Guide: Best Firm Mattress for 2020
Last Updated on November 19, 2020
A medium firm universal mattress, just a little more above medium on firmness level, is often appreciated by most sleepers than a mattress that is too soft. The best firm mattress is one that still contours to the body while not giving a dreaded sinking in feeling.
I. Benefits of a Firm Mattress
II. Ailments Helped Using a Firm Mattress
III. Why Choose a Firm Mattress
IV. Why a GhostBed
I. Benefits of a Firm Mattress
There are several benefits of a firm mattress that will please every sleeper seeking comfort as well as affordability in a well-crafted bed.
Not only will a softer mattress force one’s body to sink in and not be properly supported, it is also more prone to having a shorter lifespan due to sagging and indentations prematurely. The sagging mattress will then exacerbate pressure points and pain. The firmer bed is not as vulnerable to early-on indents and sags so will generally enjoy a lengthier lifespan.
Not as Costly
Not surprisingly the firm mattress can be less costly than a softer bed. This is because a mattress that is firmer does not have the extra plush cushioning of its softer counterpart. The extra padding and cushion that makes a mattress thicker will also tend to drive up the price.
Sinking into a soft mattress can not only put undue pressure on joints, but it can also cause one to feel trapped and sleeping hotter due to limited airflow around the body. One of the benefits of a firm mattress is that it tends to have better airflow allowing for cooler sleep. You will also want to make sure that the mattress that is chosen is built using proprietary materials designed to keep heat away from the body.
Lower Profile and Less Weighty
The lower profile of the firmer mattress, without all the extra cushioning, can also make it less weighty than a softer mattress. With extra materials not needed, owning a firm mattress will allow for easier moving and turning of the bed.
Some are more sensitive to others when unpacking a foam or latex mattress and may complain of a slight off-gassing odor before it burns out when aired. With the firmer mattress tendency to have less foam, as with hybrids with coils, it will also mean that it will have lower smell producing emissions.
One answer to why choose a firm mattress is easy – better rest. When the body attempts to rest on a bed that is too soft it can sag into the mattress. This can cause the spine to be out of alignment and pressure of joints triggering pain and discomfort. The firmer mattress allows for one to have just the right enough of contouring to cradle pressure points and keep the spine properly aligned to achieve the best restorative rest possible.
II. Ailments Helped Using a Firm Mattress
The benefits of a firm mattress also assist in helping the body in order to rid one of painful ailments. The firmer mattress gives the body more support to help it restore.
A soft bed that allows for sinking can lead to more discomfort by not supporting the spine properly. As one attempts to get comfortable as he or she sags into a bed, the body will attempt to compensate for unsupported areas. It is vital to give the spine the right posture when it is at rest. Once the spine is aligned other body parts, such as the neck, shoulders and hips will follow falling into the proper position too. Sleeping on a firm supportive mattress will allow the body to stay in alignment to relieve painful pressure points and get restorative sleep. A hard day of stress on the body will be restored to health when the spine is in the right posture at night.
Proper Distribution of Body Weight
With a firm mattress, the weight of the body will be distributed properly. A too soft mattress can cause heavier parts of the body to sink into the bed. This can lead to too much pressure on the joints, nerves and muscles. The longer one sleeps on the softer bed the more of a chance the pain resulting will get worse. A firm mattress places the body on top. This allows weightier parts to not sink in and the body to be evenly supported and contoured.
Circulation will be improved when sleeping on a firmer mattress. A softer mattress can engulf the body and add pressure on muscles, veins and arteries. On a firmer bed the bones take on more of the pressure. This allows for improved circulation with muscles being less stressed.
III. Why Choose a Firm Mattress
Certain types of sleepers will find a more peaceful rest on a firmer mattress. Those who sleep on their back or stomach, or have a bit more heft, will find comfort in a bed that has a firm surface.
Those who enjoy sleeping on their back will find that a mattress that is firmer will allow for them to not have the dreaded feeling of their backside and torso sinking in. The firm mattress allows the back sleeper to have even support to keep the spine aligned and pressure points relieved.
