Benefits of Weighted Blankets for Anxiety
Last Updated on May 9, 2022
Anxiety can be crippling for those dealing with the stressful feelings and well as loved-ones standing by witnessing anxiety’s side effects of stress, insomnia, and even weight gain. Weighted blankets for adults with anxiety, as well as children, can be the drug-free answer to finding relief and getting back to living life.
What Exactly is a Weighted Blanket for Anxiety
A weighted blanket is more than the mere blanket it looks like. Within the lining of a weighted blanket are evenly distributed pellets or chains that equal the weight that is needed for the individual user. this allows the blanket to feel a heavy comforting sensation as it is draped atop the body.
A weighted blanket for anxiety helps to calm the person laying under it, much like a child is calmed when wrapped in a blanket. The blanket’s evenly distributed added weight allows for pressure applied to the body that calms anxiety as if being held in a comforting hug.
Benefits of Weighted Blankets for Anxiety
Weighted blankets for anxiety and insomnia are a wonderful alternative to use in place of traditional drugs that can produce harmful side effects. By covering the body in a weighted blanket the pressure gives one the sense of grounding – with the benefit of calming anxieties to help one reduce stress and achieve healthy sleep.
The deep pressure touch of the weighted blanket simulates a massage type therapy that works to remove stress from the body. Once stress is removed, anxiety is lifted and one benefits with a sense of calmness that will help to sooth physical and emotional health issues. Weighted blankets for adults with anxiety are a great comforting tool to use to help end depression, insomnia, and weight gain.
Reduction of Stress and Depression
Pediatric providers have long seen the health effects that a weighted blanket has on patients. As with swaddling a newborn, weighted blankets and vests have been used to calm children with autism. Hospitals use weighted blankets to calm elderly patients as well as patients healing from psychiatric and trauma issues.
Using weighted blankets for adults with anxiety allows for the pressure of the covering to provide relief in its sense of being held. This works to reduce stress and depression is eased just as it would be when held tightly in a caring hug.
Aids Anxiety with Insomnia
The pressure applied by the weighted blankets for anxiety and insomnia on the body helps to boost the production of the serotonin brain chemical. Serotonin lifts one’s mood and calms overthinking that can keep one awake. Also, as serotonin is encouraged so is the melatonin hormone which works to promote sleep.
Helps Reduce Weight Gain
Cortisol is generated by the brain feeling under attack – as it will when one is feeling stressed and anxious. The excess cortisol can increase blood sugar levels which will then cause problems with the digestive system. A rise in cortisol levels can cause weight gain and other health complications. As the body is comforted in the hug of a weighted blanket the stress hormone of cortisol can be reduced, thus, reducing the possibility of weight gain due to anxiety.
How Does a Weighted Blanket Work to Reduce Anxiety
The weighted blanket for anxiety works the same way deep pressure touch stimulation therapy does. The deep pressure that the blanket provides on the body is much like receiving a soothing massage. As it sooths it also gives the entire body a hug sensation to calm one who is feeling anxious and stressed.
Gives Sensation of Being Hugged
Anxiety, depression and insomnia can be ongoing or come on with a day that has turned bad. There are times that just about everyone just longs for a warm hug. The weighted blanket works to provide a sense of being hugged that, in turn, can reduce blood pressure and pulse rates, and at the same time work to produce mood boosting serotine. It is a wonderful drug-free therapy to aid in the relief of anxiety.
Activates Serotonin Brain Chemical
The compression that is applied to the body’s pressure points by the weighted blanket encourages the production of the brain chemical serotonin. This is the chemical in the body that works to lift one’s mood and reduce anxiety. Depression is linked to low serotonin levels so the increased serotonin that the weighted blanket fosters can have a positive effect on one’s mood and entire wellbeing. The increased serotonin will also help to reduce stress and pain that leads to anxiety.
Discharges Melatonin Hormone
Once serotonin production is encouraged by the pressure of the weighted blanket, the serotonin then transforms to melatonin. This is the hormone than tells the body to relax and rest.
Induces Better Sleep
With a healthy-better sleep being promoted by the melatonin hormone linked to the production of serotonin, the weighted blanket pressure works to reduce insomnia problems. The hug feeling of the weighted blanket also allows the body to release the oxytocin hormone. This is the hormone that reduces blood pressure and slows heartrate which also will calm anxiety and relax the body.
What Weight Should a Weighted Blanket Be
For a weighted blanket to work properly it needs to be just the right heftiness for the individual who will be using it. One’s own weight will be the determining factor of how many pounds the blanket should weigh.
Experts suggest that a weighted blanket for anxiety and insomnia should be between seven and 12-percent of a person’s weight. The rule-of-thumb is that a weighted blanket is generally 10-percent of the adult user’s weight. When children are concerned, the blanket should be 10-percent of the child’s body weight – plus an added one to two pounds. One may want to consult a medical professional to help determine the best weight for a blanket fashioned for themselves or a loved one.
The soothing weighted blanket should not be overly heavy, but have just enough weight to provide the pressure one requires to achieve the feeling of being hugged. The positive hugging sensation allows for one to receive a safe feeling that calms anxiety as well as comfort health problems that can make one stressed and anxious.
After undergoing three neck surgeries, Marc knew what it was like to live and sleep in constant pain. In 2001, after searching fruitlessly for a comfortable pillow and mattress that supported his neck and back ... Learn More
Quality • Comfort • Cooling
From $1,270.00 $889.00Shop Mattresses
- How to Choose the Best Mattress for You
- GhostBed’s Mattress Size Guide
- Mattress Disposal & Donation Guide
- Do I Need a Box Spring with My Mattress?
