Guide: Why Thread Count Does Not Matter When Buying Sheets
Last Updated on May 9, 2022
If you're in the market for new sheets, there's a good chance you've heard about thread count. But does it really matter? Keep reading as we put the thread count debate to rest.
Overview: Sheets Shopping 101
Thread count is a measurement of the number of threads (both horizontal and vertical) woven within one square inch of fabric. But despite popular belief, thread count isn't the only thing that indicates quality.
Instead, here's what actually matters if you're looking for the best sheets:
- Fiber type and quality
- Where the fabric fibers come from and where your sheets are produced
What is Thread Count?
Thread count is exactly what it sounds like: the number of threads (both horizontal and vertical) woven within one square inch of fabric. If a square inch of fabric has 100 vertical threads and 100 horizontal threads, for example, the thread count is 200.
What's the Best Thread Count for Sheets?
According to some experts, the “best” thread count depends on the type of fabric you're talking about. Here's a breakdown of the ideal ranges:
- Bamboo: 300-500
- Cotton: 200-400
- Egyptian Cotton: 300-400
- Percale Weave: 200-400
- Sateen Weave: 300-600
How Are Other Fabrics Measured?
Some materials don't use thread count, which can make shopping even more confusing. For example:
- Flannel: Measured in grams per square meter (GSM). Heavyweight, durable flannel sheets are typically 170+ GSM.
- Jersey: Also measured in GSM. Most jersey cotton sheets are around 150 GSM.
- Microfiber: Measured in GSM. Good microfiber sheets will be in the 90-120 GSM range.
- Silk: Measured in momme. Momme is the number of pounds in a piece of silk that measures 45 inches by 100 yards. High-quality silk sheets are in the 17-22 momme range.
High vs. Low Thread Count: Does It Really Matter?
Traditionally, thread count was supposed to help shoppers compare products between different brands. Today, unfortunately, it is often used as a marketing gimmick. A higher thread count doesn't necessarily mean you're getting better quality sheets.
Here's why: manufacturers can inflate their thread count numbers (with some brands advertising thread counts as high as 1,200!). This trick allows manufacturers to lower production costs while maximizing profits–sneaky!
The truth is, thread count is not that important when selecting the perfect set of new sheets. Other factors, like cotton quality and craftsmanship, are much more important than thread count.
3 Ways to Identify High-Quality Sheets
So if you want to buy the highest-quality sheets for your budget, what should you look for? Let's dive into the top 3 things that truly make a difference.
1. Fibers & Fabrics
Fibers are long strands of singular material that are knit or woven into a fabric. Some, like cotton and silk, come from natural sources. Others, like polyester and rayon, are made synthetically. These fibers are like the ingredients in your recipe, and the fabric is your finished product. And if you're into cooking at all, you probably know that the ingredients matter!
Your starting fibers can impact all sorts of things, including how the fabric looks and feels, its strength and durability, and whether it will pill or wrinkle easily. Here's a quick rundown:
- Natural fibers, like cotton, create soft and absorbent fabrics.
- Man-made fibers, like polyester, are cheaper to produce but aren't as breathable.
Blending different fibers together is also an option. Our GhostSheets, for example, are a blend of 60% Supima cotton and 40% TENCEL®, for a soft, lightweight feel that's perfect for year-round use. We love Supima cotton because it's two times stronger than cotton, and eco-friendly TENCEL® helps with temperature regulation.
Fibers are either woven or knit into fabrics, with woven being the most common style for sheets. The weave style will also determine the fabric's feel and durability. If you're buying sheets online, look for this information before you purchase, since you won't be able to feel them in person.
A loosely woven fabric will be rougher to the touch and more prone to wear and tear—think burlap compared to Egyptian cotton. Here are some more examples:
- Sateen: Sateen weaves use short, spun yarns to create a luxurious sheen and soft feel.
- Percale: Percale is a tighter weave with a medium weight and no fancy sheen.
- Combed Cotton: With the “combed cotton” process, a machine removes short fibers and impurities, leaving just the longer fibers. Sheets made from this weave have a lovely soft texture.
Finally, the country of origin can impact the quality of your sheets, as every country has different rules and standards. We love American-made Supima cotton, for example, because it's twice as strong as regular cotton. Plus, it's super durable and able to withstand washing year after year.
Sheet You Can Count on For Years to Come
Suppose you're looking to experience luxury resort-quality bedding right at home. In that case, we suggest picking up a set of sheets that contain a blend of Supima cotton (from the USA) and oh-so-soft TENCEL ®, like our GhostSheets. A blend like this will deliver silky soft, cooling bed sheets that will last for years thanks to the sturdy TENCEL® fibers. And the best part? They're also moisture wicking, and bacteria- and allergen-resistant! Our 2" GhostGrip elastic band keeps everything secure, no matter how much you shift and turn in the night.
Ready to give them a shot? Click below to learn more, and get ready for an amazing sleep upgrade.
After undergoing three neck surgeries, Marc knew what it was like to live and sleep in constant pain. In 2001, after searching fruitlessly for a comfortable pillow and mattress that supported his neck and back ... Learn More
Quality • Comfort • Cooling
From $1,270.00 $889.00Shop Mattresses
- How to Choose the Best Mattress for You
- GhostBed’s Mattress Size Guide
- Mattress Disposal & Donation Guide
- Do I Need a Box Spring with My Mattress?
