9 Benefits of Sleeping With Your Head Elevated
Last Updated on June 24, 2022
What are the benefits of sleeping elevated? Whether you invest in an adjustable power base that lets you raise your head and feet at the touch of a button, or you go the DIY route with a few strategically placed pillows, many people experience better sleep right away when they sleep at an incline. In this article, we’ll explore some of the key health benefits and how this sleeping position might help you, too.
Overview: Benefits of Sleeping with Your Head Elevated
Sleeping elevated with your head raised, in particular, has been shown to have many health benefits, alleviating symptoms of many common issues and helping you get the great sleep that your body needs.
Benefits include reduced snoring and relief from other sleep apnea symptoms, migraine relief and post-nasal drip prevention, among others. Many people also get better sleep by elevating their legs simultaneously.
Reduces Mouth Breathing
If your mouth is dry upon waking, then most likely you are mouth breathing while asleep. Your mouth may naturally open as you’re sleeping because of nasal obstruction (like if you have a cold), nasal swelling, or even just out of habit.
Mouth breathing is associated with decreased lung function, which can in turn affect the quality of your sleep. It can also dry out your gums, increasing your chances of cavities, plaque and gum disease.
Sleeping on an incline can help, though; with your head raised, you’ll open up your airways, which makes breathing through your nose much easier.
Prevents Post-Nasal Drip
The body naturally creates about a quart of mucus each day. Most people won’t even notice it, but those with post-nasal drip certainly will as they deal with that familiar trickle down the back of the throat. Post-nasal drip can be detrimental to sleep because it causes you to wake up coughing and hacking as you try to clear the mucus in your throat.
Lying flat allows that mucus to gather in the back of the throat. Keeping the head elevated, on the other hand, can alleviate post-nasal drip because gravity won’t be pulling the mucus back.
Curbs Snoring and Sleep Apnea
Snoring may be an indication of sleep apnea, a disorder in which your breathing repeatedly stops and starts as you sleep. Whether it’s actually sleep apnea or just simple snoring, your involuntary noises can cause sleep disturbances throughout the night for both you and your partner.
Sleeping elevated will help to curb snoring and promote better breathing. This helps take the pressure off your airway so it’s easier for you to breathe.
Improves Blood Circulation
There’s a reason that hospitals use adjustable beds for patients with heart issues. Sleeping elevated, with both your head and feet raised in the zero-gravity position promotes blood flow to your heart and helps your circulatory system work more efficiently.
Relieves Shortness of Breath
Even if you don’t have a heart condition that affects your circulation, there may be times that you experience shortness of breath while lying down flat. This can be caused by a host of conditions, from medical to psychological. Raising the head of your bed can combat these issues, allowing for better breathing and less chance of being awakened by shortness of breath.
Eases COPD Symptoms
Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) actually refers to a group of diseases, including emphysema and chronic bronchitis. People with COPD experience breathing-related problems, especially as they sleep. Essentially, those with COPD may have unhealthy or enlarged lungs, which then flatten their diaphragm, making it more difficult to breathe. Other symptoms like a chronic cough, chest pain, and frequent nighttime urination can also affect sleep. Many patients also have an overlap of COPD and sleep apnea.
Soothes Head Stuffiness
Trying to sleep while sick can be challenging— especially if you’re all stuffed up. And lying flat can make it even worse. This is because your sinus passages can’t drain properly in this position, resulting in extra sinus and head pressure.
By sleeping elevated, the mucus will be able to drain more easily, allowing you to sleep more peacefully.
Reduces Heartburn Pain
Heartburn and acid reflux are common at night, so if you’re struggling with that familiar burning sensation, you’re not alone. To help alleviate the pain, try elevating your upper body so that your stomach acids can’t travel back up your throat.
Helps with Relaxation
Beyond all the medical benefits, sleeping elevated just feels great! Elevate your legs and feet at the same time to experience the “zero gravity” position, and drift off to sleep in style.
How to Elevate Your Head While Sleeping
Now that you know the benefits of sleeping with your head elevated, what’s the easiest way to get into position? There are a few ways to elevate the head of your bed:
- Insert a foam wedge between your mattress and foundation or box spring
- Stack several pillows directly underneath your upper torso and head
- Use an adjustable bed base
The easiest option, of course, is going with the adjustable base. Designed to work with any mattress type, an adjustable base allows you to quickly and easily adjust your head and your feet elevation, helping you to ease chronic pain as well as relax in style.
After undergoing three neck surgeries, Marc knew what it was like to live and sleep in constant pain. In 2001, after searching fruitlessly for a comfortable pillow and mattress that supported his neck and back ... Learn More
Quality • Comfort • Cooling
From $1,270.00 $889.00Shop Mattresses
- How to Choose the Best Mattress for You
- GhostBed’s Mattress Size Guide
- Mattress Disposal & Donation Guide
- Do I Need a Box Spring with My Mattress?
- How You Can Finance a Mattress Easily: Two Finance Options
- When Should I Replace My Mattress: The Definitive Guide
- The 3-Step Process to Buying a Mattress Online
- What is the Best Memory Foam Mattress To Purchase?
- Shipping a Mattress: Top Questions Answered
- Memory Foam Mattress in a Box
- How Long Does a Mattress Last?
