How to Disinfect & Sanitize Your Memory Foam Mattress
Last Updated on June 29, 2022
If you regularly wake up with a stuffy nose and itchy eyes, chances are that you may need to sanitize your mattress. Learning how to disinfect and sanitize a mattress is great for maintaining the life of your bed and getting a healthy night’s sleep. Whether you’re just looking for a routine cleaning solution for everyday wear or need to do a deep clean to disinfect your mattress, we’re here to help.
Let’s look at how you can keep your memory foam mattress as clean and fresh as possible with these simple solutions for sanitizing and disinfecting. The best part is that most of these solutions use household ingredients, so you can get started cleaning your mattress right away.
Overview: How to Disinfect and Sanitize Your Memory Foam Mattress
There are many ways to disinfect and sanitize your mattress, from using household cleaners to hiring a professional.
- Steam cleaning your mattress provides a deep clean and the hot steam kills bacteria. Just make sure to only steam your mattress lightly, so the moisture doesn’t penetrate the material.
- Antibacterial sprays and enzyme cleaners are readily available at your local drugstore or supermarket and can be effective in disinfecting mattresses.
- Baking soda, white vinegar and even vodka are all common household items that are great for sanitizing and cleaning.
- Professional mattress cleaners use UV light to sanitize mattresses and kill germs.
How to Steam Clean Your Memory Foam Mattress
Dust mites are everywhere, especially mattresses. These pesky little critters are a known allergen and can cause itchy eyes, runny noses and even rashes. Steam cleaning your mattress can help combat dust mites and other allergens.
Here’s how to steam clean your memory foam mattress:
- 1. Remove as much topical dust and dander as possible by vacuuming well using a crevice tool to get into every nook and cranny before you steam clean a mattress. Don’t forget to pay attention to the sides.
- 2. Use a garment or handheld steamer, or rent a commercial steamer, and run the steam cleaner across the surface of the mattress, making sure to get every inch of the surface evenly using short bursts of steam. You do not want to use constant bursts of steam as this will result in soaking the mattress (which can lead to mold).
- 3. Allow the mattress to dry completely before making it up and sleeping on it. Ventilate the room and turn on a fan to speed up the drying process.
How to Clean Your Mattress Using Antibacterial Spray
Antibacterial cleaners are designed to remove and prevent harmful bacteria from household surfaces and fabrics. When choosing a spray or solution, make sure it doesn’t contain bleach, as this will harm the mattress fibers and covering.
Here’s how to clean your mattress using an antibacterial spray:
- 1. Vacuum bed surfaces thoroughly to remove as much topical dust, hair, dander and allergens as possible.
- 2. Spray your disinfectant solution or antibacterial spray lightly across all surfaces of your mattress, including the top, bottom and sides. If you’re using a liquid cleaner, follow the instructions on the bottle and dilute it with the proper amount of water if needed.
- 3. Dip a clean rag in warm water and ring it out as much as possible to wipe down all surfaces after you thoroughly spray them.
- 4. Make sure that the mattress has time to dry completely before sleeping on it.
How to Clean Your Mattress Using Antibacterial Spray
Believe it or not, vodka is an excellent disinfectant! It works similarly to rubbing alcohol, and you don’t need to spend big bucks on top-shelf vodka to get the job done.
Here’s how to sanitize your mattress using vodka:
- 1. Vacuum the mattress to clean off loose dirt and particles.
- 2. Pour the vodka into a spray bottle and then lightly spray to cover all surfaces of the mattress with the vodka without soaking. You may want to dilute the vodka if it’s too powerful. Optional: Add a few drops of your favorite essential oil to the vodka solution to leave your mattress smelling fresh and inviting. We like tea tree oil for it's antimicrobial properties and lavender for it's relaxing aroma.
- 3. Once you’re finished spraying, let the mattress dry completely before turning in for the night.
How to Sanitize a Mattress with Baking Soda & White Vinegar
Two other household products you can use to clean your mattress are baking soda and white vinegar. The best part? These natural cleaners don’t contain any harsh chemicals or fragrances making this route perfect for those with allergies or skin sensitivities. We’ve talked before about the many uses for baking soda, such as using it to remove blood from your mattress, and sanitizing your mattress is no exception.
Here’s how to sanitize your mattress using baking soda and white vinegar:
- 1. First, fill a spray bottle with white vinegar and lightly mist the mattress, making sure not to soak it.
- 2. Let the vinegar sit for about 10 minutes, then blot the surface with a clean towel to absorb the excess.
- 3. Next, sprinkle some baking soda on the mattress, focusing on areas that might have more stains or odors. Try and let the baking soda sit for as long as possible, but at least an hour should do the trick.
