GhostBed Luxe vs Purple 4, Casper Wave, Leesa Sapira & Tempur-Pedic
Last Updated on February 27, 2021
As memory foam mattresses become the bedding of choice more companies are focusing on designing their own memory foam mattress that they claim is the best. The mattress wars are on and people want to know who the winner is, so they can purchase the best mattress to achieve the most superlative sleep possible. Spring mattresses are so last century. The development and continuing perfection of the memory foam mattress has brought new awareness to its abilities. Memory foam allows for even support of the body’s weight to relieve aches to allow for the best sleep potential.
Best Overall Mattress
Whether bed-in-a-box, or delivered from a store, the fight is now on to gain the top spot for being hailed as the best mattress to lull one off to dreamland. When comparing GhostBed Luxe to Casper Wave, Tempur-Flex Supreme Breeze, Leesa Sapira, and Purple 4 all promise to contour the body for support but the Luxe is the only one truly built to cool as well. All the beds have taken attention to details in providing lovely covers that are easily spot cleaned.
The GhostBed Luxe certainly takes the lead for its impressive profile at 13-inches high, only matched in height by Purple 4, towering most of the competitors who only stand at 11 or 11.5-inches tall. With the 13-inch height and amazing cooling and adaption capabilities the Luxe delivers on comfort. Add to this mattress’ top rating of 10 for both its trial period and warranty, with a price that is tough to beat, and the GhostBed Luxe certainly proves itself to be the best overall mattress.
Compiled as per Mattress Advisor & Mattress Clarity
|GHOSTBED LUXE||CASPER WAVE||TEMPUR-Pedic||LEESA SAPIRA||PURPLE 4|
|I. PRICE (Queen Size)(Mattress Clarity)||$3,035.00 $2,125.00||$1995||$3799||$1595||$2799|
|II. COMFORT(Mattress Clarity)
NOTE: Combination of Support, Sleeping Hot, Motion Transfer
|III. MATERIALS/ DURABILITY||8.5||8.5||9||9||9|
|IV. WARRANTY(Mattress Clarity)||25 Year Warranty||10 Year Warranty||10 Year Warranty||10 Year Warranty||10 Year Warranty|
|V. TRIAL PERIOD (Sleep Sherpa for GhostBed)||10||9||8||9||9|
When looking for a new mattress it is no longer necessary to step into a store – even for a luxury model. Companies have developed remarkable shrink wrapping technology to fold the memory foam mattress to fit inside a box around the size of a small dorm fridge. This allows for easy ordering and quick delivery to one’s door. Still, not all mattresses are bed-in-a-box types. Tempur-Pedic continues to deliver the old-fashion way and even some bed-in-a-box brands offer white glove delivery to the bedroom as well.
Mattress Clarity and Mattress Advisor have reviewed GhostBed Luxe, Casper Wave, Tempur-Pedic, Sapira, and Purple 4 to assist buyers in making their bed buying decision.
|Size||GhostBed Luxe||Casper Wave||Tempur-Flex||Leesa Sapira||Purple 4|
|Cal KingLonger but Narrow||$2395||$4499||$1795||$3499|
|Split KingLonger but Narrow||$6598|
Numbers do not lie when seeking price information as the prices are easily found on each mattress company website. Certainly, GhostBed Luxe shows an easily managed price for its luxury mattress compared to other competitors.
The new Purple does have a 2 and 3 model as well for those who want a Purple luxury model for a bit lower price with the lesser luxurious Queen Purple 2 priced at $1599. The difference between the Purple 2, 3, and 4 is in their comfort grid height with the 2 at 2-inches, the 3 at 3-inches, and the 4 at 4-inches.
Tempur-pedic mattresses come in different types. The Tempur-pedic is a name associated with fine memory foam mattresses. Its Tempur-Flex Supreme Breeze is a medium feel mattress that is comparable to GhostBed Luxe, Casper Wave, Sapira, and Purple 4. Even with its websites instant savings though, the Tempur-Flex is priced much higher than any of the others and if one is looking for a twin size then they will be out of luck as it is not offered for the Supreme Breeze.
Comfort is most important when seeking the best mattress for one’s money. GhostBed Luxe certainly proves its worth for comfort with its innovative cooling technology matched with its comforting body contouring to relieve pressure points.