- How You Can Finance a Mattress Easily: Two Finance Options
- When Should I Replace My Mattress: The Definitive Guide
- The 3-Step Process to Buying a Mattress Online
- What is the Best Memory Foam Mattress To Purchase?
- Shipping a Mattress: Top Questions Answered
- Memory Foam Mattress in a Box
- How Long Does a Mattress Last?
- How to Choose a Mattress Type: Memory Foam, Latex, Innerspring, Hybrid
- Guide: Why Buy a Split King Mattress Bed
- How Much Does a Good Mattress Cost?
- Guide: Firm vs Soft Mattress - Pros & Cons
- Mattress Firmness Guide & Scale
- What is a Hybrid Mattress?
- Learn How to Clean Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How To Remove Blood Stains From Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Get Urine Out of Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Disinfect & Sanitize Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How To Flip or Rotate Your Mattress (and Why You Should)
- Top 10 Reasons for Eco Friendly Mattress Cleaning
- How To Move a Mattress: Step-by-Step Guide
- Battle of the Beds: Memory Foam vs. Spring Mattresses
- Which is Best: Foundation vs Boxspring
- Which is Best: Latex vs Memory Foam Mattress
- GhostBed vs. Casper Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Purple Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Leesa Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tuft & Needle Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tempur-Pedic Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Lull Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Loom & Leaf Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Saatva Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Brooklyn Bedding Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Helix Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Novosbed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Yogabed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Nectar Mattress Review
- GhostBed Luxe vs Purple 4, Casper Wave, Leesa Sapira & Tempur-Pedic
- 10 Health Benefits of an Adjustable Bed Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Amerisleep Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Lucid Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Tempur-Ergo Plus Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leesa Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Nectar Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leggett & Platt Simplicity 3.0 Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Reverie 4M Adjustable Base
- 6 Benefits of Sleeping with Your Legs Elevated
- 9 Benefits of Sleeping With Your Head Elevated
- 10 Quality of Life Benefits of an Adjustable Base Bed
- 6 Benefits of a Zero Gravity Adjustable Bed Base
- How to Sleep Better with Acid Reflux
- Sleeping Elevated Helps with Spinal Alignment & Spinal Health
- Timeline & History of Adjustable Base Bed
- Why GhostBed’s Adjustable Base is High Quality but Less Expensive Than the Competition?
- What Kind of Mattress Works with an Adjustable Bed?
- GhostPillow vs MyPillow® Comparison
- Cooling Pillow Technology and Benefits
- Guide: How to Wash Any Pillow
- Guide: Best Pillow for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Hip Pain for 2021
- Best Sleeping Positions for Back Pain
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Arthritis for 2020
- Guide: Best Firm Mattress for 2020
- Best Mattress for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Stomach Sleepers
- Best Mattress for Back Pain
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Kids
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for the Money
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Heavy People
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Athletes
- Guide: The Best Mattresses for All Types of Couples
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Snoring
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Fibromyalgia
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Sex
- What is the Best Side to Sleep on: Left or Right?
- Best Sleep Positions During Pregnancy
- Easy Guide to Determining How Much Sleep You Need
- 16 Tips on How to Fall Asleep Quickly
- 4 Tips to Do When You Can't Sleep
- 9 FAQs: Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Cooling Tips for Better Sleep
- Guide: Best Cooling Mattress for Hot Sleepers
- Guide: Science and Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Sleep Trimester Guide for Pregnancy: 1st, 2nd & 3rd Trimester
- Tips for Healthy Sleeping During Pregnancy
- Sleeping When You’re Sick: How to Get the Rest You Need
- Guide: How to Sleep with Insomnia & Sleep Better
- Guide: Restless Legs Syndrome and Sleep
- Guide: Tips & Tricks to Get Kids to Sleep & Recommended Sleep Hours
- Narcolepsy Guide: Signs & Treatments to Relieve Narcolepsy
- Guide: How to sleep Better with a Chronic Illness
- Guide: The Importance of Sleep for Weight Loss
- Sleeping Tips: Complete Sleep Tips Guide for New Moms
- How to Use a Headboard With an Adjustable Base
- 6 Surprising Reasons Why You Can't Get Comfortable in Your Bed
- Size Comparison Guide: Twin vs Twin XL Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: Full vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: King vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: California King vs King Mattress
- The Ultimate Guide to Pillowcases
- Guide: 3 Key Benefits of Silk Pillowcases
- Guide: How to Choose the Best Silk Pillowcase
- Silk Pillowcases: Your Newest Beauty Secret
- Guide: How to Wash Your Silk Pillowcase
- Guide: What is Mulberry Silk?
- How to Care for Your Silk Pillowcase
- How Often to Replace Bed Sheets
- How to Buy the Right Bed Sheets
- How to Wash Bed Sheets
- Guide: Everything You Need to Know About Supima Cotton
- Guide to Cotton Sheets: What to Know About Egyptian, Pima and Supima
- Guide: Why Thread Count Does Not Matter When Buying Sheets
- Guide: Why Buy Cooling Bed Sheets
- Guide: How To Choose the Best Bed Sheets
- Guide to TENCEL® Sheets: Everything You Need to Know
- Mattress Toppers: What Are They & Are They Worth It?
- Guide: How to Select the Best Mattress Topper
- 5 Ways to Make Your Mattress More Comfortable
- How Do I Make My “Hot” Mattress Sleep Cooler?
- How to Care for Your Memory Foam Mattress Topper
- Weighted Blanket Size Guide: Determining the Right Size
- Benefits of Weighted Blankets for Autism
- 10 Health-Boosting Benefits of Weighted Blankets