16 Tips on How to Fall Asleep Quickly
Last Updated on September 14, 2020
>How to fall asleep quickly is often the question keeping one awake watching the clock tick away. With busy lives, when bedtime comes the body is in a sudden halt being told to stop and sleep. Just as a busy mind has issues turning off for rest, so does the body. It is important to fit into your schedule ways that will allow for you to fall asleep quickly.
Most people need seven to nine hours of sleep time. With crazy fast paced days, it can be difficult to wind down for slumber time. From morning to night, thought-out routines can help you to get to sleep is a swift manner.
I. 8 Day Time Tips
II. 4 Night Time Tips
III. 4 Bed Time Tips
I. 8 Day Time Tips
1.) Wake Up at the Same Time Every Day
Your mind may yearn to sleep in on days off but this will mess with your body’s circadian rhythm. This is the rhythm that the body uses for daily activities such as a regular wake up time. If you mess with this on your days off by sleeping in it will mess with your overall quality of sleep, including falling asleep in a quick manner.
2.) Do Not Touch Snooze
By continuing to hit snooze you are allowing your body a false feeling of getting more sleep. It actually is just causing you to feel even more tired when waking and throughout the day.
3.) Say Yes to a Healthy Breakfast
Although many choose to skip breakfast thinking sleep is more important, breakfast is actually what will give you fuel for the day. The body needs breakfast, after fasting all night, to get the brain going and body moving. This will present for a day of healthy eating and good habits that will end with a better ability to fall asleep at bedtime.
4.) Let the sun Shine In
Natural sunlight is a healthy way to rejuvenate the body each day. Put on the sunscreen and step outside for 30 to 60 minutes of sunshine. Consider working it into your busy schedule by walking to the office or eating lunch outside. The natural sunlight works to help keep a sleep schedule regulated.
5.) Say No To Naptime
Even if you feel yourself dragging, a nap may cause issues when it comes time for bedtime sleep time. If you do find that you just cannot go on without closing your eyes during the day, then limit naptime to a 20-minute power nap.
6.) Fit in Exercise
Exercising during the day not only has health benefits, but works to reduce stress and encourage better sleep. Just keep from any working out within three hours of bedtime. Exercise can be as easy as walking to work or school, instead of taking transportation, or taking the stairs instead of an elevator.
7.) Daytime Calming Techniques
Take time throughout the day to practice relaxation techniques. Try visual, yoga, or whatever you can find that will work for you. This will help your body to understand how to relax and fall asleep when it is supposed to.
8.) Keep Caffeine Away from Late Night Hours
Drink your cup of caffeine in the morning. The caffeine boosts adrenaline keeping you awake. Understand that it takes at least six hours for the body to eliminate the caffeine, so be careful to keep intake far from bedtime hours.
II. 4 Night Time Tips
1.) Do Not Indulge At Dinner
Eat smaller meals throughout the day, including dinner. When eating a huge meal at night your body will be working in overdrive to digest leading to unhealthy indigestion and an inability to fall asleep easily. Instead you will be faced with a night of discomfort.
2.) Do Not Go to Sleep Hungry
A growling stomach will certainly shout to you to not fall asleep. If you wish to have a snack before bed keep it light and healthy. Eat a banana or have a cup of Greek yogurt. Want more of a treat then mix in some granola with a sprinkle of dark chocolate into the yogurt.
3.) Put the Computer to Sleep
Electronics have become over stimulating throughout our days. This is not a good mix when attempting to fall asleep quickly. Set the time, at least an hour before bed, to turn off electronics and give your brain a break to relax and get ready for sleep time.
4.) Soak in Warmth
A warm bubble bath may just be what is ordered to relax the body to be ready for falling asleep quickly. If no bathtub, or time to fill a bath, then a warm shower can be just as relaxing.
III. 4 Bed Time Tips
1.) Keep Clock Out of Sight
When seeking sleep, it is not in your best interest to watch the time on the clock. Keep the clocks out of view so you don’t have to worry about time ticking away.
2.) Hide Electronic Lights
The bright lights that glow from plugged in electronics can play with hormones and even cause migraines. These should be turned off or hidden from view to help enable the ability to fall asleep easily.
3.) Count Numbers Not Sheep
Keep your mind from thinking about daily tasks by wiping it clean with mundane numbers. Although sheep are cute they do not do much when it comes to counting them to get to sleep. Your brain wants to work so give it something to do instead of worrying. To help you to drift off quickly count backwards from 1000. For an extra boost, count back in increments of three.
4.) Breathing Techniques
With daily life moving quicker than we have the hours in the day to accommodate, we must take moments to breath. This is very true when it is time to fall asleep. Simple breathing techniques really do work to calm the mind and body down in order to get relaxed enough to drift off to dreamland.
4-7-8 Breathing Trick
The 4-7-8 breathing technique has been found to influence the brain in a chemical-like fashion, plus slow down heart rate so to calm and lull one to sleep. Breath through your nose for four seconds, then hold your breath for seven seconds, and finish by exhaling through your mouth for eight seconds.