- 4. Lastly, vacuum up the excess baking soda and let the mattress dry completely.
How to Clean a Mattress Using an Enzyme Cleaner
Enzyme cleaners are commercial cleaners that are designed to remove stains and odors from mattresses and upholstered furniture. When shopping for an enzyme cleaner, make sure to pick one that is safe to use on mattresses.
When using an enzyme cleaner to disinfect your mattress, follow the instructions on the package. Some of these cleaners need to be diluted, while others can be applied directly on your mattress. Or, spray the enzyme cleaner on a towel or rag and blot your mattress rather than applying the cleaner directly onto the fabric.
How to Disinfect a Mattress with Ultraviolet Light
If you are suffering from intense allergies and your mattress needs a deep clean, look for an expert in cleaning mattresses. These businesses have specially designed commercial-grade machines and equipment made to attack specific allergens.
In addition to steam cleaning, a mattress cleaning company should have the ability to use ultraviolet radiation that is harmful to microorganisms. The UV light works to sanitize your mattress by breaking apart the DNA of the germ, which causes it to stop reproducing and die.
Once you have your fresh, newly sanitized mattress, be sure to keep it as clean as possible moving forward. Always put your mattress on a frame that allows more airflow, such as one with a slatted base. Be sure to remake your bed weekly with clean sheets and bedding.
Frequently Asked Questions
There’s a lot to learn about sanitizing and disinfecting mattresses, but we’re here to help. Below are some of the most frequently asked questions we get about keeping your mattress clean.
How do you sterilize a mattress?
You can use heat, stain removers, antibacterial sprays or solutions to sterilize your mattress. All of the methods listed above are designed to sanitize your mattress safely and effectively, but the one you land on will be based on the individual needs and health of your family.
Can you spray disinfectant on a mattress?
Check the product itself, but yes, you can spray most disinfectant sprays directly onto your mattress. Test the spray on an inconspicuous area first to avoid ruining your mattress, and contact the manufacturer if you have specific questions about the spray itself.
Can I use Lysol spray on my mattress?
According to Lysol’s website, you can spray their disinfectant spray directly on your mattress. Take care not to oversaturate the area, which can cause long drying times. If you’re spraying Lysol directly onto your mattress, make sure it is completely dry before reapplying your mattress protector and sheets.
How do you clean a used mattress?
Have you ever wondered how to clean a used mattress? If you’re considering buying a secondhand mattress, sanitization should be top of mind. When you first get a used mattress, make sure to do a deep clean and sanitization using a steam cleaner, enzyme cleaner, baking soda or even UV light. These methods will help get rid of germs and bacteria that may be lingering around from it's previous life.
Protecting your mattress is so important! We designed our waterproof mattress protector with non-migrating antimicrobial technology that helps eliminate allergens, so it’ll keep your mattress clean, dry and safe to sleep on. Plus, with it's soft and breathable knit top, you won’t get the annoying crinkles & crunches of traditional plastic mattress protectors.
Use code PROTECTOR30 at checkout and take 30% off!
After undergoing three neck surgeries, Marc knew what it was like to live and sleep in constant pain. In 2001, after searching fruitlessly for a comfortable pillow and mattress that supported his neck and back ... Learn More
Quality • Comfort • Cooling
From $1,270.00 $889.00Shop Mattresses
- How to Choose the Best Mattress for You
- GhostBed’s Mattress Size Guide
- Mattress Disposal & Donation Guide
- Do I Need a Box Spring with My Mattress?
- How You Can Finance a Mattress Easily: Two Finance Options
- When Should I Replace My Mattress: The Definitive Guide
- The 3-Step Process to Buying a Mattress Online
- What is the Best Memory Foam Mattress To Purchase?
- Shipping a Mattress: Top Questions Answered
- Memory Foam Mattress in a Box
- How Long Does a Mattress Last?
- How to Choose a Mattress Type: Memory Foam, Latex, Innerspring, Hybrid
- Guide: Why Buy a Split King Mattress Bed
- How Much Does a Good Mattress Cost?
- Guide: Firm vs Soft Mattress - Pros & Cons
- Mattress Firmness Guide & Scale
- What is a Hybrid Mattress?
