cartilage that cushions the joints get worn away over time. This causes the bone to rub against bone that results in pain, inflammation and stiffness. As one ages, symptoms can get worse with the loss of strength in the joints resulting in chronic pain. With osteoarthritis, it is important to get the best mattress for seniors with arthritis.
The inflammatory disease of rheumatoid arthritis can attack several joints in the body at once. This type of arthritis results in otherwise healthy joints being attacked by the immune system. Joint swelling results in stiffness and pain. As the disease progresses it breaks down the soft tissue around joints creating permanent joint damage and chronic pain.
How Arthritis Affects Sleep
A link has been seen between those suffering from joint pain and lack of restorative sleep. Pain can keep one from falling or staying asleep. Many spend the night attempting to find comfort and wake to experience fatigue. With each person affected being unique, one’s weight and size may have an impact on how arthritis impact sleep. Depending on the type of arthritis too can also cause other sleep disturbing symptoms such as a sensitivity to temperature, movement and noise.
II. Mattress Necessities for Arthritis Sufferers
When shopping for the best mattress for Fibromyalgia & arthritis sufferers it is vital to consider important factors that will help in decision making.
When suffering with joint pain one will want a mattress that is supportive with a surface that will not sag and remain level as one sleeps. The best supportive mattress will be one of a universal firmness that will generally support people of different sizes and weights equally.
It is important to have a mattress that will conform to the body’s contours so that it can works to keep the spine in alignment. This ability will also work to alleviate pressure points on aching joints.
In general, there are three levels of firmness when looking at mattresses: soft, medium, and firm. It has been found that 80-percent of the population enjoy the comfort of a medium, or universal, firm mattress. With the right firmness one will feel just enough support and conforming to cradle him or her off to dreamland and help comfort pain to keep from waking.
When in pain, any movement by a bed partner can cause one to wake in agony. The motion isolation from a good memory foam, latex, or hybrid mattress will work to isolate mattress movement from a moving bed mate to not wake the arthritis sufferer.
Be careful that the mattress is durable and will be long-lasting. A mattress that is not constructed well will have a much shorter life that can show signs of aging early on, such as sagging and indentations, that will cause major discomfort on pressure points for one who is already in pain.
Those stricken with arthritis may also see an over sensitivity to heat or cold. Certain types of arthritis can make this even more prevalent. Mattresses geared to sleeping not too hot may be the best choice. A cooling mattress can work to soothe coupled with a nice heating blanket that one can easily regulate.
When in pain one may find comfort in the ability to move into a more soothing position. A universal firm mattress should have just the right amount of bounce to conform to the body while not sinking the person in to allow ease of movement.
Imagine having more than a mere 10 minutes to try a mattress out for comfort before committing for life. Unlike a retail store, buying a mattress online can offer wonderful sleep trials for as long as 101-nights. This should give one sufficient time to determine if the mattress will help calm the pains of arthritis for a more peaceful slumber. If not happy then one can return the bed for a full refund.
III. Best Mattress Type for Arthritis
Sleep can become evasive when dealing with a painful hip or hips. Along with making sure that one has the best mattress for hip pain, there are other things to do to help find relief and slumber.
Memory Foam Mattress
The memory foam mattress has become the bed of choice for its contouring abilities. This type of mattress takes care to conform to the painful joints and cradle them to relieve pressure. It is important to make sure that the memory foam chosen is not too soft and has just the right bounce to prevent heavy sinkage. These mattresses also work well with adjustable bases that can aid one in getting in and out of bed.
As with memory foam, latex mattresses have become more popular for their contouring capabilities. Those seeking a natural option to memory foam may want to look at latex. Many manufacturers are now incorporating a latex layer in a memory foam mattress to create the ultimate bed comfort station. Add an adjustable base to the latex as well for easier mobility when entering and exiting the bed.
The hybrid mattress, such as the GhostBed Flex has individual pocketed coils encased by foam or latex. the coils work to help support the body. On top of the coil layer are layers of latex or foam. The foam or latex layers absorb motion as they work to contour to the body and relieve pressure points. Many have found comfort in the updated innerspring feeling with the contouring of the modern memory foam layers on top.
IV. Arthritis Bedtime Tips
Aching joints caused by arthritis can make finding peaceful rest seemingly a lost cause. In addition to the best mattress for arthritis, one will want to make sure that they follow some advice to help soothe the pain and get themselves drifting off to dreamland.
Try a soothing hot bath right before bed. Not only will the bath comfort the joint pain but it will also sooth the entire body. If bath time is not for you, then you can also soothe the painful area by applying a heating pad for 20 minutes prior to bedtime. This should calm the joint pain enough to get some shut eye.
As long as you check with your medical professional you may want to try an over-the-counter pain reliever right before bed to curb pain and invite sleep. If these do not help perhaps your doctor can prescribe a medication to help sleep problems and help the joints rest and recover.
Pillows can be useful for more than just resting one’s head. For neck pain, there are arthritis cervical pillows that will specifically support the neck and ease pain. Try a flat pillow between the knees for knee joint pain, and a wedge pillow behind you can help support the back and hips for hip pain.
Exercise and Stretch
Even in pain it is important to keep joints moving to prevent stiffness and pain. Try to maintain a comfortable level of exercise even if it is just for a short walk. Practice some stretches before bed and upon waking to help stay as pain-free as possible. The activity will help promote healthy sleep as well.