In addition to watching diet and practicing healthy techniques, to get to sleep as quick as possible will also require you to have a comfortable mattress. Make sure that the bed you are sleeping on is not too old, sagging, and offering a less than comfortable sleeping surface. Experts have found that most people like the comfort of a memory foam bed with a universal medium firmness. You will also want a pillow that is just the right loft and firmness for comfort to help you drift off as quick as possible.
After undergoing three neck surgeries, Marc knew what it was like to live and sleep in constant pain. In 2001, after searching fruitlessly for a comfortable pillow and mattress that supported his neck and back ... Learn More
Quality • Comfort • Cooling
From $835.00 $635.00Shop Mattresses
- How to Choose the Best Mattress for You
- Mattress Size Guide
- Mattress Disposal & Donation Guide
- Do I Need a Boxspring with My Mattress: Foundation Choices
- How You Can Finance a Mattress Easily: Two Finance Options
- When Should I Replace My Mattress: The Definitive Guide
- Three Step-Process to Buying a Mattress Online
- What is the Best Memory Foam Mattress To Purchase?
- Shipping a Mattress: Top Questions Answered
- Memory Foam Mattress in a Box
- How Long Does a Mattress Last?
- How to Choose a Mattress Type: Memory Foam, Latex, Innerspring, Hybrid
- Guide: Why Buy a Split King Mattress Bed
- How Much Does a Good Mattress Cost?
- Guide: Firm vs Soft Mattress - Pros & Cons
- Mattress Firmness Guide & Scale
- Learn How to Clean Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How To Remove Blood Stains From Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Get Urine Stains & Smells Out of Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Disinfect and Sanitize Your Memory Foam Mattress
- The Benefits and 4-Step Process to Rotating Your Mattress
- Top 10 Reasons for Eco Friendly Mattress Cleaning
- How to Save a Water Damaged Mattress During a Hurricane or Flood
- How To Move a Mattress: Step-by-Step Guide
- Which is Best: Memory Foam vs Spring Mattress
- Which is Best: Foundation vs Boxspring
- Which is Best: Latex vs Memory Foam Mattress
- GhostBed vs. Casper Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Purple Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Leesa Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tuft & Needle Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tempur-Pedic Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Lull Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Loom & Leaf Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Saatva Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Brooklyn Bedding Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Helix Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Novosbed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Yogabed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Nectar Mattress Review
- GhostBed Luxe vs Purple 4, Casper Wave, Leesa Sapira & Tempur-Pedic
- 10 Health Benefits of an Adjustable Bed Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Amerisleep Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Lucid Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Tempur-Ergo Plus Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leesa Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Nectar Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leggett & Platt Simplicity 3.0 Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Reverie 4M Adjustable Base
- 6 Benefits of Sleeping with Your Legs Elevated
- 9 Benefits of Sleeping Elevated
- 10 Quality of Life Benefits of an Adjustable Base Bed
- Benefits of a Zero Gravity Adjustable Bed Base
- How to Sleep Better with Acid Reflux
- Sleeping Elevated Helps with Spinal Alignment & Spinal Health
- Timeline & History of Adjustable Base Bed
- Why GhostBed’s Adjustable Base is High Quality but Less Expensive Than the Competition?
- GhostPillow vs MyPillow® Comparison
- Cooling Pillow Technology and Benefits
- Guide: How to Wash Any Pillow
- Guide: Best Pillow for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Hip Pain for 2020
- Best Sleeping Positions for Back Pain
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Arthritis for 2020
- Guide: Best Firm Mattress for 2020
- Best Mattress for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Stomach Sleepers
- Best Mattress for Back Pain
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Kids
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for the Money
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Heavy People
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Athletes
- Guide: The Best Mattresses for All Types of Couples
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Snoring
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Fibromyalgia
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Sex
- What is the Best Side to Sleep on: Left or Right?
- Best Sleep Positions During Pregnancy
- Easy Guide to Determining How Much Sleep You Need
- 16 Tips on How to Fall Asleep Quickly
- 9 FAQs: Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Cooling Tips for Better Sleep
- Guide: Best Cooling Mattress for Hot Sleepers
- Guide: Science and Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Sleep Trimester Guide for Pregnancy: 1st, 2nd & 3rd Trimester
- Tips for Healthy Sleeping During Pregnancy
- 9 Sleep Tips When Feeling Sick & How to Recover Fast
- Guide: How to Sleep with Insomnia & Sleep Better
- Guide: Restless Legs Syndrome and Sleep
- Guide: Tips & Tricks to Get Kids to Sleep & Recommended Sleep Hours
- Narcolepsy Guide: Signs & Treatments to Relieve Narcolepsy
- Guide: How to sleep Better with a Chronic Illness
- Guide: The Importance of Sleep for Weight Loss
- Sleeping Tips: Complete Sleep Tips Guide for New Moms
- Size Comparison Guide: Twin vs Twin XL Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: Full vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: King vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: California King vs King Mattress
- How Often to Replace Bed Sheets
- How to Buy the Right Bed Sheets
- How to Wash Bed Sheets
- Guide: Why Supima Cotton Sheets and What’s It All About?
- Egyptian, Pima or Supima Cotton Bed Sheets: Which is Best for a Great Sleep?
- Guide: Why Thread Count Does Not Matter When Buying Sheets
- Guide: Why Buy Cooling Bed Sheets
- Guide: How To Choose the Best Bed Sheets