All the GhostBed Luxe’s seven layers work to cool for the ultimate sleep experience. The Ghost Ice Fabric cover, made from cooling fibers, works along with the Ghost Ice layer and other gel memory foam layers. The Ghost Ice is a new phase change technology used in the Luxe foam for core cooling to keep the mattress from heating up during sleep.
The Casper Wave concentrates comfort aimed at combination sleepers who find themselves in various positions during their time in dreamland. With a zoned construction, it works give support where needed while staying soft where support is not required without making the sleeper feel stuck. The Wave does have cooling technology to prevent sleeping hot, although this is not its priority – as with the GhostBed Luxe.
Tempur-Flex Supreme Breeze
For the price one will pay for a Tempur-Pedic one will expect that this line of mattresses will provide the best in comfort. Unfortunately, price does not equate the best comfort. The company that made memory foam mattresses popular also has had complaints through the years about their beds sleeping hot. With new technology Tempur-Pedic has worked to combat the heated-up issue. The result is their Breeze models. The Tempur-Flex Supreme Breeze aims to prevent sleepers from feeling stuck while also sleeping cooler.
Sapira by Leesa
Sapira proves to be comfortable but firmer than average – so side sleepers may not enjoy this bed. With the firmness, does come an excellent support system for those who have back problems or need support for some extra pounds. The Sapira mattress proves well with motion transfer as well as edge support which both allow for the best of sleep comfort when sharing the bed. Those who enjoy a soft bed for sinking into may not find comfort with the Sapira.
Although the Purple 4 grid may take some time to get used to, it does give the sleeper a comforting feel of weightlessness. The coils work with the grid to create airflow for cooler sleeping while also providing support and pressure relief for the body’s joints. Those who do not like a unique feel that takes time to adjust to may not want to pick the Purple 4.
Materials and durability are important when purchasing a new mattress as one wants their investment to last a lifetime. It is important to note that even if a warranty is good for 25 years, as with GhostBed Luxe, experts agree that one should replace their bed every 7-10 years.
Memory foam has now become the mattress of choice although some manufacturers are working in latex, gel foams, and even coil springs, to create beds for ultimate comfort.
GhostBed has created their Luxe mattress with seven layers combining exclusive cooling technology along with gel memory foam in a 13-inch thick mattress that rises above most competitors. A proprietary Japanese formula makes up the top cover layer of Ghost Ice Fabric comprised of yarn fibers with cooling properties. The second layer is another half-inch of cooling filaments to remove excess heat. Sitting below is the 1-inch of gel memory foam quilted into the cover for a pillow top feel that molds with each body. A fourth Ghost Ice Layer is crafted of innovative phase change material that works to capture heat away as it contours to the body. Gel-infused memory foam makes up the fifth layer which works to absorb and dissipate heat while relieving pressure points. The sixth exclusive Ghost Bounce Layer works to contour to the body while also preventing a dreaded sinking feeling in its quick ability to bounce back to its original structure. For long-lasting durability, the seventh support core layer is built from high density foam to provide a strong supportive foundation.
The Casper Wave mattress stands at 11.5-inches high and is constructed with 5 layers below its soft cover. Its top layer is 1-inch of Casper’s exclusive foam known as Flo Foam created to be responsive to relieve pressure points. Below is 1.5-inches of latex foam for support. The third layer is 1.5-inches of Visco Elastic memory foam which works to respond in a quick manner to the body as it moves. For transition to the support layer, a 1.5-inch of a High Resiliency foam with a Polymer Network makes up the fourth layer. The fifth layer is made of 5.5-inches of support foam with contouring.
Tempur-Flex Supreme Breeze
For the price of the Tempur-Pedic mattresses one should want it to be the ultimate in comfort and durability. For the price the Tempur-Flex Supreme Breeze rates about the same in durability as its lower priced competitors. The 11.5-inch high hybrid foam and coil mattress is made up of five layers including its cover.
The Cooling Cover is a lightweight performance fabric crafted with cooling technology. The next layer is for comfort created using Tempur-pedic’s PureCool Tempur-ES material made to work to adapt to the sleeper as it draws away heat from the body. A third Response Layer works to support as it evenly distributes the body weight on the mattress. The fourth Dynamic Support Layer is created using densely-placed precision coils that work with the above Response Layer in reacting to contour to the body as it moves. A base layer serves as the fifth layer to support the other layers as well as disperse heat.