If one side hurts more than the other, then it is time to train the body to switch sides when sleeping. If this is difficult then try using pillows to help support the side you are aiming to lay on.
After undergoing three neck surgeries, Marc knew what it was like to live and sleep in constant pain. In 2001, after searching fruitlessly for a comfortable pillow and mattress that supported his neck and back ... Learn More
Quality • Comfort • Cooling
From $1,070.00 $749.00Shop Mattresses
- How to Choose the Best Mattress for You
- GhostBed’s Mattress Size Guide
- Mattress Disposal & Donation Guide
- Do I Need a Box Spring with My Mattress?
- How You Can Finance a Mattress Easily: Two Finance Options
- When Should I Replace My Mattress: The Definitive Guide
- Three Step-Process to Buying a Mattress Online
- What is the Best Memory Foam Mattress To Purchase?
- Shipping a Mattress: Top Questions Answered
- Memory Foam Mattress in a Box
- How Long Does a Mattress Last?
- How to Choose a Mattress Type: Memory Foam, Latex, Innerspring, Hybrid
- Guide: Why Buy a Split King Mattress Bed
- How Much Does a Good Mattress Cost?
- Guide: Firm vs Soft Mattress - Pros & Cons
- Mattress Firmness Guide & Scale
- Learn How to Clean Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How To Remove Blood Stains From Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Get Urine Stains & Smells Out of Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Disinfect and Sanitize Your Memory Foam Mattress
- The Benefits and 4-Step Process to Rotating Your Mattress
- Top 10 Reasons for Eco Friendly Mattress Cleaning
- How to Save a Water Damaged Mattress During a Hurricane or Flood
- How To Move a Mattress: Step-by-Step Guide
- Which is Best: Memory Foam vs Spring Mattress
- Which is Best: Foundation vs Boxspring
- Which is Best: Latex vs Memory Foam Mattress
- GhostBed vs. Casper Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Purple Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Leesa Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tuft & Needle Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tempur-Pedic Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Lull Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Loom & Leaf Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Saatva Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Brooklyn Bedding Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Helix Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Novosbed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Yogabed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Nectar Mattress Review
- GhostBed Luxe vs Purple 4, Casper Wave, Leesa Sapira & Tempur-Pedic
- 10 Health Benefits of an Adjustable Bed Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Amerisleep Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Lucid Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Tempur-Ergo Plus Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leesa Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Nectar Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leggett & Platt Simplicity 3.0 Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Reverie 4M Adjustable Base
- 6 Benefits of Sleeping with Your Legs Elevated
- 9 Benefits of Sleeping Elevated
- 10 Quality of Life Benefits of an Adjustable Base Bed
- 6 Benefits of a Zero Gravity Adjustable Bed Base
- How to Sleep Better with Acid Reflux
- Sleeping Elevated Helps with Spinal Alignment & Spinal Health
- Timeline & History of Adjustable Base Bed
- Why GhostBed’s Adjustable Base is High Quality but Less Expensive Than the Competition?
- GhostPillow vs MyPillow® Comparison
- Cooling Pillow Technology and Benefits
- Guide: How to Wash Any Pillow
- Guide: Best Pillow for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Hip Pain for 2021
- Best Sleeping Positions for Back Pain
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Arthritis for 2020
- Guide: Best Firm Mattress for 2020
- Best Mattress for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Stomach Sleepers
- Best Mattress for Back Pain
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Kids
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for the Money
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Heavy People
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Athletes
- Guide: The Best Mattresses for All Types of Couples
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Snoring
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Fibromyalgia
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Sex
- What is the Best Side to Sleep on: Left or Right?
- Best Sleep Positions During Pregnancy
- Easy Guide to Determining How Much Sleep You Need
- 16 Tips on How to Fall Asleep Quickly
- 4 Tips to Do When You Can't Sleep
- 9 FAQs: Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Cooling Tips for Better Sleep
- Guide: Best Cooling Mattress for Hot Sleepers
- Guide: Science and Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Sleep Trimester Guide for Pregnancy: 1st, 2nd & 3rd Trimester
- Tips for Healthy Sleeping During Pregnancy
- 9 Sleep Tips When Feeling Sick & How to Recover Fast
- Guide: How to Sleep with Insomnia & Sleep Better
- Guide: Restless Legs Syndrome and Sleep
- Guide: Tips & Tricks to Get Kids to Sleep & Recommended Sleep Hours
- Narcolepsy Guide: Signs & Treatments to Relieve Narcolepsy
- Guide: How to sleep Better with a Chronic Illness
- Guide: The Importance of Sleep for Weight Loss
- Sleeping Tips: Complete Sleep Tips Guide for New Moms
- Size Comparison Guide: Twin vs Twin XL Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: Full vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: King vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: California King vs King Mattress
- Guide: The Ultimate Guide to Pillowcases
- Guide: 3 Key Benefits of Silk Pillowcases
- Guide: How to Choose the Best Silk Pillowcase
- Silk Pillowcases: Your Newest Beauty Secret
- Guide: How to Wash Your Silk Pillowcase
- Guide: What is Mulberry Silk?
- How to Care for Your Silk Pillowcase
- How Often to Replace Bed Sheets
- How to Buy the Right Bed Sheets
- How to Wash Bed Sheets
- Guide: Everything You Need to Know About Supima Cotton
- Guide to Cotton Sheets: What to Know About Egyptian, Pima and Supima
- Guide: Why Thread Count Does Not Matter When Buying Sheets
- Guide: Why Buy Cooling Bed Sheets
- Guide: How To Choose the Best Bed Sheets