- Learn How to Clean Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How To Remove Blood Stains From Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Get Urine Out of Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Disinfect & Sanitize Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How To Flip or Rotate Your Mattress (and Why You Should)
- Top 10 Reasons for Eco Friendly Mattress Cleaning
- How To Move a Mattress: Step-by-Step Guide
- Battle of the Beds: Memory Foam vs. Spring Mattresses
- Which is Best: Foundation vs Boxspring
- Which is Best: Latex vs Memory Foam Mattress
- GhostBed vs. Casper Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Purple Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Leesa Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tuft & Needle Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tempur-Pedic Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Lull Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Loom & Leaf Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Saatva Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Brooklyn Bedding Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Helix Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Novosbed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Yogabed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Nectar Mattress Review
- GhostBed Luxe vs Purple 4, Casper Wave, Leesa Sapira & Tempur-Pedic
- 10 Health Benefits of an Adjustable Bed Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Amerisleep Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Lucid Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Tempur-Ergo Plus Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leesa Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Nectar Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leggett & Platt Simplicity 3.0 Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Reverie 4M Adjustable Base
- 6 Benefits of Sleeping with Your Legs Elevated
- 9 Benefits of Sleeping With Your Head Elevated
- 10 Quality of Life Benefits of an Adjustable Base Bed
- 6 Benefits of a Zero Gravity Adjustable Bed Base
- How to Sleep Better with Acid Reflux
- Sleeping Elevated Helps with Spinal Alignment & Spinal Health
- Timeline & History of Adjustable Base Bed
- Why GhostBed’s Adjustable Base is High Quality but Less Expensive Than the Competition?
- What Kind of Mattress Works with an Adjustable Bed?
- How to Use a Bed Frame with an Adjustable Base
- GhostPillow vs MyPillow® Comparison
- Cooling Pillow Technology and Benefits
- Guide: How to Wash Any Pillow
- Guide: Best Pillow for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Hip Pain for 2021
- Best Sleeping Positions for Back Pain
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Arthritis for 2020
- Guide: Best Firm Mattress for 2020
- Best Mattress for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Stomach Sleepers
- Best Mattress for Back Pain
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Kids
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for the Money
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Heavy People
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Athletes
- Guide: The Best Mattresses for All Types of Couples
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Snoring
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Fibromyalgia
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Sex
- What is the Best Side to Sleep on: Left or Right?
- Best Sleep Positions During Pregnancy
- Easy Guide to Determining How Much Sleep You Need
- 16 Tips on How to Fall Asleep Quickly
- 4 Tips to Do When You Can't Sleep
- 9 FAQs: Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Cooling Tips for Better Sleep
- Guide: Best Cooling Mattress for Hot Sleepers
- Guide: Science and Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Sleep Trimester Guide for Pregnancy: 1st, 2nd & 3rd Trimester
- Tips for Healthy Sleeping During Pregnancy
- Sleeping When You’re Sick: How to Get the Rest You Need
- Guide: How to Sleep with Insomnia & Sleep Better
- Guide: Restless Legs Syndrome and Sleep
- Guide: Tips & Tricks to Get Kids to Sleep & Recommended Sleep Hours
- Narcolepsy Guide: Signs & Treatments to Relieve Narcolepsy
- Guide: How to sleep Better with a Chronic Illness
- Guide: The Importance of Sleep for Weight Loss
- Sleeping Tips: Complete Sleep Tips Guide for New Moms
- How to Use a Headboard With an Adjustable Base
- 6 Surprising Reasons Why You Can't Get Comfortable in Your Bed
- How to Train Yourself to Sleep on Your Back
- Size Comparison Guide: Twin vs Twin XL Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: Full vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: King vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: California King vs King Mattress
- The Ultimate Guide to Pillowcases
- Guide: 3 Key Benefits of Silk Pillowcases
- Guide: How to Choose the Best Silk Pillowcase
- Silk Pillowcases: Your Newest Beauty Secret
- Guide: How to Wash Your Silk Pillowcase
- Guide: What is Mulberry Silk?
- How to Care for Your Silk Pillowcase
- How Often to Replace Bed Sheets
- How to Buy the Right Bed Sheets
- How to Wash Bed Sheets
- Guide: Everything You Need to Know About Supima Cotton
- Guide to Cotton Sheets: What to Know About Egyptian, Pima and Supima
- Guide: Why Thread Count Does Not Matter When Buying Sheets
- Guide: Why Buy Cooling Bed Sheets
- Guide: How To Choose the Best Bed Sheets
- Guide to TENCEL® Sheets: Everything You Need to Know
- Mattress Toppers: What Are They & Are They Worth It?
- Guide: How to Select the Best Mattress Topper
- 5 Ways to Make Your Mattress More Comfortable
- How Do I Make My “Hot” Mattress Sleep Cooler?
- How to Care for Your Memory Foam Mattress Topper
- Weighted Blanket Size Guide: Determining the Right Size
- Benefits of Weighted Blankets for Autism
- 10 Health-Boosting Benefits of Weighted Blankets