Sapira by Leesa
Below the Sapira by Leesa’s comfortable cover is a 5-layer construction that makes up the 11-inch high mattress. Like the Tempur-Flex Supreme Breeze, the Sapira too is a hybrid that combines a coil system with foam. The top layer is made of 1.5-inch Sapira’s trademarked Cooling Avena Foam that is said to work to be responsive while reducing pressures and sleeping cool. A pressure-relieving 1.5-inch high-density memory foam that contours to the body makes up layer two. The third layer is a 1-inch support foam base for the above layers as it transitions to the coils. A 6-inch Quantum core pocket coil system is the fourth layer. for the fifth layer is another 1-inch support foam base.
It is to be noted that the New Purple mattress comes in three choices, the Purple 2, Purple 3, and Purple 4. These new additions to the original Purple all feature the original Purple Smart Comfort Grid but in different heights. What gives the Purple 4 mattress the lofty 13-inch height is the 4-inch high grid. The Purple 3 with a 3-inch grid stands 12-inches tall and the Purple 2 is 11-inches high with a 2-inch grid. It is also important to note that the higher the grid the more weight it will support.
The Purple 4 mattress showcases a 4-inch Purple Smart Comfort Grid as its hyper-elastic polymer top layer under its quilted cover. The grid works to be supportive until optimal pressure is placed on it. Between the grid and coil layers is a 0.5-inch layer of transition foam. A 7.5-inches of durable individually wrapped coils makes up the third layer for support. Encasing the coils and to aid in edge support is a polyfoam outer shell. The base layer is made of 1-inch of foundational foam.
The GhostBed Luxe Mattress 25 Year Warranty certainly places this mattress in the winning spot way above its competitors. The Casper Wave, Tempur-Pedic, Leesa Sapira, and Purple 4 all lag way behind with only 10-year warranties.
GhostBed promises to repair or replace the mattress, at the company’s cost, if GhostBed agrees that the luxe mattress is found defective at any time during the first ten years of original ownership. For years 11 through 25 of ownership in which GhostBed will either repair a defected mattress or replace it at a prorated cost.
Casper Wave, Tempur-Pedic, Leesa Sapira, and Purple 4 all only provide 10 years, from date of purchase, to repair or replace problem mattresses.
V. Trial Period
What sets shopping from home apart from shopping in the store for a mattress are the extra-long trial periods one gets when ordering a mattress via the internet. Whereas in a retail establishment one may get a brief few minutes to try out a mattress, when shopping from the comfort of the home computer one receives quick shipment of a mattress along with months of time to make sure the bed is the pure comfort that one is seeking.
GhostBed is a winner for their 101-night sleep trial period. This tops Casper Wave, Leesa Sapira, and Purple 4’100-night trials by a day and Tempur-Pedic’s 90-night trial period by 11 days. Although Casper does not mention this policy, for all other company’s trial periods, it is asked that one should try their mattress for at least 30 nights, in order to get used to it, before making a final decision to return.
If a return is requested each company states that the original payment will be fully refunded and most state that they will provide free pickup. It is to be noted that each company has their own policy for return when mattress is purchased from a third-party site, such as Amazon.
* Some of the reviewers may have affiliate relationships with GhostBed and receive a commission, similar with other mattress suppliers and consistent with industry practices.
After undergoing three neck surgeries, Marc knew what it was like to live and sleep in constant pain. In 2001, after searching fruitlessly for a comfortable pillow and mattress that supported his neck and back ... Learn More
Quality • Comfort • Cooling
From $1,070.00 $749.00Shop Mattresses
- How to Choose the Best Mattress for You
- Mattress Size Guide
- Mattress Disposal & Donation Guide
- Do I Need a Boxspring with My Mattress: Foundation Choices
- How You Can Finance a Mattress Easily: Two Finance Options
- When Should I Replace My Mattress: The Definitive Guide
- Three Step-Process to Buying a Mattress Online
- What is the Best Memory Foam Mattress To Purchase?
- Shipping a Mattress: Top Questions Answered
- Memory Foam Mattress in a Box
- How Long Does a Mattress Last?
- How to Choose a Mattress Type: Memory Foam, Latex, Innerspring, Hybrid
- Guide: Why Buy a Split King Mattress Bed
- How Much Does a Good Mattress Cost?