- How You Can Finance a Mattress Easily: Two Finance Options
- When Should I Replace My Mattress: The Definitive Guide
- The 3-Step Process to Buying a Mattress Online
- What is the Best Memory Foam Mattress To Purchase?
- Shipping a Mattress: Top Questions Answered
- Memory Foam Mattress in a Box
- How Long Does a Mattress Last?
- How to Choose a Mattress Type: Memory Foam, Latex, Innerspring, Hybrid
- Guide: Why Buy a Split King Mattress Bed
- How Much Does a Good Mattress Cost?
- Guide: Firm vs Soft Mattress - Pros & Cons
- Mattress Firmness Guide & Scale
- What is a Hybrid Mattress?
- Learn How to Clean Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How To Remove Blood Stains From Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Get Urine Out of Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Disinfect & Sanitize Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How To Flip or Rotate Your Mattress (and Why You Should)
- Top 10 Reasons for Eco Friendly Mattress Cleaning
- How To Move a Mattress: Step-by-Step Guide
- Battle of the Beds: Memory Foam vs. Spring Mattresses
- Which is Best: Foundation vs Boxspring
- Which is Best: Latex vs Memory Foam Mattress
- GhostBed vs. Casper Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Purple Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Leesa Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tuft & Needle Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tempur-Pedic Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Lull Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Loom & Leaf Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Saatva Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Brooklyn Bedding Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Helix Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Novosbed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Yogabed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Nectar Mattress Review
- GhostBed Luxe vs Purple 4, Casper Wave, Leesa Sapira & Tempur-Pedic
- 10 Health Benefits of an Adjustable Bed Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Amerisleep Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Lucid Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Tempur-Ergo Plus Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leesa Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Nectar Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leggett & Platt Simplicity 3.0 Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Reverie 4M Adjustable Base
- 6 Benefits of Sleeping with Your Legs Elevated
- 9 Benefits of Sleeping With Your Head Elevated
- 10 Quality of Life Benefits of an Adjustable Base Bed
- 6 Benefits of a Zero Gravity Adjustable Bed Base
- How to Sleep Better with Acid Reflux
- Sleeping Elevated Helps with Spinal Alignment & Spinal Health
- Timeline & History of Adjustable Base Bed
- Why GhostBed’s Adjustable Base is High Quality but Less Expensive Than the Competition?
- What Kind of Mattress Works with an Adjustable Bed?
- GhostPillow vs MyPillow® Comparison
- Cooling Pillow Technology and Benefits
- Guide: How to Wash Any Pillow
- Guide: Best Pillow for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Hip Pain for 2021
- Best Sleeping Positions for Back Pain
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Arthritis for 2020
- Guide: Best Firm Mattress for 2020
- Best Mattress for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Stomach Sleepers
- Best Mattress for Back Pain
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Kids
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for the Money
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Heavy People
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Athletes
- Guide: The Best Mattresses for All Types of Couples
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Snoring
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Fibromyalgia
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Sex
- What is the Best Side to Sleep on: Left or Right?
- Best Sleep Positions During Pregnancy
- Easy Guide to Determining How Much Sleep You Need
- 16 Tips on How to Fall Asleep Quickly
- 4 Tips to Do When You Can't Sleep
- 9 FAQs: Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Cooling Tips for Better Sleep
- Guide: Best Cooling Mattress for Hot Sleepers
- Guide: Science and Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Sleep Trimester Guide for Pregnancy: 1st, 2nd & 3rd Trimester
- Tips for Healthy Sleeping During Pregnancy
- Sleeping When You’re Sick: How to Get the Rest You Need
- Guide: How to Sleep with Insomnia & Sleep Better
- Guide: Restless Legs Syndrome and Sleep
- Guide: Tips & Tricks to Get Kids to Sleep & Recommended Sleep Hours
- Narcolepsy Guide: Signs & Treatments to Relieve Narcolepsy
- Guide: How to sleep Better with a Chronic Illness
- Guide: The Importance of Sleep for Weight Loss
- Sleeping Tips: Complete Sleep Tips Guide for New Moms
- How to Use a Headboard With an Adjustable Base
- 6 Surprising Reasons Why You Can't Get Comfortable in Your Bed
- Size Comparison Guide: Twin vs Twin XL Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: Full vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: King vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: California King vs King Mattress
- The Ultimate Guide to Pillowcases
- Guide: 3 Key Benefits of Silk Pillowcases
- Guide: How to Choose the Best Silk Pillowcase
- Silk Pillowcases: Your Newest Beauty Secret
- Guide: How to Wash Your Silk Pillowcase
- Guide: What is Mulberry Silk?
- How to Care for Your Silk Pillowcase
- How Often to Replace Bed Sheets
- How to Buy the Right Bed Sheets
- How to Wash Bed Sheets
- Guide: Everything You Need to Know About Supima Cotton
- Guide to Cotton Sheets: What to Know About Egyptian, Pima and Supima
- Guide: Why Thread Count Does Not Matter When Buying Sheets
- Guide: Why Buy Cooling Bed Sheets
- Guide: How To Choose the Best Bed Sheets
- Guide to TENCEL® Sheets: Everything You Need to Know
- Mattress Toppers: What Are They & Are They Worth It?
- Guide: How to Select the Best Mattress Topper
- 5 Ways to Make Your Mattress More Comfortable
- How Do I Make My “Hot” Mattress Sleep Cooler?
- How to Care for Your Memory Foam Mattress Topper
- Weighted Blanket Size Guide: Determining the Right Size
- Benefits of Weighted Blankets for Autism
- 10 Health-Boosting Benefits of Weighted Blankets