- How to Choose a Mattress Type: Memory Foam, Latex, Innerspring, Hybrid
- Guide: Why Buy a Split King Mattress Bed
- How Much Does a Good Mattress Cost?
- Guide: Firm vs Soft Mattress - Pros & Cons
- Mattress Firmness Guide & Scale
- What is a Hybrid Mattress?
- Learn How to Clean Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How To Remove Blood Stains From Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Get Urine Out of Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Disinfect & Sanitize Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How To Flip or Rotate Your Mattress (and Why You Should)
- Top 10 Reasons for Eco Friendly Mattress Cleaning
- How To Move a Mattress: Step-by-Step Guide
- Battle of the Beds: Memory Foam vs. Spring Mattresses
- Which is Best: Foundation vs Boxspring
- Which is Best: Latex vs Memory Foam Mattress
- GhostBed vs. Casper Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Purple Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Leesa Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tuft & Needle Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tempur-Pedic Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Lull Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Loom & Leaf Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Saatva Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Brooklyn Bedding Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Helix Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Novosbed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Yogabed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Nectar Mattress Review
- GhostBed Luxe vs Purple 4, Casper Wave, Leesa Sapira & Tempur-Pedic
- 10 Health Benefits of an Adjustable Bed Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Amerisleep Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Lucid Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Tempur-Ergo Plus Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leesa Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Nectar Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leggett & Platt Simplicity 3.0 Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Reverie 4M Adjustable Base
- 6 Benefits of Sleeping with Your Legs Elevated
- 9 Benefits of Sleeping With Your Head Elevated
- 10 Quality of Life Benefits of an Adjustable Base Bed
- 6 Benefits of a Zero Gravity Adjustable Bed Base
- How to Sleep Better with Acid Reflux
- Sleeping Elevated Helps with Spinal Alignment & Spinal Health
- Timeline & History of Adjustable Base Bed
- Why GhostBed’s Adjustable Base is High Quality but Less Expensive Than the Competition?
- What Kind of Mattress Works with an Adjustable Bed?
- How to Use a Bed Frame with an Adjustable Base
- GhostPillow vs MyPillow® Comparison
- Cooling Pillow Technology and Benefits
- Guide: How to Wash Any Pillow
- Guide: Best Pillow for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Hip Pain for 2021
- Best Sleeping Positions for Back Pain
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Arthritis for 2020
- Guide: Best Firm Mattress for 2020
- Best Mattress for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Stomach Sleepers
- Best Mattress for Back Pain
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Kids
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for the Money
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Heavy People
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Athletes
- Guide: The Best Mattresses for All Types of Couples
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Snoring
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Fibromyalgia
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Sex
- What is the Best Side to Sleep on: Left or Right?
- Best Sleep Positions During Pregnancy
- Easy Guide to Determining How Much Sleep You Need
- 16 Tips on How to Fall Asleep Quickly
- 4 Tips to Do When You Can't Sleep
- 9 FAQs: Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Cooling Tips for Better Sleep
- Guide: Best Cooling Mattress for Hot Sleepers
- Guide: Science and Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Sleep Trimester Guide for Pregnancy: 1st, 2nd & 3rd Trimester
- Tips for Healthy Sleeping During Pregnancy
- Sleeping When You’re Sick: How to Get the Rest You Need
- Guide: How to Sleep with Insomnia & Sleep Better
- Guide: Restless Legs Syndrome and Sleep
- Guide: Tips & Tricks to Get Kids to Sleep & Recommended Sleep Hours
- Narcolepsy Guide: Signs & Treatments to Relieve Narcolepsy
- Guide: How to sleep Better with a Chronic Illness
- Guide: The Importance of Sleep for Weight Loss
- Sleeping Tips: Complete Sleep Tips Guide for New Moms
- How to Use a Headboard With an Adjustable Base
- 6 Surprising Reasons Why You Can't Get Comfortable in Your Bed
- How to Train Yourself to Sleep on Your Back
- Size Comparison Guide: Twin vs Twin XL Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: Full vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: King vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: California King vs King Mattress
- The Ultimate Guide to Pillowcases
- Guide: 3 Key Benefits of Silk Pillowcases
- Guide: How to Choose the Best Silk Pillowcase
- Silk Pillowcases: Your Newest Beauty Secret
- Guide: How to Wash Your Silk Pillowcase
- Guide: What is Mulberry Silk?
- How to Care for Your Silk Pillowcase
- How Often to Replace Bed Sheets
- How to Buy the Right Bed Sheets
- How to Wash Bed Sheets
- Guide: Everything You Need to Know About Supima Cotton
- Guide to Cotton Sheets: What to Know About Egyptian, Pima and Supima
- Guide: Why Thread Count Does Not Matter When Buying Sheets
- Guide: Why Buy Cooling Bed Sheets
- Guide: How To Choose the Best Bed Sheets
- Guide to TENCEL® Sheets: Everything You Need to Know
- Mattress Toppers: What Are They & Are They Worth It?
- Guide: How to Select the Best Mattress Topper
- 5 Ways to Make Your Mattress More Comfortable
- How Do I Make My “Hot” Mattress Sleep Cooler?
- How to Care for Your Memory Foam Mattress Topper
- Weighted Blanket Size Guide: Determining the Right Size
- Benefits of Weighted Blankets for Autism
- 10 Health-Boosting Benefits of Weighted Blankets