- Guide: Firm vs Soft Mattress - Pros & Cons
- Mattress Firmness Guide & Scale
- Learn How to Clean Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How To Remove Blood Stains From Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Get Urine Stains & Smells Out of Your Memory Foam Mattress
- How to Disinfect and Sanitize Your Memory Foam Mattress
- The Benefits and 4-Step Process to Rotating Your Mattress
- Top 10 Reasons for Eco Friendly Mattress Cleaning
- How to Save a Water Damaged Mattress During a Hurricane or Flood
- How To Move a Mattress: Step-by-Step Guide
- Which is Best: Memory Foam vs Spring Mattress
- Which is Best: Foundation vs Boxspring
- Which is Best: Latex vs Memory Foam Mattress
- GhostBed vs. Casper Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Purple Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Leesa Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tuft & Needle Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Tempur-Pedic Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Lull Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Loom & Leaf Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Saatva Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Brooklyn Bedding Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Helix Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Novosbed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs Yogabed Mattress Review
- GhostBed vs. Nectar Mattress Review
- GhostBed Luxe vs Purple 4, Casper Wave, Leesa Sapira & Tempur-Pedic
- 10 Health Benefits of an Adjustable Bed Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Amerisleep Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Lucid Adjustable Base Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Tempur-Ergo Plus Review
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leesa Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Nectar Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Leggett & Platt Simplicity 3.0 Adjustable Base
- GhostBed Adjustable Base vs Reverie 4M Adjustable Base
- 6 Benefits of Sleeping with Your Legs Elevated
- 9 Benefits of Sleeping Elevated
- 10 Quality of Life Benefits of an Adjustable Base Bed
- Benefits of a Zero Gravity Adjustable Bed Base
- How to Sleep Better with Acid Reflux
- Sleeping Elevated Helps with Spinal Alignment & Spinal Health
- Timeline & History of Adjustable Base Bed
- Why GhostBed’s Adjustable Base is High Quality but Less Expensive Than the Competition?
- GhostPillow vs MyPillow® Comparison
- Cooling Pillow Technology and Benefits
- Guide: How to Wash Any Pillow
- Guide: Best Pillow for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Hip Pain for 2020
- Best Sleeping Positions for Back Pain
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Arthritis for 2020
- Guide: Best Firm Mattress for 2020
- Best Mattress for Side Sleepers
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Stomach Sleepers
- Best Mattress for Back Pain
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Kids
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for the Money
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Heavy People
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Athletes
- Guide: The Best Mattresses for All Types of Couples
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Snoring
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Fibromyalgia
- Guide: Best Tips & Mattress for Sex
- What is the Best Side to Sleep on: Left or Right?
- Best Sleep Positions During Pregnancy
- Easy Guide to Determining How Much Sleep You Need
- 16 Tips on How to Fall Asleep Quickly
- 4 Tips to Do When You Can't Sleep
- 9 FAQs: Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Cooling Tips for Better Sleep
- Guide: Best Cooling Mattress for Hot Sleepers
- Guide: Science and Benefits of Sleeping Cool
- Sleep Trimester Guide for Pregnancy: 1st, 2nd & 3rd Trimester
- Tips for Healthy Sleeping During Pregnancy
- 9 Sleep Tips When Feeling Sick & How to Recover Fast
- Guide: How to Sleep with Insomnia & Sleep Better
- Guide: Restless Legs Syndrome and Sleep
- Guide: Tips & Tricks to Get Kids to Sleep & Recommended Sleep Hours
- Narcolepsy Guide: Signs & Treatments to Relieve Narcolepsy
- Guide: How to sleep Better with a Chronic Illness
- Guide: The Importance of Sleep for Weight Loss
- Sleeping Tips: Complete Sleep Tips Guide for New Moms
- Size Comparison Guide: Twin vs Twin XL Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: Full vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: King vs Queen Mattress
- Size Comparison Guide: California King vs King Mattress
- Guide: The Ultimate Guide to Pillowcases
- Guide: 3 Key Benefits of Silk Pillowcases
- Guide: How to Choose the Best Silk Pillowcase
- Silk Pillowcases: Your Newest Beauty Secret
- Guide: How to Wash Your Silk Pillowcase
- Guide: What is Mulberry Silk?
- How to Care for Your Silk Pillowcase
- How Often to Replace Bed Sheets
- How to Buy the Right Bed Sheets
- How to Wash Bed Sheets
- Guide: Why Supima Cotton Sheets and What’s It All About?
- Egyptian, Pima or Supima Cotton Bed Sheets: Which is Best for a Great Sleep?
- Guide: Why Thread Count Does Not Matter When Buying Sheets
- Guide: Why Buy Cooling Bed Sheets
- Guide: How To Choose the Best Bed Sheets