7 Hacks For Sleeping Cool in Your RV
Last Updated on May 10, 2022
RV life has its perks, especially in the summertime when the open roads are calling! But forgoing the creature comforts of traditional hotels can be tough when you’re dealing with sweltering, humid nights.
In most cases, you won’t want to run heavy-draw appliances like A/C units for long periods on your RV’s battery. If you don’t have a generator or solar panels integrated into your rig, staying comfortable come bedtime can be a problem.
Fortunately, it’s easy to keep your cool with a few simple tricks and tips. Read on to learn how to stay cool as a cucumber on your next RV excursion.
Overview: 7 Hacks For Sleeping Cool in Your RV
Staying cool while sleeping in an RV can be a challenge. Follow these simple tips to keep nighttime temperatures down on your next road trip adventure:
- Park in the Shade
- Close the Windows in the Morning
- Cook Outdoors
- Invest in a Cooling Mattress & Bedding
- Use a Portable Swamp Cooler or Fans
- Opt for LED Lights
- Shore Up Insulation
1. Park in the Shade
Before heading out for your trip, take a minute to look at maps of the campgrounds you’ll be visiting. This will allow you to plan out your parking to avoid baking in the sun all day. A tried-and-true tip is to park your RV facing north. That way, your awning will keep the sun out in the morning, and you’ll get a cooling shadow over your outdoor seating area during the heat of the afternoon. If it's difficult to find shade because you are staying in a desert climate, think about adding light-blocking shades to your windows. After all, shade is Mother Nature’s air conditioning!
2. Close the Windows in the Morning
This little trick is a holdover from the days before air conditioning. By shutting all windows in the morning, you will trap the cool night air into your RV. To keep that cool air in place, reduce the number of times you open and close your RV’s doors throughout the day
3. Cook Outdoors
Grilling a delicious meal on an open fire is arguably one of the best parts about RVing. Using a grill or open fire instead of your RV’s oven, range or microwave keeps the heat and humidity from filling up your sleeping space. To make outdoor cooking easy, prepare a few foil packet dinners that you can throw right on the fire once your belly starts rumbling.
With the GhostBed RV Mattress, you get all the comfort and cooling features that GhostBed mattresses are famous for in an RV-friendly size. Plus, it’s naturally antimicrobial and resistant to mold, bacteria and dust mites—an important feature for your home-away-from-home.
4. Invest in a Cooling Mattress & Bedding
Another way to stay cool at bedtime is to deck out your sleeping space with the coolest mattress, sheets and pillows possible. And good news: that’s GhostBed’s claim to fame! We design all of our mattresses and bedding to keep you cool and comfortable, all night long.
The GhostBed RV Mattress features 4 temperature-regulating layers, all in an RV-friendly size. And our luxury GhostSheets are crafted with a patent-pending blend of super-soft Supima cotton and breathable TENCEL®.
5. Use a Portable Swamp Cooler or Fans
We all know how refreshing a fan can be on a hot and humid night, but have you ever heard of a swamp cooler? A swamp cooler uses evaporating water and a fan to lower the thermostat. Because swamp coolers add to humidity, they are most effective in hot, dry climates like the south and southwest. Conversely, you can wind down with a fan and damp towel around your neck before bedtime to mimic the evaporative effects of a swamp cooler.
6. Opt for LED Lights
If you consider yourself eco-conscious, you’re probably already a fan of LED lighting in your home and RV. LED lights use 75% less energy than traditional light bulbs and are more efficient to boot! Instead of wasting resources on producing heat, LEDs put all their energy into creating light. So not only will this type of bulb reduce heat, it’ll cost less to use.
While we’re at it, consider this your reminder to turn off any unused lights throughout the day. This simple move will help keep temperatures comfortable once it’s time for bed.
7. Shore Up Insulation
Many of us think about keeping the cold out when it comes to insulation, but did you know that improving your RV’s insulation can also help cool things down? Places to shore up your insulation include around any windows and doors, skylights and the walls of your camper. Also, it never hurts to invest in high-quality skirting, as warm air can rise up into your RV from below.
Let the Adventure Begin!
With these 7 easy hacks, you should have no issues staying cool, calm and collected on your next RV trip. Because every RV is different, no one tip will work for everyone. Instead, try combining the ones that make sense for you and enjoy a noticeably cooler indoor temperature next time you head out on the open road.
After undergoing three neck surgeries, Marc knew what it was like to live and sleep in constant pain. In 2001, after searching fruitlessly for a comfortable pillow and mattress that supported his neck and back ... Learn More
Quality • Comfort • Cooling
From $1,270.00 $889.00Shop Mattresses
- How to Choose the Best Mattress for You
- GhostBed’s Mattress Size Guide
- Mattress Disposal & Donation Guide
- Do I Need a Box Spring with My Mattress?
- How You Can Finance a Mattress Easily: Two Finance Options
- When Should I Replace My Mattress: The Definitive Guide
- The 3-Step Process to Buying a Mattress Online
- What is the Best Memory Foam Mattress To Purchase?
- Shipping a Mattress: Top Questions Answered
- Memory Foam Mattress in a Box
- How Long Does a Mattress Last?