Stomach sleepers do very poorly on a soft mattress, as the stomach will sink in too much causing the spine to curve and the body to be misaligned. Comfort for stomach sleepers can be found on a firm mattress that will give them the flat profile needed to cradle and contour the body. A bed must have just the right firmness to keep the pelvis area from sinking in preventing arching of the back.
Weight Challenged Sleepers
Heftier weight challenged sleepers will find that a soft mattress can quickly lead to needless sagging that can cause pain and stiffness in the back and joints. A firmer mattress can handle more weight, therefore be more durable and keep the heavier body supported and pain free. Read about the best mattress for heavier people.
IV. Why a GhostBed
The design of the GhostBed is perfect for those seeking the right blend of a mattress. It is firm enough to please those who want a firmer surface, yet comforting enough to contour and support pressure points to relieve pain and provide a great night of restorative sleep. It works to give every type of sleeper proper comfort and support as it keeps the spine aligned and conforms to the body.
The medium firm surface of the GhostBed allows for long-term support as well as optimal balance for comfort. GhostBed’s universal firmness helps to relieve pressure points and stiffness that lead to back, hip and joint pain.
One will know that they are sleeping safely on the GhostBed made with CertiPUR-US Certified Resources. GhostBed is careful to build their mattress without ozone depleters, and without PBDEs, TDCPP, or TCEP (“Tris”) flame retardants. There is no mercury, lead, and other heavy metals, nor formaldehyde or phthalates as regulated by the Consumer Product Safety Commission. Off gassing is not a problem with GhostBed as it has low VOC (Volatile Organic Compound) emissions for indoor air quality.
Soft Yet Supportive
The GhostBed is the best firm mattress with firmness just right for side, back and stomach sleepers. On the mattress firmness scale GhostBed comes in at 6.5 out of 10. This makes GhostBed just soft enough for pressure relief, yet firm enough for proper spine support.
Five Star Rated
Even in pain it is important to keep joints moving to prevent stiffness and pain. Try to maintain a comfortable level of exercise even if it is just for a short walk. Practice some stretches before bed and upon waking to help stay as pain-free as possible. The activity will help promote healthy sleep as well.
All one needs to do is read review from those sleeping on GhostBed to see what makes it the perfect mattress.
“The best part is, it’s firm, BUT not really. My hips and back sink in like it’s a pillow top, but the rest has support.” – John L., 5-star review
After undergoing three neck surgeries, Marc knew what it was like to live and sleep in constant pain. In 2001, after searching fruitlessly for a comfortable pillow and mattress that supported his neck and back ... Learn More
Quality • Comfort • Cooling
From $885.00 $619.50Shop Mattresses
- How to Choose the Best Mattress for You
- Mattress Size Guide
- Mattress Disposal & Donation Guide
- Do I Need a Boxspring with My Mattress: Foundation Choices
- How You Can Finance a Mattress Easily: Two Finance Options
- When Should I Replace My Mattress: The Definitive Guide
- Three Step-Process to Buying a Mattress Online
- What is the Best Memory Foam Mattress To Purchase?
- Shipping a Mattress: Top Questions Answered
- Memory Foam Mattress in a Box
- How Long Does a Mattress Last?
- How to Choose a Mattress Type: Memory Foam, Latex, Innerspring, Hybrid
- Guide: Why Buy a Split King Mattress Bed
- How Much Does a Good Mattress Cost?