- How to Choose a Mattress Type: Memory Foam, Latex, Innerspring, Hybrid
- Guide: Why Buy a Split King Mattress Bed
- How Much Does a Good Mattress Cost?
- Guide: Firm vs Soft Mattress - Pros & Cons
- Mattress Firmness Guide & Scale
- What is a Hybrid Mattress?
- Learn How to Clean Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How To Remove Blood Stains From Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Get Urine Out of Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Disinfect & Sanitize Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How To Flip or Rotate Your Mattress (and Why You Should)
- Top 10 Reasons for Eco Friendly Mattress Cleaning
- How To Move a Mattress: Step-by-Step Guide
- Battle of the Beds: Memory Foam vs. Spring Mattresses
- Which is Best: Foundation vs Boxspring
- Which is Best: Latex vs Memory Foam Mattress
- GhostBed vs. Casper Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Purple Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Leesa Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tuft & Needle Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tempur-Pedic Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Lull Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Loom & Leaf Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Saatva Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Brooklyn Bedding Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Helix Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Novosbed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Yogabed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Nectar Mattress Review
- GhostBed Luxe vs Purple 4, Casper Wave, Leesa Sapira & Tempur-Pedic
- 10 Health Benefits of an Adjustable Bed Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Amerisleep Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Lucid Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Tempur-Ergo Plus Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leesa Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Nectar Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leggett & Platt Simplicity 3.0 Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Reverie 4M Adjustable Base
- 6 Benefits of Sleeping with Your Legs Elevated
- 9 Benefits of Sleeping With Your Head Elevated
- 10 Quality of Life Benefits of an Adjustable Base Bed
- 6 Benefits of a Zero Gravity Adjustable Bed Base
- How to Sleep Better with Acid Reflux
- Sleeping Elevated Helps with Spinal Alignment & Spinal Health
- Timeline & History of Adjustable Base Bed
- Why GhostBed’s Adjustable Base is High Quality but Less Expensive Than the Competition?
- What Kind of Mattress Works with an Adjustable Bed?
- GhostPillow vs MyPillow® Comparison
- Cooling Pillow Technology and Benefits
- Guide: How to Wash Any Pillow
- Guide: Best Pillow for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Hip Pain for 2021
- Best Sleeping Positions for Back Pain
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Arthritis for 2020
- Guide: Best Firm Mattress for 2020
- Best Mattress for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Stomach Sleepers
- Best Mattress for Back Pain
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Kids
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for the Money
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Heavy People
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Athletes
- Guide: The Best Mattresses for All Types of Couples
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Snoring
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Fibromyalgia
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Sex
- What is the Best Side to Sleep on: Left or Right?
- Best Sleep Positions During Pregnancy
- Easy Guide to Determining How Much Sleep You Need
- 16 Tips on How to Fall Asleep Quickly
- 4 Tips to Do When You Can't Sleep
- 9 FAQs: Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Cooling Tips for Better Sleep
- Guide: Best Cooling Mattress for Hot Sleepers
- Guide: Science and Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Sleep Trimester Guide for Pregnancy: 1st, 2nd & 3rd Trimester
- Tips for Healthy Sleeping During Pregnancy
- Sleeping When You’re Sick: How to Get the Rest You Need
- Guide: How to Sleep with Insomnia & Sleep Better
- Guide: Restless Legs Syndrome and Sleep
- Guide: Tips & Tricks to Get Kids to Sleep & Recommended Sleep Hours
- Narcolepsy Guide: Signs & Treatments to Relieve Narcolepsy
- Guide: How to sleep Better with a Chronic Illness
- Guide: The Importance of Sleep for Weight Loss
- Sleeping Tips: Complete Sleep Tips Guide for New Moms
- How to Use a Headboard With an Adjustable Base
- 6 Surprising Reasons Why You Can't Get Comfortable in Your Bed
- Size Comparison Guide: Twin vs Twin XL Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: Full vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: King vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: California King vs King Mattress
- The Ultimate Guide to Pillowcases
- Guide: 3 Key Benefits of Silk Pillowcases
- Guide: How to Choose the Best Silk Pillowcase
- Silk Pillowcases: Your Newest Beauty Secret
- Guide: How to Wash Your Silk Pillowcase
- Guide: What is Mulberry Silk?
- How to Care for Your Silk Pillowcase
- How Often to Replace Bed Sheets
- How to Buy the Right Bed Sheets
- How to Wash Bed Sheets
- Guide: Everything You Need to Know About Supima Cotton
- Guide to Cotton Sheets: What to Know About Egyptian, Pima and Supima
- Guide: Why Thread Count Does Not Matter When Buying Sheets
- Guide: Why Buy Cooling Bed Sheets
- Guide: How To Choose the Best Bed Sheets
- Guide to TENCEL® Sheets: Everything You Need to Know
- Mattress Toppers: What Are They & Are They Worth It?
- Guide: How to Select the Best Mattress Topper
- 5 Ways to Make Your Mattress More Comfortable
- How Do I Make My “Hot” Mattress Sleep Cooler?
- How to Care for Your Memory Foam Mattress Topper
- Weighted Blanket Size Guide: Determining the Right Size
- Benefits of Weighted Blankets for Autism
- 10 Health-Boosting Benefits of Weighted Blankets