- Guide: Firm vs Soft Mattress - Pros & Cons
- Mattress Firmness Guide & Scale
- Learn How to Clean Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How To Remove Blood Stains From Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Get Urine Stains & Smells Out of Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Disinfect and Sanitize Your Memory Foam Mattress
- The Benefits and 4-Step Process to Rotating Your Mattress
- Top 10 Reasons for Eco Friendly Mattress Cleaning
- How to Save a Water Damaged Mattress During a Hurricane or Flood
- How To Move a Mattress: Step-by-Step Guide
- Which is Best: Memory Foam vs Spring Mattress
- Which is Best: Foundation vs Boxspring
- Which is Best: Latex vs Memory Foam Mattress
- GhostBed vs. Casper Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Purple Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Leesa Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tuft & Needle Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tempur-Pedic Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Lull Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Loom & Leaf Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Saatva Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Brooklyn Bedding Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Helix Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Novosbed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Yogabed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Nectar Mattress Review
- GhostBed Luxe vs Purple 4, Casper Wave, Leesa Sapira & Tempur-Pedic
- 10 Health Benefits of an Adjustable Bed Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Amerisleep Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Lucid Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Tempur-Ergo Plus Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leesa Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Nectar Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leggett & Platt Simplicity 3.0 Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Reverie 4M Adjustable Base
- 6 Benefits of Sleeping with Your Legs Elevated
- 9 Benefits of Sleeping Elevated
- 10 Quality of Life Benefits of an Adjustable Base Bed
- Benefits of a Zero Gravity Adjustable Bed Base
- How to Sleep Better with Acid Reflux
- Sleeping Elevated Helps with Spinal Alignment & Spinal Health
- Timeline & History of Adjustable Base Bed
- Why GhostBed’s Adjustable Base is High Quality but Less Expensive Than the Competition?
- GhostPillow vs MyPillow® Comparison
- Cooling Pillow Technology and Benefits
- Guide: How to Wash Any Pillow
- Guide: Best Pillow for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Hip Pain for 2020
- Best Sleeping Positions for Back Pain
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Arthritis for 2020
- Guide: Best Firm Mattress for 2020
- Best Mattress for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Stomach Sleepers
- Best Mattress for Back Pain
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Kids
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for the Money
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Heavy People
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Athletes
- Guide: The Best Mattresses for All Types of Couples
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Snoring
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Fibromyalgia
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Sex
- What is the Best Side to Sleep on: Left or Right?
- Best Sleep Positions During Pregnancy
- Easy Guide to Determining How Much Sleep You Need
- 16 Tips on How to Fall Asleep Quickly
- 4 Tips to Do When You Can't Sleep
- 9 FAQs: Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Cooling Tips for Better Sleep
- Guide: Best Cooling Mattress for Hot Sleepers
- Guide: Science and Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Sleep Trimester Guide for Pregnancy: 1st, 2nd & 3rd Trimester
- Tips for Healthy Sleeping During Pregnancy
- 9 Sleep Tips When Feeling Sick & How to Recover Fast
- Guide: How to Sleep with Insomnia & Sleep Better
- Guide: Restless Legs Syndrome and Sleep
- Guide: Tips & Tricks to Get Kids to Sleep & Recommended Sleep Hours
- Narcolepsy Guide: Signs & Treatments to Relieve Narcolepsy
- Guide: How to sleep Better with a Chronic Illness
- Guide: The Importance of Sleep for Weight Loss
- Sleeping Tips: Complete Sleep Tips Guide for New Moms
- Size Comparison Guide: Twin vs Twin XL Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: Full vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: King vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: California King vs King Mattress
- Guide: The Ultimate Guide to Pillowcases
- Guide: 3 Key Benefits of Silk Pillowcases
- Guide: How to Choose the Best Silk Pillowcase
- Silk Pillowcases: Your Newest Beauty Secret
- Guide: How to Wash Your Silk Pillowcase
- Guide: What is Mulberry Silk?
- How to Care for Your Silk Pillowcase
- How Often to Replace Bed Sheets
- How to Buy the Right Bed Sheets
- How to Wash Bed Sheets
- Guide: Why Supima Cotton Sheets and What’s It All About?
- Egyptian, Pima or Supima Cotton Bed Sheets: Which is Best for a Great Sleep?
- Guide: Why Thread Count Does Not Matter When Buying Sheets
- Guide: Why Buy Cooling Bed Sheets
- Guide: How To Choose the Best Bed Sheets